SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 494
Default Grand Isle in January

I am heading down to Grand Isle in January for the first time. Can anyone recommend a decent and cheap place to stay for a few days. Nothing fancy, fish camp style is OK, but would want access to fish cleaning station (hope I get to use it). Thanks, and hopefully can post a report on fish caught.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

got a couple places that you can get room w/ microwave for 40 a night. Whereever you decide try to deal i it sounds high .They don't get much business that time of year.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Sand Trout

eman; That sounds about right for my budget..
Old 11-03-2014, 08:49 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Ms. Millie at Cajun Holiday is a great place to stay. Very personable and, access to cleaning stations.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

I bet Bridge side wouldn't be bad that time of year either. You will pretty much have pick of the island. Very slow that time of year.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Sand Trout

Literally an exploration trip, trying to widen my experiences. I am mostly a cold weather fisherman and have fished form Appalachicola to Hopedale. But want to start fishing more to the west. Is live bait going to be a problem for me at that time of year?
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 811

I agree with ms. Millie at cajun holiday. And they have been refebishing the rooms.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Flounder

Cash: 811

Cajun holiday also has 3 camps behind the motel where you can fish at night with lights
Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4real View Post
Literally an exploration trip, trying to widen my experiences. I am mostly a cold weather fisherman and have fished form Appalachicola to Hopedale. But want to start fishing more to the west. Is live bait going to be a problem for me at that time of year?
You should be able to get cacahoe minnows that time of year . shrimp will be a no. Get w/ me closer to time to go and i can get you some more info.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:10 PM
Swordfish

Will you be fishing from bank or boat?
Old 11-04-2014, 12:57 PM
Sand Trout

Thanks to all. eman I will def be in touch. I will be land locked unless I talk myself into a kayak, which in winter I think is a NO. Bridges, piers, and beach are going to be my places to fish on this trip. Was hoping for some live shrimps for trout but guess will have to rely on Gulp or other alternatives.

I looked at Ms. Millie's website. Awful expensive for my taste. I am a no frills type of fisherman, and if it were warmer would be in a tent somewhere. I have a story about one of my fishing trips where I ended up staying in a "storage container" lol. But, I went to fish.

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

Leeville is a short drive. Good access to the marsh and kayak rentals. LA 1 might produce. Doubt the beaches or piers will be much other than bull reds but you never know until you try.
I also remember there was a guy who did small boat rentals but don't remember his info. You might look into that as well.

You can hit me up if u want to come back up the bayou to the mines or dularge. I fish almost all year long
Old 11-05-2014, 10:01 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
Leeville is a short drive. Good access to the marsh and kayak rentals. LA 1 might produce. Doubt the beaches or piers will be much other than bull reds but you never know until you try.
I also remember there was a guy who did small boat rentals but don't remember his info. You might look into that as well.

You can hit me up if u want to come back up the bayou to the mines or dularge. I fish almost all year long
Thanks friend, I just may do that. I usually get out early and fish a couple or three hours, breakfast, then do some roaming around to see what the area has to offer, nap, then back for late afternoon fishing until a bit after sundown. It usually takes a couple of trips for me to really learn an area and to be able to take full advantage. Maybe Ill see you.

Mitch
Old 11-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
You should be able to get cacahoe minnows that time of year . shrimp will be a no. Get w/ me closer to time to go and i can get you some more info.
Lil bro' Goathead got on a few from LA. 1 last week. Reds, specks and whites. Live cocahoes and Mr. Champ.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:55 PM
Sand Trout

Well guys, I have solved the "Where to Stay" quextion; I bought me a bed on wheels. So now it will be where is the bestest and cheapest campground. Ifn the fishn aint good in and around GI, Ill be headin inland a bit looking for them specks and slot reds. I be seeing yall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141111_154200.jpg (42.5 KB, 86 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 10:38 PM
Flounder

Cash: 618

Sweet. Where would u go inland if GI doesn't work? The wife and I just got a pop up so I'm interested in where would u go
Old 11-13-2014, 11:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4real View Post
I am heading down to Grand Isle in January for the first time. Can anyone recommend a decent and cheap place to stay for a few days. Nothing fancy, fish camp style is OK, but would want access to fish cleaning station (hope I get to use it). Thanks, and hopefully can post a report on fish caught.
try catfish cabins here in golden meadow (even though its advertised as Galliano)

http://www.gallianoinn.com/

great fishing and its 20 minutes inland from grand isle so you can fish LA1 the whole way to grand isle and back or go down to fourchon (it was closed for a while but I think you can fish the beach there but others may know for sure)

the prices here will be much better then staying on the island and you still have all the same options available to you plus there might be some guys on this sight you can get advice and "maybe" have an empty seat in their boat you could use. there are lots of great friendly people at this sight.

there is a free public launch right there in golden meadow about a mile away and PAC (Point Au Chein) is more protected inland water so the kayak is a great idea and it wont be a problem at all for you.