SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 06-08-2015, 03:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 526
Default Buying a boat in Texas

If I buy a pre-owned boat in Texas do I have to pay sales taxes on the boat/motor/trailer or taxes on just taxes on the trailer? I've bought a used boat in LA in the past and I paid taxes on only the trailer but I'm not sure if buying from Texas would be different??
Old 06-08-2015, 07:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

just pay close attention to the titling rules, I "think" you need a title for the motor and boat if its made after a certain date. how long it takes and what you need to do to get those may be a bigger question then paying taxes on them
Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 901

Just the trailer. I bought one in TX a couple years ago had to school board office and to fed tax office get some papers signed but didn't have to pay any tax on boat and motor.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

Same here, I bought a boat in texas a couple years ago and only had to pay taxes on trailer when I registered it. The trailer did not have a title since texas does not require a trailer under a certain size to be titled. At least thats what I was told as the reason for not having a title on trailer when I purchased it.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 495

Just went through this...

You will need TWO Bill of Sales.

#1 for the Trailer (which you pay taxes on), La DMV also requires the trailer license plate registration from TX DMV. B.O.S. must be notorized OR have a copy of sellers DL.

#2. for the Boat/Motor for LDWLF. These are just registration costs. B.O.S. MUST be notorized.

I suggest getting both notorized.

BTW, don't expect LDWLF to move quickly. Been waiting over a month for my registration to come in. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:45 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,308

I just done all this as well!! I paid school and state taxes on the boat and motor, also the taxes at the DMV for the trailer.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM
Flounder

Cash: 734

If you buy from a private individual then it's considered a casual sale and you don't pay taxes on the boat. Only the trailer. But if you are buying from a dealer then Louisiana will expect their sales tax.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2015, 05:05 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 13

I'm in the process of doing this now, seperate bill of sale on the trailer and taxes paid for the amount shown on bill of sale at the dmv. Took me 3 trips but I have la plates on the trailer now. They wanted a notorized bill of sale AND copy of sellers drivers license.

As for the boat and motor, I sent everything off to LDWF May 7th without paying taxes since I bought from an individual, but haven't heard anything back yet. I called week before last and they hadn't gotten to it yet but said they'd call if there were any holdups and to just keep a copy of my registration application in the boat to serve as temporary registration for 60 days.

Hopefully they won't call a few days before my 60 days is up telling me I need to send more paperwork, leaving me high and dry for a while.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:52 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,468

How did it turn out for ya? I read that you send in a completed tax form with the application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
I'm in the process of doing this now, seperate bill of sale on the trailer and taxes paid for the amount shown on bill of sale at the dmv. Took me 3 trips but I have la plates on the trailer now. They wanted a notorized bill of sale AND copy of sellers drivers license.

As for the boat and motor, I sent everything off to LDWF May 7th without paying taxes since I bought from an individual, but haven't heard anything back yet. I called week before last and they hadn't gotten to it yet but said they'd call if there were any holdups and to just keep a copy of my registration application in the boat to serve as temporary registration for 60 days.

Hopefully they won't call a few days before my 60 days is up telling me I need to send more paperwork, leaving me high and dry for a while.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

You have to pay sales tax on a boat that is under 10 year old. On the trailer, you always pay tax. Make sure you have a copy of the Texas boat registration from the previous owner to be supplied to WLF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Redfish

Cash: 669

Oh, and the title must be turned in to the LAWLF, the DOT will need a copy of the trails registration, because most TX boat trailers don't have titles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk