SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 02-03-2015, 07:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607
Question Best way to value a boat for sale?

What is the best way to determine a fair value for a boat?

Will be selling a Mako 19' Deep V 1996 hull with a 2001 150hp 2 - stroke Yamaha outboard. Motor serviced annually by Montauk's father who is a professional Yamaha mechanic. Compression good on all cylinders. Every time any mechanic works on this motor they comment how clean this motor is.

Motor has NEVER left us on the water. I trust it enough to take this boat 40 miles offshore without a buddy boat. See my old fishing reports.

Tandem axle Aluminum trailer in decent shape. Bearings changed last year but needs 2 new tires pretty soon.

Boat has an aluminium T-top where stereo and VHF radio are mounted.

I have no idea how to come up with a fair asking price. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

well you could check what they say about the book value http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats but I view that as just a rough guideline only, since condition is everything with a boat and motor
Old 02-03-2015, 09:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Yep use NADA but its not necessarily accurate. The market dictates prices first and then NADA counts second. I had a boat that NADA valued at about $3500 and was able to sell it for $5500 based on other boats like it that had sold recently.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 776

I would get on The Hull Truth boats for sale section and see what guys are asking for that and similar boats. Most guys that sell boats are using that site these days. It should give you a pretty accurate idea.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

do a search on boat trader too and look for similar boats
Old 02-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

It is nearly impossible to get your boat's true value from a book. The price is whatever someone will pay for it. I am taking 23 year old motors that originally sold for $2400, refurbishing them and selling them for $5000. Book value is $65.00. Throw the book numbers out the window. Shop around the area and see what other similar boats are selling for. Call Lake Area and ask Kyle how much he would charge you to appraise the rig, he knows what they should sell for, he certainly knows how much he would give you on trade. An appraisal from someone local would be more realistic than any book.
I do that with 0-60hp outboards. I use a point system to appraise outboards. I have guys from all over the country call and pay me to appraise motors. They take my appraisal and decide if they want the unit. Most pay me to set the unit on a pallet, take it to Saia Trucking and ship it to them. I can promise you, not a single outboard I have appraised had a book value that matched the buyers price. In my experience, the actual price is ALWAYS more than the book value. The book doesn't take into the account the demand in any given area. Arkansas folks pay more for 25hp motors than anyone in the US. Locally, we pay more for 40hp motors than anyone in the US, supply and demand.
D