SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,165
Default Chiropractors?

What's y'alls opinions of chiropractors? I've been having back problems for a while so I've started going to see one. I'm not sure how popping my back is supposed to make it better. Am I wasting my money?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

got try a massage instead and tell them what areas to target. Thank me later.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 700

They are cons. I have several bad vertebrae in my neck and went to one for almost a year. After $1800 and not much pain difference I called it quits. I did x-rays and listened to all the bs and how it would take time for the process to work. My neck would feel better for about a hour then be in pain again. After about 11 months I sat down with the chiropractor and asked him to take new x-rays. We compared to the old one and there was 0 difference. He then suggested I may need surgery and that he had done all he could. I guess surgery is my next step b/c i have been living with sever neck pains for the last 13 years and it is getting unbearable.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I had a lower back issue, went to a few sessions and it got better.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,320

for some it helps, for others it don't seems like.

Good luck with the neck suregery. I have had 4 cervical fusions.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Beginning in the fall of '08, I had a bad case of Siatica in my left leg. It's caused by the nerve being "pinched" by a bulging disc in the lumbar region of your back. I suffered through it for 5 months...listening to surgeons telling me that the only cure was surgery. When I found out about those stretchin' tables at chiropractor's offices....I tried it as a last resort. I went for 8-10 visits, 20 minutes each, with no "adjustments". My pain, which was excruciating at times, was gone and it has not re-occured. So, I firmly believe that, although it might not help every situation, it made a huge difference in my life.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Chiropractor center for pain and rehab on mcneese st. 337-502-5303. There is several in there but ask for Donnie. He has helped me and my wife out big time.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,065

it worked for me! neck all better!!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

Totally believe in them!!!
Saved my college football career...
And I go 1 x week still. If I miss a week I feel it.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Chiropractors can be extremely beneficial but often get a bad rap. One of my best friends turned down med school to be a Chiro. I have sever back issues and he has helped me significantly with pain management issues and even pointed me to an Orthopedic after recognizing that my problem was more severe than what his services can offer.

If you find one that wants to immediately set up a series of adjustments then run. The good ones will work with you on tailoring activities/programs specifically for you - i.e. adjustments, stretches, posture, etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Tripletail

Today was my fourth visit. I haven't really noticed a difference. I go back to work tomorrow night so I'll really be able to tell if it's doing any good at all. They told me it would take some time to get everything like it needed to be. My treatment is primarily consisting of a few minutes of electro-muscular stimulation and getting my lower back popped. I'm hoping it does the trick, but I guess time will tell.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Chiropractors can be extremely beneficial but often get a bad rap. One of my best friends turned down med school to be a Chiro. I have sever back issues and he has helped me significantly with pain management issues and even pointed me to an Orthopedic after recognizing that my problem was more severe than what his services can offer.

If you find one that wants to immediately set up a series of adjustments then run. The good ones will work with you on tailoring activities/programs specifically for you - i.e. adjustments, stretches, posture, etc.

And, if you have back issues and get one that doesn't ask for your MRI right off the bat......RUN! With the wrong treatment...these guys can make you worse off than you were. I scheduled an appointment initially and was told to bring any MRI or x-ray with me. We sat down and he went over everything and told me whether or not he thought he could help me. He even advised against any back adjustments. My daughter is a licensed massage therapist, and a damn good one. The chiropractor told me to stay as far away from them little fingers as possible.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 685

dude, just go schedule an adjustment, and see how you feel about chiropractors after...feel like a new back..almost..lol

personally, to me, the back is a vital muscle(s) ,and having a strong and well postured back is extremely important.Your back is your biggest muscle, get it big, and you'll even burn more calories, plus have good posture, and have that V SHAPE everybody else wants...
Old 07-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyagasha View Post
dude, just go schedule an adjustment, and see how you feel about chiropractors after...feel like a new back..almost..lol

personally, to me, the back is a vital muscle(s) ,and having a strong and well postured back is extremely important.Your back is your biggest muscle, get it big, and you'll even burn more calories, plus have good posture, and have that V SHAPE everybody else wants...
As I posted earlier I had my fourth visit today. I haven't noticed an improvement yet, but I'm going to give the guy a chance. I've stopped lifting weights since my back has been bothering me so much. I'm going to wait until it's fixed before I start back up. In the meantime I'm going to do more cardio and try to lose some fat.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Dr Chaundry@ Recovery on McNeese has kept me pain free for years now, actually went there this morning for a tune up...

They have a DRX spinal traction rig that will get your alignment right...

Hydro
Old 07-21-2011, 07:03 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUREBAY2200 View Post
Totally believe in them!!!
Saved my college football career...
And I go 1 x week still. If I miss a week I feel it.

That is the difference between Chiropractors and Physical Therapists. PTs fix the root of the problem and Chiros help you for about a week by relieving the pain. I firmly believe in PTs and don't have much faith in Chiros. I think they charge you a lot of money for things like xrays and adjustments and never fix anything.

Just MHO...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott craft View Post
As I posted earlier I had my fourth visit today. I haven't noticed an improvement yet, but I'm going to give the guy a chance. I've stopped lifting weights since my back has been bothering me so much. I'm going to wait until it's fixed before I start back up. In the meantime I'm going to do more cardio and try to lose some fat.

damn, sorry to hear that..i musta been typing when you posted before me. anyways,i cant really speak on your ailments, but from what i've experienced and both my sister's , they helped big time. One of my sisters even had Scoliosis( yeah, remember that **** inschool where they made you take off your shirt too see if you were carrying too much books in your booksack..lol) plus my cousin is a chiro.

for the most part, with injuries, best way to expediate recovery is to get the blood pumping. (if im injured and can't lift, i go walk around the neighborhood no shirt, get my tan on...)plus you get the cardio, and some sun.

another option, that maybe--maybe..try out acupuncture. Man i've heard great things about accupuncture, from neck problems, Addictions,Fatigue Allergies

and here's more of what it can treat..
just a FYI

Fibromyalgia
Arthritis Flu
Asthma Headaches
Back Pain Hypertension
Carpal Tunnel Immune Diseases
Chemo Nausea Insomnia
Chronic Pain Joint Pain
Colds Menopause
Depression Muscle Pain
Digestive Problems PMS
Ear Problems Urinary Problems
Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

chiro don't really help with anything other than back muscle spasms and getting the muscles to relax. and all these pain management clinics just give pain pills and never help anything.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

My L5-S1 is compressed and needs adjustment every once in a while. Like Salty said my Chiro only used the electro shock on me before reading my mri. It works for me and my and my kids.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
chiro don't really help with anything other than back muscle spasms and getting the muscles to relax. and all these pain management clinics just give pain pills and never help anything.
+1 on the pain management clinics....21st century colleged degree'd dope dealers..