SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Default Death Penalty, What do you think?

I heard recently that the Boston Bomber was sentenced to death. Of course there will be appeals and years of drawn out arguments, but I was pretty surprised that a Northern Blue state would assign the death penalty.

Personally, as a Christian I do not believe a man of flesh should have the ability to make the ultimate judgment of another man. I believe that is God's responsibility and he is the only one with the ability to truly judge and sentence others for life or death. I understand that some crimes have the ability to be unfathomable, but I believe the burden of pre-meditated inflicted death should not be of any other except God.

I do believe in self/public defense and believe that it needs to be done in whatever means necessary at the moment. But once the threat is secured/removed I don't believe in executing the individual. I do also believe that the means of public/self defense is under utilized as well as over utilized in certain circumstances(I digress).

Not here to ask what you think of my belief or to tell you what I think of yours, I just am curious as to what other Americans personally believe/feel about the ability to "justifiably" execute another man that no longer has the ability to directly harm another.

I am curious to what other's perception/belief is related to the death penalty. Do you believe in the death penalty? If so, in which circumstance or at what degree? What methods of execution do you believe should be in place?

EDIT*
I guess my opinion is similar to Rules/Law of War. Remove the threat with necessary means but once the threat is secured/removed, excessive destruction is not allowed. I also believe that hard labor and harsh conditions for imprisonment are under utilized as well.

Last edited by Nickt87; 05-19-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

Not enough death penalty sentences being given. I'd rather the death penalty then paying for them to have three meals a day for the rest of there lives. Just wish the death penalty wasn't so drawn out and they use a piece of rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Wet the sponge
Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriguy View Post
Wet the sponge
Leave it dry.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Electircity is expense, a Bullet is still costly...rope is reusable...enough said...
Old 05-19-2015, 11:52 AM
Trophy Trout

They need to start an express lane

Old 05-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Redfish

Cash: 794

If I was on a jury, I would be hard pressed to sentence someone to death.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 564

I was surprised that the Northern Blue states voted on the death penalty as well. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I can see how some folks would think that life in prison would have been a better choice for his crimes. My personal thoughts are that death by lethal injection is not fair....because it's not harsh enough. I think this terrorist needs to suffer for murdering innocent people. I would not lose one wink of sleep voting to give someone like that the death penalty and I feel like he shouldn't get to appeal because it's a waste of time and money. I think in "clear cut" death cases with more than one witness or video evidence - you shouldn't be allowed an appeal. I know that will never change...
Old 05-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 708

Great question...I to am a Christian....my opinion will be more on the flesh side...

I was a Navy medic, and a nurse for 28 years. I have worked in several prisons from so called "weekenders" to super max.

Worked Death Row at 3 prisons.

I am wholeheartedly in favor of the death penalty. I do not agree with the appeals process as it is so convoluted and drawn out. If someone is sentenced to death, two appeals is all I would allow.

Harsh?? I don't know...lets ask the victims families....

I met some really messed up guys on death row. I met some even more messed up serving "life" sentences. The "lifers" usually are more apt to cause trouble for the guards that have to deal with them on a day to day basis...believe me...the guards absolutely do not get paid anywhere close to what they should ...

I only met one on Death Row that I thought was not guilty, and he told me he was. I was shocked.

So, yes, I do believe in using the Death penalty and I think is should be used more often.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Short drop sudden stop.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

I believe the victim (if living) or the victims closest living relative should be the ones to pass judgment.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Tripletail

For those that responded, finish the response.

Do you believe in the death penalty? If so, in which circumstance or at what degree? What methods of execution do you believe should be in place?

If you demand another man to death, explain the extent of crimes, or intent of crimes that you see worthy of death.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Trophy Trout

There quite a few that's are deserving of it and I know I won't be able to address them all. Pedophiles, clear cut murderers, it's really a case by case thing with some crimes that should get it automatically.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post

Do you believe in the death penalty? If so, in which circumstance or at what degree? What methods of execution do you believe should be in place?

If you demand another man to death, explain the extent of crimes, or intent of crimes that you see worthy of death.
Certainly the punishment should fit the crime.

First Degree Murder, Cold blooded murder, mass murder, terroristic murder...I also believe Child molesters should be sentenced to death....I feel there is a special place in Hell for these monsters... their victims suffer all their lives...

I have made the statement that some should be put to death in the same manner that their victims were... but of course WHO would carry out this order? Its a catch 22 for sure...

Firing squad would be my preferred method.

Rapists should be castrated. Sorry , this is just my honest opinion here.

If we would go back to swift justice in some things I think we would have alot less crime...

I hope this answers your question a little better.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post

that is hard to do............every circumstance is different..........
Rape? Rape of a child? Rape of a defenseless person?

Kill one two three?
How did they die, slow, bloody, or quick.

just too many ways to look.

as far as method.........I would support a similar death the crimes committed........
Old 05-19-2015, 02:14 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

oh, and that state does not have the death penalty.............but it was a federal crime.
so he will be held at a federal prison
Old 05-19-2015, 02:35 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
that is hard to do............every circumstance is different..........
Rape? Rape of a child? Rape of a defenseless person?

Kill one two three?
How did they die, slow, bloody, or quick.

just too many ways to look.

as far as method.........I would support a similar death the crimes committed........
I agree, there are many different scenarios for justification/lack there of. That's why I personally don't feel it should be placed upon a man's shoulders to make that judgment or decision. Especially consistently and fairly.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:40 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplepeddler View Post
oh, and that state does not have the death penalty.............but it was a federal crime.
so he will be held at a federal prison
Correct. But the Jurors were Boston based, and often the jury assists in the sentencing, especially for capital punishment.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

I believe in the Death Penalty. I do not believe there should be any such thing as Life without the chance of parole. I think that any crime that warrants this penalty deserves the death penalty instead. Either a crime gets a specific number of years with or without chance of parole or it gets the death penalty.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I never heard of anyone committing another crime after being executed but those serving life in prison live a pretty good life with everything provided for them from prostitutes to sex changes. all while we pay 6 figures a year to pamper them with all their desires short of freedom.

if they want to do life in prison instead of executions then I say it should be chain gang hard labor and sleep on the concrete floor