SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Flounder

Cash: 627
Default GI Surf Fishing

I have a trip to GI planned for memorial week...ive been seeing all the good reports comming out of grand isle fishing on the bay side and from the beach..Our family have been going to the island for a couple of years now and people always tell me that when u wade fish on the beach i need to fish the second trough..does anyone know how far out the second trough is because last year i went out pretty far and never made it another sand bar... i liked to drown from the under tow...i may have went to far out and never noticed the second sand bar..if anyone has any pointers or tips please share!!!
Old 05-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If the wind isnt blowing from the south strong you should be good. sometimes the fish are almost on the beach and sometimes they are far out. Ive caught them before standing on the beach they are so close sometimes.I normally go out to the first sandbar fish and alternate fishing between me and the beach and out to the gulf till I find what the pattern is
Old 05-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If i get there before day light i start casting from the beach. Fan cast the area then walk out to where your 1st cast stopped and do it again. Like Meaux said once you get a good cast length off the beach, fish towards the beach as well as towards the gulf.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Flounder

Cash: 615

I tried it couple yrs ago myself. I almost drowned, Im in the same boat as you. Some more pointers on how to wade fish would be great.

Thanks for the advice from the above posters.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Flounder

Thanks guys last year was the first year I've tried from the beach I've always been in the boat...we tried live bait and plastic.. we had went in June right after that hurricane that barely missed Louisiana...I just think that we just picked a bad time to go so that's y we decided to go in may

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Swordfish

Here is the one thing EVERYONE! should have when wading http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...UBMAc&dur=1692
This basket is great to hold your catch. sharks don't bother them . And the best part if you get in trouble ,rip tide, cramps, whatever. You can drop the rod and get on top of this device and it will float you. Must be the one w/ double rings! I think available at bass pro shops.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Here is the one thing EVERYONE! should have when wading http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...UBMAc&dur=1692
This basket is great to hold your catch. sharks don't bother them . And the best part if you get in trouble ,rip tide, cramps, whatever. You can drop the rod and get on top of this device and it will float you. Must be the one w/ double rings! I think available at bass pro shops.
x2...Its kinda makes you a lil nervous when you fell that tugging on your stringer lol
Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

One afternoon a few years back we went surf fishing in GI. We had just got there that afternoon and wanted to try it out before dark. We only had one floating basket to keep fish. We caught so many trout that afternoon that when I went to lift the basket out the water the styrofoam ring just crumbled. Trip I will never forget.

Next morning my buddy bought a stringer at Bridgeside. Strings up 20-30 of our best trout. We go to leave and he lifts stringer and there are 0 fish on it. We were so pissed! No sharks, his buoy just came off the end and they all swam free. But we caught over 100 trout that morning so we got over it once we had to start cleaning.

Never had an issue with sharks in GI. Now Holly Beach they have ate em off our stringers before and we caught a few. That's not a good feeling.

This was Mothers Day Weekend so right around this time right behind Bridgeside Marina along the jetties right there. Mostly all on opening night plastics. Good luck!

Last edited by specktator; 05-19-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
x2...Its kinda makes you a lil nervous when you fell that tugging on your stringer lol
Yep!! That tug will get your attention fo sho. It seems like they always eat the biggest ones.

Do net is def. the way to go when wading. Double Do even better. Haven't had a shark ever go after fish in the Do net.

I did have a shark go after a hooked trout on Friday and he got a taste of him. And yes, it was the biggest of the bunch.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:16 PM
Flounder

I have another question for u guys.....I've only fished BL once and we used mirrordines and did really well...I was wondering if they would be just as productive in grand isle...I've only fished with mirrodines one time and never used them anywhere else

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 PM
Swordfish

i do well on them in the winter. never tried them this time of year????
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Flounder

I'm definetly gunna try em out

Old 05-19-2013, 09:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I would think it would be a productive bait as well as topwater if its calm enough.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

It works well. Like Tater said tho. Topwater us better
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Flounder

Cash: 615

Would be alot fun to ride down to GI. Hard to though its 5 hrs away. Cant go there very often.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:12 AM
Flounder

Thanks for the info....I'll post some pics when we go I just haven't figured out how to yet from my phone...