SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-07-2009, 08:06 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391
Default Curado

Fishinpox, my neighbor fished a CuradoE7 out of Lake Pontchartrain today. When he first told me...I thought it might be yours but it was mounted on an AllStar rod. I walked over to see what the rig looked like and it was unbelievable. The rod had mega rust on the reel seat but everything else looked good. The Curado's pawl and worm gear was coated with rust. Amazingly, the spool still turned so it probably hadn't been submerged very long. He's taking it apart to look at damage and see how much it will cost to restore it.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

That's why I use them!!! Sink em for a month and just add line and roll!!!! I want some pics because I don't believe that there was rust on that reel!!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
That's why I use them!!! Sink em for a month and just add line and roll!!!! I want some pics because I don't believe that there was rust on that reel!!
I'd like to see them too. I didn't think that rust could form underwater.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Great White

Pics? Y'all think I'm BS'n? If I had a camera worth a crap I'd send ya a pic of the Curado I left in my pool for a week back in December. Remember that one....W?
Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

I was reading a post on a shimano site that said they was going to stop making the e series because of corrosion problems with them
Old 07-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducktrickster View Post
I'd like to see them too. I didn't think that rust could form underwater.

Ducky, I'm no chemist but I disagree. If the object is a high-grade stainless steel...then maybe not. If it's not a high-grade stainless then the water must be free of dissolved oxygen. Drop a galvanized nail in a metal buck filled with water. The nail and the bucket bottom will rust..."underwater".
Old 07-07-2009, 09:26 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
I was reading a post on a shimano site that said they was going to stop making the e series because of corrosion problems with them

Wait just a damn minute, D...you're confusin' me. Is rust and corrosion the same thing?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Redfish

Cash: 653

Salty; corrosion=rust=corrosion all the same thing. Got a good friend that works for an oilfield loggin company and he gave me some badA** nickle monel cable. they use it H2S wells i think. but it dont rust at all in salt water. if you can find some its good stuff. I've had it on my anchor for @3yrs and the only problem i've had was the "stainless" clamps corroded /rusted off. SK
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I dropped one of mine twice in the saltwater and I never clean my reels .....not one time have I had trouble with any of them!!! Shimano don't make junk reels
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Fishinpox, my neighbor fished a CuradoE7 out of Lake Pontchartrain today. When he first told me...I thought it might be yours but it was mounted on an AllStar rod. I walked over to see what the rig looked like and it was unbelievable. The rod had mega rust on the reel seat but everything else looked good. The Curado's pawl and worm gear was coated with rust. Amazingly, the spool still turned so it probably hadn't been submerged very long. He's taking it apart to look at damage and see how much it will cost to restore it.
man that would be sweet if it was mine im over it now and have bought 3 more curados!!! crap i see it as my rig being structure for my kids to fish!!!!! anyways about the stainless steel a couple years ago my buddy hooked a 9ftx 4ft stainless steel resturant prep table while rig fishing he thought it was a catch of a life time pullin that sucker in but it was pretty rusty now it sittis at the camp in grandisle and continues to get worse everyyear
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,935

Quote:
Ducky, I'm no chemist but I disagree. If the object is a high-grade stainless steel...then maybe not. If it's not a high-grade stainless then the water must be free of dissolved oxygen. Drop a galvanized nail in a metal buck filled with water. The nail and the bucket bottom will rust..."underwater".
Thats why they are going to stop making them at the end of the year. They are using a cheaper grade and its not holding up to exspectatoins thats why they are a little cheaper. you know that saying you get what you paid for
Old 07-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Great White

Quote:
I dropped one of mine twice in the saltwater and I never clean my reels .....not one time have I had trouble with any of them!!! Shimano don't make junk reels
I never said Shimano made "junk reels". But, those Curados are not as bullet-proof as you may think. I've seen rust on several of 'em....all in the same place...on the pawl. Now, for the $$$ I do think it's the best buy in a casting reel. They changed the materials to make these lighter than the older models and, obviously, these materials are not as good. My bro-in-law works for 'em and he says the Curado E-Series is an "economy" reel. Now, if only they were as tough as "economy" ribeyes.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Great White

W, if someone were to give you a brand new 2009 Chronarch or Calais, would you use it or would you just deny yourself the opportunity to fish with the absolute best baitcasters that money can buy?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I never said Shimano made "junk reels". But, those Curados are not as bullet-proof as you may think. I've seen rust on several of 'em....all in the same place...on the pawl. Now, for the $$$ I do think it's the best buy in a casting reel. They changed the materials to make these lighter than the older models and, obviously, these materials are not as good. My bro-in-law works for 'em and he says the Curado E-Series is an "economy" reel. Now, if only they were as tough as "economy" ribeyes.
That is not RUST.....I will take pics of my 4 reels and I promise they have never been clean since day one!!!! They have been sprayed ,dropped,fished and abused in saltwater!!!! I have never seen any type of rust!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 PM
Banned

now we're gettin somewhere......
Old 07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Great White

W, you didn't answer my question. Would you stubbornly not use the Calais because you're afraid of how much more reel it actually is?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
W, you didn't answer my question. Would you stubbornly not use the Calais because you're afraid of how much more reel it actually is?
You buy me one and I will use it.....Curados are the best light tackle reels!!!! Have you heard of anyone complaining about these reels yet???? I have sold over 400 this year and not one person has said anything bad about them!!!! So why spend more money?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Great White

Quote:
You buy me one and I will use it.....Curados are the best light tackle reels!!!! Have you heard of anyone complaining about these reels yet???? I have sold over 400 this year and not one person has said anything bad about them!!!! So why spend more money?

Well, with you being the self-proclaimed "best fisherman on Big Lake", I just thought you would use nothing but the best. I'll use a Calais with Power Pro on a 7 1/2' Cenderi and cast over my shoulder farther than you can cast forward with a Curado. Same bait.

BTW, a Curado is not the "best light tackle reels". If that were true, a Calais wouldn't have twice as many bearings and cost 2 1/2 times as much.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
Well, with you being the self-proclaimed "best fisherman on Big Lake", I just thought you would use nothing but the best. I'll use a Calais with Power Pro on a 7 1/2' Cenderi and cast over my shoulder farther than you can cast forward with a Curado. Same bait.

BTW, a Curado is not the "best light tackle reels". If that were true, a Calais wouldn't have twice as many bearings and cost 2 1/2 times as much.

Lets look at Facts from fisherman......I fish 99xs more than you a year and cast half million times!!!! I also talk with many guys who are on the water 100 plus days a year....I'm not talking any series just reel names here

This is what I heard over the past 5 years

Calcutta... Dont last or hold up in salty conditions
Core.....Dont waist the money if your fishing saltwater ...Needs lots of cleaning
Citica (sp)....Junk in Saltwater....Monster in Fresh

Cruado...Stands alone!!! all purpose reel hold up great in saltwater coditions!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I was out fishing with someone last month that had a fairly new looking Calais. I tried it for several cast......it cast about the same as my 6 year old 200BSF curado but not nearly as smooth reeling as my reel.