SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 04-22-2016, 07:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,210
Default Lacassine and Lightning 4/21/2016

Fished the evening, 5-7:45 pm. Caught 6, all small. Missed four short-strikers.
Spoke with a nice guy at the dock while loading the boat who lives by there and has a good amount of experience in the Pool. He said that the lightning and thunder they had with the significant rainfall spooks the fish into not biting.
This made sense, with the Pool being so shallow.
Was wondering what you guys thought about this theory.
*Also: I first saw this same gentleman earlier in the evening while I was trolling a canal in the North Pond. He stopped his motor about 65 yards away from me.
I'm thinking, "this dude is gonna start fishing right by my a$$ in this huge pond".
He lowers his trolling motor into the water about 40 yards from me, and we engage in general ****-chat. I'm still thinking, "well, would you look at this crap..."
He trolls past me about 30 more yards and fires up his outboard!!!
This was probably the most good-natured example of simple sportsmanship I have ever encountered. That guy went above and beyond, out of his way, and at a considerable inconvenience to himself, to respect the fact that I was trying to catch a fish.
That is the kind of fisherman I want my son to grow up and be. And the kind of fisherman I will try to work on being, myself.
There are still good folks out there.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

When i'm fishing the canals i wave everyone on as in to come full speed thru. Get it over with and has never really bothered fishing. But if I personnaly dont get the come on wave we idle thru. Trolling overkill. But does sound like a very nice guy
Old 04-22-2016, 07:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
When i'm fishing the canals i wave everyone on as in to come full speed thru. Get it over with and has never really bothered fishing. But if I personnaly dont get the come on wave we idle thru. Trolling overkill. But does sound like a very nice guy
This!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2016, 09:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Speaking of that. I've had some fellas wave me on but it's still hard for me to fly by someone.. Feel like such a d***
Old 04-22-2016, 09:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 679

Even tho I get waved on I still idle through because I can't stand when somebody hauls *** by me canal or not

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2016, 06:57 AM
Tripletail

That's what I'm saying: overkill!
Someone took water etiquette and brought it to the next level.
Didn't have to, but just did.
Made me feel good about the world for awhile.
Anyway, has anyone ever heard about lightning adversely affecting fish?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,700

I also hate when I wave someone by and they still idle lol keep that in mind
Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I always wave ppl to fly by me... it doesnt hurt the fishing at all and gets it over quickly... Its to be expected IMO if im fishing a main canal. I know everyone eventually has to pass me.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,357

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyflemmons View Post
I also hate when I wave someone by and they still idle lol keep that in mind
I'm one of those guys you hate most of the time. Although I wave people past when I'm fishing the canals, I have a hard time blowing by people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Tripletail

I came up on a guy in a boat in a main canal that was partially hidden behind a clump of bushes and didn't see him until the last moment. I slowed down and waved the "sorry about that" wave. I then thought he was waving us on, telling us to just keep going, so I did.
A little while later, my buddy and I talked about it and he said the guy wasn't waving is on but was raising his hand and griping. Lol.
I really do try to be as cordial as possible... My bad.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
I came up on a guy in a boat in a main canal that was partially hidden behind a clump of bushes and didn't see him until the last moment. I slowed down and waved the "sorry about that" wave. I then thought he was waving us on, telling us to just keep going, so I did.
A little while later, my buddy and I talked about it and he said the guy wasn't waving is on but was raising his hand and griping. Lol.
I really do try to be as cordial as possible... My bad.

You'd think they would make you have a flag or something sticking up high like on 4 wheelers at sand dunes ..., I get nervous when coming up to intersection ..
Old 04-25-2016, 05:45 PM
Tripletail

Can't be too safe. That's a good idea, but it wouldn't have helped the guy in my story.
I'm sure they have accidents semi-regularly out there. A lot of blind 90 degree intersections and whatnot. I obey the No Wake Zones but...
Old 05-05-2016, 01:21 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 460
Default Lightning repercussions

I've personally seen lightning bring the bite to a halt both in freshwater and saltwater. We were in Willow Lake once in mid-summer catching bass like crazy and one of those fast moving storms hit before we could get out of the way. Fortunately it didn't last long, but the bite completely shut down afterwards. It also happened to me in West Cove one summer morning, I was catching trout and reds on the same reef and looked around to realize that I had just a small window of opportunity to get the hell out of there before a storm hit. I went back to the landing at Hog Island to wait out the storm and was able to get back out on the water in about 30 minutes. The bite was totally non-existent after the storm. I quit pushing my luck with approaching thunderstorms after that, it's not worth it to maybe catch a few more fish.