SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 866
Default Public hunting Kansas

Anybody know anything about public deer hunting in kansas. I pulled a tag this year bc I was supposed to get on lease with a few friends but that fell through after the guy that was managing another buddies lease took it out from under us so now I am looking to fill my tag on public land, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoods17 View Post
Anybody know anything about public deer hunting in kansas. I pulled a tag this year bc I was supposed to get on lease with a few friends but that fell through after the guy that was managing another buddies lease took it out from under us so now I am looking to fill my tag on public land, so any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Look at a map of public lands. Google earth the one's you are interested in to narrow down your search. Then start calling the biologists on the ones you are interested in and ask the as many questions as you can think of.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

That sucks.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Redfish

Cash: 639

That sucks. You should just go by yourself.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I just sent a text to a dear friend of mine in KS City about this...Let me see if I can get a response for you.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

I went turkey hunting on public land in Natoma, KS in May. Some of my friends are landmen in Kansas and I just went stay with them in Hays, KS. Farmers have agreed with the WLF up there and they designate their property as "walk in public hunting" for turkey. There is literally somewhere you can turkey hunt within a few miles of you anywhere in KS. I saw alot of deer. I am sure there is possibly something similar for deer. Anywhere you go in KS will be good hunting. Just look at different WMAs. I went to Cedar Bluffs and another WMA in that area I can't remember as well. Look like good areas for deer. Also don't be afraid to knock on doors and ask someone/landowners/farmers if they would allow you to hunt their property. They usually let.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Are you looking to rifle or bow hunt? Got my friend on the line about it now.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

I use to live in Kansas and quite a few of my buddies would apply for tags every year and hunt the public lands there. I lived in SW Kansas and my buddies hunted LaCygne Wildlife Management Area and they always killed. The biggest they killed was a massive 9pt that weighed right at 220lbs. Have to do some scouting there; the hunting pressure isnt too bad b/c there are a lot of areas to hunt.... the good ones do have pressure though. Worth a shot going up there b/c you will see some deer. My friends would always hunt the public lands and would alway (100% of the time) find a farmer while they were up there that would allow them to hunt 1-2 days on private land.... go to coffee shops in the am. after hunting and there are always farmers and other hunters there.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 849

I meant SE Kansas....not SW
Old 08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 602

Cgoods. You need to give more information to answer your question. As someone asked. Are you bow hunting or riffle hunting? Riffle season is only 12 days long. No matter what you hunt with you can only hunt two units plus unit 19. What units are your tag for? Between me and Jpcajun we might be able to help you out you need to give more info