SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090
Default CCA support vs. STAR participation?

I'm struggling with the difference between participating in the STAR tourney and supporting CCA. I would like to enter the STAR to have a chance at winning the prizes. However, I'm not the biggest fan of CCA anymore and don't care to support them. Is participating in STAR for personal reward the same as "supporting" CCA?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:50 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Think about it this way..

If a political party/figure whose views you don't support or agree with was hosting a raffle with prizes, to which the raffle money would be used to advance his/her agenda, would you buy those tickets?
Old 05-16-2015, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Great point
Old 05-16-2015, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default Maybe I'm wrong but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Great point
.....I thought membership in CCA was mandatory if you want to sign up for the STAR tournament?
Old 05-16-2015, 01:02 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
.....I thought membership in CCA was mandatory if you want to sign up for the STAR tournament?
It is.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

You should form your own opinion about whatever it is you support/don't support and not let a few mouth breathers with bro science dictate it. Go to a meeting and see for yourself. Remember that many non-profits are bound by how much money they can bring in. No single organization will ever be able to fix every issue. There is not enough time or money to do it. The money raised by the STAR tournament is very little in the grand scheme of things. Coastal work is EXPENSIVE. Also there is no such thing as a perfect organization. Every organization does certain things that I do not agree with but if the overall cause is a good one the good outweighs the bad. I still support the NRA even though they pizz me off by sending all this spam mail Don't care for everything DU does but they do good trying a overall. Dand aure don't care for every Republican in this country (or even our governor for that matter) but.....
Old 05-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Go to a meeting and ask why they won't do something you believe in You will be ignored and the subject will be changed before you get an answer. Been there done that .
Old 05-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
You should form your own opinion about whatever it is you support/don't support and not let a few mouth breathers with bro science dictate it. Go to a meeting and see for yourself. Remember that many non-profits are bound by how much money they can bring in. No single organization will ever be able to fix every issue. There is not enough time or money to do it. The money raised by the STAR tournament is very little in the grand scheme of things. Coastal work is EXPENSIVE. Also there is no such thing as a perfect organization. Every organization does certain things that I do not agree with but if the overall cause is a good one the good outweighs the bad. I still support the NRA even though they pizz me off by sending all this spam mail Don't care for everything DU does but they do good trying a overall. Dand aure don't care for every Republican in this country (or even our governor for that matter) but.....
Whoopin cranes
Old 05-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Red Snapper

I see duck butters point and agree with a lot he said. I'm not saying they are a horrible organization like some on this site. I just don't know how I feel about "supporting" them anymore. I have been at cca meeting n the past where certain people's questions were ignored. To be honest, I probably would have ignored their question to. It would be a lot nicer than the answer their question deserved. I've asked W before if he thought CCA was so bad, what could I do with the money I was giving them. Is there another organization, in his opinion, where my money would be better spent. I'm still waiting on an answer. There is no perfect organization, for profit or not for profit. And I do think CCA does some positive things. That's why I don't think I mind them getting a little of my money so I could possibly benefit from the tourney.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

DU does more for coastal restoration Louisiana. Without estuaries there is no fish. Although building oyster reefs isn't badit isn't a long-term solution for stopping coastal erosion. I don't disagree with everything about CCA,but I choose not to give them my money anymore.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Ling

Quote:
I see duck butters point and agree with a lot he said. I'm not saying they are a horrible organization like some on this site. I just don't know how I feel about "supporting" them anymore. I have been at cca meeting n the past where certain people's questions were ignored. To be honest, I probably would have ignored their question to. It would be a lot nicer than the answer their question deserved. I've asked W before if he thought CCA was so bad, what could I do with the money I was giving them. Is there another organization, in his opinion, where my money would be better spent. I'm still waiting on an answer. There is no perfect organization, for profit or not for profit. And I do think CCA does some positive things. That's why I don't think I mind them getting a little of my money so I could possibly benefit from the tourney.
There was that one organization whose entire mission was to get rid of CCA. They were saying all CCA did was put on fishing tournaments. Their response was to start their own tournament called the Galaxy or something pretty unoriginal.

There are other nonprofits that all work for the betterment of coastal Louisiana but none of them can combat coastal erosion by themselves and none would want to take on the oyster industry. we as sportsmen can't even all get on the same page. Bring up he word "diversion" and some people in SELA come out the woodwork. . Some of the things that people think CCA should be doing are a bit out there. They are not perfect by any means but a perfect organization does not exist
Old 05-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Go to a meeting and ask why they won't do something you believe in You will be ignored and the subject will be changed before you get an answer. Been there done that .
What did you ask them if you don't mind sharing?
Old 05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
DU does more for coastal restoration Louisiana. Without estuaries there is no fish. Although building oyster reefs isn't badit isn't a long-term solution for stopping coastal erosion. I don't disagree with everything about CCA,but I choose not to give them my money anymore.
A LOT of people despise DU for their coastal work also. Saying that restoring private marsh is not helping anyone or anything but the landowner to kill ducks! It is comical. A duck does not know if it's on private or public land. Marsh is marsh and restoring it whether its on private or public benefits us all. Hurricanes don't discriminate

The DU reference is going to add 5 extra pages to this
Old 05-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:

Give your money to a family member that needs help, or give it to yourself.

Lotteries are taxes on dumb people and those who can't do math (one in the same) - Dave Ramsey
Old 05-16-2015, 06:53 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

CCA is scared to stop oyster dredging
CCA is scared to stop erosion
CCA has done ZERO on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years
Old 05-16-2015, 07:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

1st time was way back when the posting of the marsh started getting bad. Asked point blank was CCA going to support Fishermen or Landowners? Ignored asked again Ignored Asked the third time and the subject was changed to the Star tourney.
Second time was I had gotten wind of CCA going against the bow fishermen when it comes to shooting redfish. Went to a meeting and asked if it was true? They looked at me like i was a space alien and went right on to the next question.
After the first time i realized that the CCA Had an agenda and that it really didn't matter what the regular members said or wanted. So they lost my support. And yes when you enter the star you are supporting CCA and its agenda.
Old 05-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
1st time was way back when the posting of the marsh started getting bad. Asked point blank was CCA going to support Fishermen or Landowners? Ignored asked again Ignored Asked the third time and the subject was changed to the Star tourney.
Second time was I had gotten wind of CCA going against the bow fishermen when it comes to shooting redfish. Went to a meeting and asked if it was true? They looked at me like i was a space alien and went right on to the next question.
After the first time i realized that the CCA Had an agenda and that it really didn't matter what the regular members said or wanted. So they lost my support. And yes when you enter the star you are supporting CCA and its agenda.
What's CCA's "agenda"?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
CCA is scared to stop oyster dredging
CCA is scared to stop erosion
CCA has done ZERO on Lake Calcasieu in 100 years
"ZERO"? Come on man. They may not have done the things On your personal wish list, but would you call banning gil nets nothing? Again, what do you suggest I do in place of CCA?
Old 05-16-2015, 07:57 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
"ZERO"? Come on man. They may not have done the things On your personal wish list, but would you call banning gil nets nothing? Again, what do you suggest I do in place of CCA?
CCA did not ban gill nets

GCCA which was ran by a whole different breed of people. People who actually fish
Old 05-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Ling

Quote:
What is your stance on bowfishing? A lot of people are against it.