SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 565
Default Ramah Bank Fishing Failure

I just got into fish and I fished Ramah all summer long, probably twenty times. But I never caught a fish. I got Favaro bros and they give me some advice but nothings worked so far.
I would really appreciate it if yall could give me some advice, I really wanna catch some fish next time I go out there.

I have fished on the basin side of the levee, right under the interstate and a while south of there.

I use a Johnson sabra reel and I was using 10 lb line but now Ive switched entirely to 20 lb. I can only use monofilament I think, braid was snagging.

I was going after bream at first but everyone out there catches catfish and goofish so Ive switched my attack strategy.

I always use the same slip cork setup but I got different baits. I tie a not up top big enough to catch a bead, throw on the float, then like a half oz bullet weight with bead on eachside. then at the end i square knot a clip onto it and thats what i put the hook on. Its probably 12 to 18 inches from bobber to hook in the water.

the baits ive used include crickets on size 8 and 10, beetlespins and jigheads, thats when i was going after bream

now i guess im going after cat sacalait and bass, but i got no strategy. Ive got size 1 and 2 hooks for both cat and crappie (which i figure is same stuff as sacalait). Ive put shiners on these hooks but also hooks that say shank, they are good for holding the shiner. Ive got some double triangle hook bass lures that i throw out there sometimes. Im thinking about trying out nightcrawlers

Ive put all of this on the same weighted slip cork setup.

Generall when I get a bite I give it a quick snap to the side to try and set the hook, but usually the hook pops out their mouth, or the line breaks, I think it might actually be a bad square knot on the clip.

I go really early like 6 am. But yea anything yall think I should try, I appreciate it. I dont know what to do with a fish if i catch it but if i do catch a catfish i figure i should hit it over the head before i touch it so it doesnt sting me

god bless america and lsu will roll the entire sec so hard this year, we are the only team left with a real defense.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

look up palomar knot and use that to tie all your knots. Look up carolina rig and hook a live crawfish from the tail forward. almost guaranteed goo with that set up. Also try that set up with shiners or other live fish to catch cats. fish with a cork with shiners or crickets around structure to catch bream and sacalait.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Sand Trout

When ive got the carolina rig what hook should I be using to go after goo or catfish? And hook the crawfish by the tail? There is some structure on the west bank of the waterway but ive got no boat, most people tell me youll get no bream from the bank at ramah
Old 09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I dont really fish freshwater much and never over there thats about all I know... use a J hook
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Sand Trout

well i appreciate it anyway, palomar doesnt look too difficult and i knew i needed to get a better knot on the line
Old 09-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I have no idea what area you are talking about but in just about any fresh water if you throw out a live worm a foot or two under a cork. You will catch something. Probably bream but also catfish and if you're lucky a bass. For catfish I would start with a drop shot rig or carolina rig with a 1/2 oz weight (more if there is a current) and bait it with chicken livers, worms, dough bait, or shrimp. Anything stinky and on the bottom channel cats will eat.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I would use a fairly small hook....big hooks scare off fish. Use a smaller weight, just enough to cast it out and so that the current does not move it too much.

Tie the fishing line directly to the hook. I don't think you will be catching any 5+ lb fish, so again, a smaller line would give you a better chance of catching fish. I would probably use 8 or 10 lb mono line. For just bream fishing, 6 lb. mono line is good.

Try fishing one line on the bottom and another line with a cork, to see what will work best. Watch how other fisherpersons are fishing.....maybe they know what works best. Usually you can catch catfish better in moving water best.

I second using worms for bait.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Sand Trout

well i wouldnt know how to find the bream cuz im on the bank and most people tell me u have to get in a boat to find them. so im going after the cat goo sacalait or bass and i had lots of fish break the line when i went with ten pound
Old 09-20-2013, 04:08 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Pm Eman on here I think he fishes over that way
Old 09-20-2013, 05:39 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

The fish didn't break your line it was the knot. Go back to 8/10# mono and fish worms under a float or on the bottom and you will catch. Eman is a good guy. He can help you out. Good luck.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

don't waste your time. ramah never got good from the bank this year.
The areas that i usually fish stayed choked off by hyacinth all year.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Is there anywhere to bank fish on the MS River in Baton Rouge? Always had good success with big catfish on the river but never fished it around Baton Rouge. If you can, just do like they say and chunk a Carolina rig out there with a nightcrawler, dead shrimp, or shad and you should do well. We fished below wing dykes (rock dams) on the river usually. If you can find a place like that you should do well. Wear a lifejacket
Old 09-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Sand Trout

yea i am going to practice the palomar knot at home over the weekend cuz i cant go out.
ima give ramah a few more tries before i give up on it though.
there is a spot on the mississippi way down river road across from a short silo by the cows, over the levee ive seen some people cast into the river and pools. i went with my buddy from detroit and he said something like wading out into and trying to get to the otherside i said you dam yankee you wuld drown and die and he did not believe me

for now though im sticking with this 20 pound line cant do my own line and i dont feel like driving out to favoros
Old 09-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,034

Square knot will cut the line. Got to tie some kind of fishermans knot! I cant help with places to fish from the bank, but Maybe try bayou amy near henderson or that side of the basin.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

Try False River in new roads
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
Sand Trout

false river? how is there fish in there i heard that thing is algae bloomed so bad they gotta drain it every winter for the next few years. u go there and find fish?
Old 10-05-2013, 06:49 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoo View Post
false river? how is there fish in there i heard that thing is algae bloomed so bad they gotta drain it every winter for the next few years. u go there and find fish?
Where did you get this info???
Old 10-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Sand Trout

word of mouth. I go there a good bit and never see anyone fish tbh. and ive def heard from people that the lake is really damaged from all the activity and all the stuff that drains into it