SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 575
Default Tohatsu 40TLDI

Anyone have or had a 40 TLDI? How is the performance? Can it be hopped to a 50? Are there any year models beter than others to look for? Might be replacing my 25-3cyl Yammie. Thought about looking for a used 2 cycle, not sure if i want to go to 4 cycle yet. Thanks for any info help.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Just what the Dr ordered in the classified section.
Boats, Outboard Motors, Kayaks, Etc: FOR SALE: 2011 Tohatsu 40TLDI - SaltyCajun.com

Great motors! Close to bullet proof! Been running one for a couple of years now. I'm sure this one has already had the restrictor plate removed so it will be very close to a 50 already.

Give Kyle a call
Old 02-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Wink

Wow that was quick, one was just posted in the classifieds!!!!!!!!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,486

Yep, Here's the one that just posted a few minutes ago.
Boats, Outboard Motors, Kayaks, Etc: FOR SALE: 05' 40 Hp Tohatsu - SaltyCajun.com

Thanks for the heads up H2OFwlKlr
Old 02-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 659
Default 06 TLDI

I got a 2006 40tldi on a 1652 alweld 13 pitch prop no jackplate or trim tabs and i do 33mph. Love that motor great on gas and still have 2 stroke power for the most part. The only horsepower upgrade you can do from what ive been told its pop out the restricter plate in the air intake. I did and only gained about 1-1.5 mph.
Old 02-17-2015, 12:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Bayou, that's about right. We figure 5hp=1mph gain on must fishing and hunting rigs.

Cajun: Have you considered a tohatsu 40/50 hp 4 stroke. This is a test run last week. 1548 Ambush, 40/50 Tohatsu 4 stroke, 18 pitch Turbo Hot Shot prop, 50.4 mph. Has a great hole shot. I can find nothing to dislike about this engine. I have run one since last fall, love it. Quiet, sips fuel, great holeshot, great top end, not your typical 4 stroke. FIVE (%) year warranty on these engines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrqz...ature=youtu.be
Danny
Old 02-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Sand Trout

"40/50 Tohatsu 4 stroke, 18 pitch Turbo Hot Shot prop, 50.4 mph.".....is this speed on a stock motor??? My 25 Yamaha is on a 1550 marshrunner and runs about 32+/- with me and my gear in it. Course it hasn't been in the water since Rita due to other issues, currently reworking my boat and trying to get it back to fishing. Debating about keeping my 25 to run the burns or going up to a 40 since that is what the boat is rated for. Loved the way it ran before, just seemed to need a liitle more oooommph for the glass boat.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunyoung View Post
"40/50 Tohatsu 4 stroke, 18 pitch Turbo Hot Shot prop, 50.4 mph.".....is this speed on a stock motor??? My 25 Yamaha is on a 1550 marshrunner and runs about 32+/- with me and my gear in it. Course it hasn't been in the water since Rita due to other issues, currently reworking my boat and trying to get it back to fishing. Debating about keeping my 25 to run the burns or going up to a 40 since that is what the boat is rated for. Loved the way it ran before, just seemed to need a liitle more oooommph for the glass boat.
This is exactly like you pick the motor up from Lake Area Marine. An 18 pitch would not be my choice for the marsh, but we were trying to prove a point, and we did. I have run this engine since last fall, love it. It is the strongest running "40" badged new motor on the market. The motor is a 40 until a restrictor is pulled, it then becomes a 50. Sweet motors. We actually ran a bit faster than that with a 25 pitch cleaver. The motor had no trouble getting the boat on plane, spun the 25 just fine. They are strong engines.
I tested that unit last fall, it performed flawlessly, 25# water pressure, idiot proof, the ecu shuts the engine down when overheated.
D
Old 02-17-2015, 04:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Here's the run with the 25 pitch 4 blade cleaver. Motor had no problem turning it. Boat ran high and dry. We never let off the throttle or touched the trim to go around the curves in the river, great handling boat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opgF...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-17-2015, 06:07 PM
Sand Trout

Did ya'll forget to turn the recording mic on??? Dang that thing is quiet!!!! Now you done gone throw another monkey-in-the-wrench!!! This is really going to make it hard to keep my 25, just might have to check on costing.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:22 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
Here's the run with the 25 pitch 4 blade cleaver. Motor had no problem turning it. Boat ran high and dry. We never let off the throttle or touched the trim to go around the curves in the river, great handling boat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opgF...ature=youtu.be
For some reason I can't see your video's on you tube... Are you running an empty boat or 2 people with ice chest and all gear to fish for a day ????? From what your post say the bass masters ought to be running tahatsu's ...There is a big difference between running an empty hull for a race and a hull for a fishing situation....How many rpms are you turning compared to what the manufacturer says should be turning????

