SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596
Default Need opinions

What kind of concealment type of setups have y'all had good luck with when It comes to pit blinds and a device to conceal the top from movement in the blind and still be able to see and no excuse for flaring birds on the concealment part.

Ex: I've seen the roller type but they are heavy and rust and get caught up in the heat of the moment and just aren't feasible to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

What is the levee? Plowed or grass?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Swordfish

To me the most effective way is grass it and break up the blind with grass laid over the blind. Between hunters and laid over top so there are no holes. Geese don't always necessarily flare from a face all the time. They get skittish of a big hole in the ground. And cloudy days are worse because there is no sunlight to cast shadows. Easier to hide with sunlight and IMO geese work better on clear days. If the levee is plowed the best thing, a lot of work, but grass the whole levee or at least 100-200 yards one each side of the Blind. A big pile of grass on a levee is a dead give away. Rule of thumb. If you can tell where your blind is a goose for sure can. You know when you pass by a field and see a big clump on a levee with decoys out. Dead giveaway. You want to look as natural as you can. Hope this helps you.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

If there is grass on the levee I wouldn't worry about a lid or any type of rolling top. They are dangerous and unnecessary and a pain.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Sailfish

We don't know yet what the farmer will do, as of right now it's grass but we are waiting to find out what he's going to do. Thanks if the grass stays I know I'm good and bundling up grass is usually what I do, but really it's for the new guys to the sport and kids that move around in a circle while ducks/geese circle. The big gapping hole is what I'm trying to cover. You get the occasional guy that thinks it doesn't matter that much and moves it out the way because it's in his way and breaks all the brush on the front so he can see. Me personally the only room I need is to get the gun out and shoot the rest is lagniappe but not everyone has hunted as long as us. I guess what I'm getting at was something to idiot proof where even if they break my brush I can still hide and break up the blind enough to kill skittish but not call shy birds the ones that work to the call but circle 5 times before coming into crumple range. Thx fellas
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 PM
Swordfish

Discipline in the blind don't hurt either lol
Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

Haha yeah a good explanation at the beginning is always good for new hunters. Just tell them they"ll get closer shots if they stay down. When i was a kid i always stood on the bench until the sun came up. Thats when most of the action was anyway being in a ricefied
Old 08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Sailfish

Hard heads and big egos some ppl just can't hold back when the adrenaline hits em
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Flounder

Cash: 725

It makes me cringe when people are in my blind and hear the CRACK of broken brush. I put it there for a reason, leave it alone!!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzon30s View Post
It makes me cringe when people are in my blind and hear the CRACK of broken brush. I put it there for a reason, leave it alone!!
I know that feeling. If I'm guiding I'll politely tell them not to do that but if it's just friends, it's more of a *** are you doing. The guys I hunt with don't do that crap though. That's why I hunt with the same handful of people, we all know how each other operate and no need for one person to explain to the others what to do
Old 08-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

i can vouch for mcnabb he will get his a$$ in his face if you start jumping around and mash his grass but most of us have figured it out after putting in the hours of grassing a blind and concealing it successfully you don't wanna have to do alot of it, and you dont want mcnabb gettin his ice pick and bicycle chain after you ive seen it first hand just for one guy asking if it will be cold the next day lol