SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192
Default Dog pain killers

Although my lab is only 7 1/2 years old, she gets VERY sore after making a hunt. Pretty much after a hunt she gets stove up and cant get around well until the next day. If its real bad I hunt her one day a weekend. If she seems fine I hunt her both days. Well after yesterday's hunt she seems to really be hurtin. She seemed fine once we got home but that afternoon I went in the backyard and she could barely get up from laying down. Takes her a sec to get up on her back legs.

Took her to the vet last season for soreness after a hunt(when I first realized it) and the vet said she was just sore and gave me some doggy pain pills to give her after a hunt. Well I ran out and went to get more and they said I had to bring her back in because it has been over a year and I couldnt just get more.

Question is, does anyone know what type and amount of regular pain killers I can give her to hold her over? Bayer, advil, tylenol? She seems to be hurting alot. Do yall think she may be getting that degenerative hip syndrome that labs are notorius for?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

man, i hate to hear that, she is a gorgeous dog and well mannered. Hate seeing a good dog in pain. That rice field aint no joke. Bet that goose that ran 120 yards didnt help any either.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,044

Probably a joint supplement would be best. That way you are not cover up the pain, the would help live the joints. The will probably prescribe something with glucosamine in it. Although, you can probably get it online a lot cheaper. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Redfish

Cash: 977

My vet told me to try buffered aspirin when I had buster. We found it at Petco.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Ecotrin, it's a buffered aspirin and should be safe for dogs. She has bad wheels (hip displaxia) and vet should have shot x-rays to diagnose properly. Google; toe step kennel and order the joint supplement bill sells. Probably best to retire her because it ain't gonna ever get better. Bad hips are usually genetic, this why clean dogs cost more (testing).
Old 01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Lady I know had a 8 yr old black lab that she had to retire from hunting because she thought it had arthritis. It would just hobble around. The vet told her to try changing his food to just regular Purina Dog Chow, and that sucker is a new dog now
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Don't ever give a dog Tylenol or Advil - buffered aspirin only!

Also, what food is she on? I ask, becasue certain foods are cooked down so much, some things they need daily are no longer in the dry foods. Thus, supplements are needed. I use only Diamond Premium adult food for my dogs and the extra cost is worth every penny. Paying $32 for 50lbs.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Don't ever give a dog Tylenol or Advil - buffered aspirin only!

Also, what food is she on? I ask, becasue certain foods are cooked down so much, some things they need daily are no longer in the dry foods. Thus, supplements are needed. I use only Diamond Premium adult food for my dogs and the extra cost is worth every penny. Paying $32 for 50lbs.
I use Iams Large Breed. Thats not a bad price for 50lb
Old 01-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Ecotrin, it's a buffered aspirin and should be safe for dogs. She has bad wheels (hip displaxia) and vet should have shot x-rays to diagnose properly. Google; toe step kennel and order the joint supplement bill sells. Probably best to retire her because it ain't gonna ever get better. Bad hips are usually genetic, this why clean dogs cost more (testing).
Sending wife to pick some buffered aspirin up now. Outside of after a hunt, she is still very active and is fine otherwise. She has about a mile run to the blind, chasing birds around in flooded water buffaloed field, then a mile back to truck. Perhaps I will have to to start giving her rides on the 4 wheeler to help there and back.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

We just recently moved and my dog has always slept in a kennel. Well the first couple of nights the dog cried all night in the kennel so my wife brought him to the vet and they said it was suffering from anxiety from the move! So they prescribed him Valium. We gave him that for 3 nights before bed and now he is back on track. When she told me that I was like what the hell! They trying to turn my dog into an addict! Anyway hope your lab gets better.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:22 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,480

Be careful w aspirin. 3 days at therapeutic dose can gastric erosions. There is a reason for the newer meds. Mobic is now available generic and is a much cheaper option just limited weight range. Again, careful w aspirin
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
Sending wife to pick some buffered aspirin up now. Outside of after a hunt, she is still very active and is fine otherwise. She has about a mile run to the blind, chasing birds around in flooded water buffaloed field, then a mile back to truck. Perhaps I will have to to start giving her rides on the 4 wheeler to help there and back.
You would have bad hips too if I made you start the morning with a 1 mile run. Try the joint supplements and feed her some good food, Purina Pro Plan Preformance $48.00/37.5# at Petco. It has supplements for joints in it and it's made for dogs that are active. Probably will not have to feed as much so don't let the price scare ya. Expect to feed one bag per month, how long does that 50# last and is she overweight now?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Diet, I put mine on raw food diet and he stopped itching and acted like he got a new carburetor... Never stiff even after swimming all day, or running 6-7 miles.

I made my own food with 5lb 80:20 ground beef, a cup or two of olive oil, a can of steens, a can of whole oats, a half box of corn flakes, and a couple gelatin packs to help keep it all together. You can add other supplements for joints too. Hand mix all that and put it in sandwich bags and throw it in the fridge. One pack a day, either all at once or half twice a day.

His snacks were raw turkey necks, giblets, and whatever else was cheap in that section of the meat department. This supplemented minerals that he wouldn't get from the main diet - talk about a happy dog.

And no, it didn't make him want to eat my birds.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You would have bad hips too if I made you start the morning with a 1 mile run. Try the joint supplements and feed her some good food, Purina Pro Plan Preformance $48.00/37.5# at Petco. It has supplements for joints in it and it's made for dogs that are active. Probably will not have to feed as much so don't let the price scare ya. Expect to feed one bag per month, how long does that 50# last and is she overweight now?
I buy the 17# bags of Iams last a couple weeks I guess. She is a pretty stout dog, maybe a little chubby but she has always been wide shouldered since a pup.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Chuck Duck View Post
I buy the 17# bags of Iams last a couple weeks I guess. She is a pretty stout dog, maybe a little chubby but she has always been wide shouldered since a pup.
Get as much weight off of her as possible and she will be more comfortable.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,086

My big lab had some issues when she was 90 lbs; I changed her food and she lost 10 lbs pretty fast. She has stayed at 80 lbs for 5 months and she runs and jumps with no issues.
Those 10 lbs were really hurting her.

I get 50$ bag of food from the local feed & seed ; 18$. Love that price.
I brought the ingredients to the vet and he said it was quality food.
So I'm sticking with it.
Both my labs weight has leveled off and it's easier to regulate Them now.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

I feed Pro plan 30/20 performance which has glucosamine but not in therapeutic levels. Tractor supply has it for about $45 a bag. There's a food called Star Pro that is verbatim in ingredients to pro plan but about $20 cheaper. My dog didn't do well on it but a lot of other people switched to it and love it now. If you wanna get a full therapeutic dose of glucosamine you will have to use supplements to get it.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,733

Bring her in and get the (rymadil) pain meds. It works like a dream. As some people have mentioned some ibuprofins can be deadly(causes internal bleeding). So be careful. What area do you live?
Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,087

She can ride on my 4 wheeler anytime......
Old 01-07-2013, 01:45 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyb View Post
Bring her in and get the (rymadil) pain meds. It works like a dream. As some people have mentioned some ibuprofins can be deadly(causes internal bleeding). So be careful. What area do you live?
Lake Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChaf View Post
She can ride on our 4 wheeler anytime......
Fixed it