SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion

Freshwater Fishing Discussion For discussion of everything freshwater!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Freshwater options near Baton Rouge in Late July

We've been burning lots of gas getting to our preferred salt water spots since April and may have missed the best time of year for freshwater fishing close to Baton Rouge. We're not too proud to chase catfish and gar if that's the best that's available this time of year. We've heard mixed reports about false river and may be too late to catch the peak catfishing in the river. So what are our best options for some quality pole bending close to BR this time of year?

I'm pretty sure I can get the kids on some catfish in Des Allemandes or Lake Verret, but are there options that burn less gas from the greater BR area?
Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 642

The false river catfish bite has kind of petered out, that's not to say you still can't go and catch enough to stink up some grease. Looking at the extended mississippi river forecast old river will be getting right around 7-28... It's a great place to bring the kids bream fishing. I made a trip to little Alabama (in sherburne WMA) Friday afternoon and kept 3 bass and 4 avg sized goggleye. Caught the goggleye and bass on a shaky head with plum worm. I imagine if you go there and try some live worms you might do some good... Also plenty of gar and choupique too.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Try the Intercostal water ways... I hear they are stacked with Sacs????
Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Fish under i10 at ramah or whiskey bay.....troll around the bridge pilings with black/char curtails 1/16 oz jighead 5-8 foot under a 2" cork. Big sacalait and nowhere near the crowds like henderson. Not the most peaceful place to fish with the noise of the traffic,but fresh fillets make up for it. I have done very well here in the summer. The hotter it gets the thicker they school around the pilings. Keep your trolling motor on low and cover water,slow down when you catch a few.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 642

More than likely in the basin bite is fixing to slow/stop due to the river coming back up... At least on the east side, I really don't know the west side that well. Another place to keep an eye on is bayou sorrel and the upper grand river flats. Those get good around 4-5' on the bayou sorrel gauge... Usually awesome bass and sac fishing in the flats and sorrel is only about 10-15 min south of plaquemine. Regardless, end of July looks like its gonna be good.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I think catfishing in the MS River would be right up our alley Live shad or bream for flatheads, dead shrimp, shad, skipjack for blues. Never fished MS River around Baton Rouge, but if you can find a wing dyke get behind it and tightline.

Have done very well by wing dykes/rocks in NE LA doing this and the opportunity to catch a giant fish