SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:52 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 565
Default Anyone shoot a .280 Remington?

I have a Remington Model 700 Mtn Rifle chambered in .280 Rem. It shoots the Hornady SST 139 grain really well. I have never re-loaded ammo but am about to try an learn it. I pretty much have to buy my ammo online. Stores just don't carry it. Every now and then when I make it to Basspro or Sports Academy they sometimes have some corelocks. So, is reloading your own ammo very hard? Easy to blow yourself up? I just ordered " The ABC's of Reloading " so that should get me started I hope. Thanks, Charlton
Old 12-02-2012, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Reloading is not hard and is quite safe when done properly. I shoot a Thompson Center Contender in 7TCU that cannot be bought. I've been reloading these cartridges for about 25 years using an old RCBS hand press. Do your homework and work up your loads. I would load 5ea. rounds of different bullets and powder charges until I found the combination that worked the best.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctchap70 View Post
I have a Remington Model 700 Mtn Rifle chambered in .280 Rem. It shoots the Hornady SST 139 grain really well. I have never re-loaded ammo but am about to try an learn it. I pretty much have to buy my ammo online. Stores just don't carry it. Every now and then when I make it to Basspro or Sports Academy they sometimes have some corelocks. So, is reloading your own ammo very hard? Easy to blow yourself up? I just ordered " The ABC's of Reloading " so that should get me started I hope. Thanks, Charlton
I've always been able to get the same or better accuracy with Hornady bullets in reloads as in Hornady factory. Read at least two reloading manuals. Chase accuracy, not velocity. I've done well with Hodgdon extruded powders: H4350, H4831, H1000 and Fed210M primers. The Rem 700 tends to have a long throat, so you will likely find your best accuracy loading the bullets a bit long, which the Rem 700 LA can handle.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:32 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Reloading is not hard and is quite safe when done properly. I shoot a Thompson Center Contender in 7TCU that cannot be bought. I've been reloading these cartridges for about 25 years using an old RCBS hand press. Do your homework and work up your loads. I would load 5ea. rounds of different bullets and powder charges until I found the combination that worked the best.
Thanks for your comments Paul. I am getting more interested in reloading everytime I get online and read more about it.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:35 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I've always been able to get the same or better accuracy with Hornady bullets in reloads as in Hornady factory. Read at least two reloading manuals. Chase accuracy, not velocity. I've done well with Hodgdon extruded powders: H4350, H4831, H1000 and Fed210M primers. The Rem 700 tends to have a long throat, so you will likely find your best accuracy loading the bullets a bit long, which the Rem 700 LA can handle.
Thanks for your comments MathGeek. I appreciate your input. Charlton
Old 12-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,491

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctchap70 View Post
Thanks for your comments Paul. I am getting more interested in reloading everytime I get online and read more about it.
It's a great and rewarding hobbie! Once you get your load worked out. You should be able to match or even out perform the best store bought rounds.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Flounder

Cash: 739

I handload for my 300 Weatherby..only way I can afford to shoot the sob. Lol Anyway I found a loading for a Barnes txs that my gun LOVES 1" all day long @ 100 yds. A tad bit down on power but hey at 1/3 the $$ of factory ammo im happy happy happy!

Sent from my SAMSUNG INFUSE 4G using Tapatalk