Last edited by lil bubba; 02-17-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil bubba View Post
For some reason I can't see your video's on you tube... Are you running an empty boat or 2 people with ice chest and all gear to fish for a day ????? From what your post say the bass masters ought to be running tahatsu's ...There is a big difference between running an empty hull for a race and a hull for a fishing situation....How many rpms are you turning compared to what the manufacturer says should be turning????
The manufacturer sets the rev limiter at 6150. I don't recall mentioning Bass Masters???? There are very few people that run CLEAVERS for joyrides. They are pretty much built for speed, ONLY! We have tested a few different hulls, very few will run mid 40's empty. These are fishing hulls built for performance. I'll let you know how it runs after mine is set up. I run 2 large deep cycle batteries, 82# thrust motorguide, 120 qt. cooler, fishing junk enough for a week. I'll get i5t rigged, run, and let you know how it runs loaded.
We were testing the boat more than the motor. We are running an empty 100 gauge, 405 pound boat with a full size battery, 6 gallon fuel tank, 200 pound driver. I appreciate your insight on the differences between a race boat and a fishing boat. BUT, I fully understand the difference in a race setup and a fishing rig, I raced professionally for almost 10 years, didn't use a trolling motor very much on that boat There are still very few aluminum fishing hulls that will run over 50mph empty.
You see, this is a fishing boat:

And this is a race boat:

Please don't take my ramblings seriously, they were not meant seriously.

Last edited by CajunChristian; 02-17-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:55 PM
Red Snapper

Never said you claimed bassmasters ought ton run tohatsu's....The way you put it on your post one would think they should...More than once here you boasted on these motors for their speed they put out but thats not a real life fishing boat...I am by no means knocking the performance of the motor but in a real life fishing situation you are not going to get 50 mph. out of a 40 hp. motor...If you do then how long is it going to last ??? A rev limiter is different than an operating rpm...I have a 70 yam. that tops out at 6100 but I'm sure it won't last to long running that rpm...Golf carts have rev. limiters on them...Again I am not knocking the motor but the way you put it everyday people can put this motor on their boat and expect to run 50 mph. and it aint so...
Old 02-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Flounder

Cash: 579

Lil bubba if you ever get a chance to run this motor do it. Its a beast! I have one and love it I run a 1652 alweld marsh special with the 40 4 stroke. I ran with all my fishing stuff,ice chest batteries every thing for a day on the water and hit 39 @ 5860 r.p.m. Went the next day with me and my son ran 37 mph. Its fun watch CajunChristian work his magic on the videos that he posts.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Like I said, we were testing the hull more than the motor. And yes, I have tested quite a few hulls and outboards of different manufacture, so I know a high performance hull when I drive one, empty or loaded. If folks can't look at that video and see no trolling motor, no rods, no partner, NOTHING normally carried fishing, then I surely can't help them. The motor was tested last year.
You asked if we turn the motors above recommendation, how long will it last. I can answer that question from EXPERIENCE. My race engines were STOCK 50hp tohatsu 2 stroke engines. Manufacturer called for 5400-5600 rpm. I raced that class for 5 years with the same 4 STOCK blocks. Turned them 7200-7400 rpm every race, never broke a single part on the motors. Longevity, our longest race was a marathon, 40 laps of a 4.1 mile course. So for 164 miles, that stock block turned 7400 rpm on less than 2 pounds of water pressure, no failures, EXPERIENCE! My last outboard was a Mercury prototype. A 4 cylinder, 61 ci, 4 stroke, 40hp unit with a 60hp ecu in it. The engine burned a valve after a tad over 2400 hours. That ecu was read, over 2400 hours, 97% of the time at 100% throttle, hit the 6250rpm rev limiter over 460 times, shut down on overheat over 360 times, then burned a valve, that took almost 10 YEARS.. EXPERIENCE!
I never insinuated that anyone could load a boat down and run 50 mph. I will insinuate that very few aluminum hulls will run even close to 50mph, EMPTY, with the exact same engine. We test hulls empty FIRST, to see if they are even worthy of the label "high performance", the majority are not. If the boat runs 50mph empty, it will run in the 40's loaded, very few others will do that. I simply try to disseminate the information we gather, take it as you will. Most folks will have enough common sense and vision to see and know that we are testing empty boats, evidently some will not.
If you are afraid to turn your engine over the manufacturer's recommendation, great. I give results on tests I have performed, not read about, not told about, not suggested by the manufacturer, I performed the test, that is called EXPERIENCE! So I can give you "real world" experience. You talk as though you have never exceeded the manufacturer's recommendation, then how do you know how long the unit will last under extreme pressure. You see, you are speaking from conjecture, I am speaking from experience. I am not trying to disrespect or argue with you, I am stating the facts. I have tested outboards under extreme operating conditions since the late 80's, EXPERIENCE!
Old 02-17-2015, 09:19 PM
Red Snapper

You talk as though you have never exceeded the manufacturer's recommendation, then how do you know how long the unit will last under extreme pressure. You see, you are speaking from conjecture, I am speaking from experience. I am not trying to disrespect or argue with you, I am stating the facts. I have tested outboards under extreme operating conditions since the late 80's, EXPERIENCE!

You are correct , I have not exceeded manufacture's recommendations . My "EXPERIENCE" with diesel , hydraulics , and gas since the early 70's would have gotten me fire'd to do so....I do have "EXPERIENCE" with others who thought they knew better than the manufacturer... I was simply stating there is a difference between running a motor on a performance hull and running it on a regular boat . The way you put it in some of your post one can get the same from either and it ain't so...
Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Trophy Trout

You are absolutely correct in whatever you say
Have a wonderful day.
Danny
Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 AM
Trophy Trout

Come by the boat show, I'll buy you a coke
D
Old 02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Sand Trout

CajunChristian...if you are familiar with the 1550 Marshrunner that Clay used to build in mid-90s, what do you think I could expect speed-wise from the new 4 stroke Tohatsu 40 with it rigged for fishing and 2 batteries?
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

You will probably see upper 30s Cajunyoung... maybe 40.... is it the squared off tunnel?