SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Flounder

Cash: 759
Default Offshore Venice LA

Ran some more trips this week. The weather wasnt as good as advertised but it generally isnt. Stayed in the shallow water to hunt big yf and we found a few along with tons of jumbo blackfins. On wednesday I had a group of 4 priests on the boat so hopefully we would have some good luck. It wasnt good to start as the blackfin were even playing hard to get. After the first drift I only had 7 blackfin and I couldnt get them to come up again so off to aj land we went. Had a few sharks issues but pretty quickly got our limit of ajs. Went back north to look for tuna and it was still slow for a little while but around 130 we added another blackfin to the box. On our next drift both lines take off and one comes in and its a shark. We didnt see either fish bite as the visibility was only a foot or two in the brown water. The other fish I thought was a shark at first but then it settled in and I started thinking tuna or at least hoping tuna. We had to get the beast to within a couple of feet of the surface to finally identify it after about 30-40 minutes and then we quickly stuck the gaff in a hog. It ended up weighing 189 at the dock and was my third fish over 180 in the last two weeks.

Capt Mike Pittman also ran a trip for capt hoop that day as hoopers boat had some fuel issues. They started out with a bang as they put a 180 in the box on their first drift. They only had a husband and a wife and the husband was beat and the wife wanted nothing to do with one like that so they went off wahoo fishing after that and manage to put one in the boat.

On thursday I had Neil Smith and his crew in from ms. Big yf were the target and it was not meant to be today. I went a little farther off to the west then normal and found nothing much. Came back to the east and got on a blackfin bite to end the day with 13 blackfin.

Friday the sharks were out of control and it made getting to the yf very difficult. We did hook two but broke both of them off. I saw quite a few yf but never could get baits to them as the sharks were the worst I have ever seen. Plenty of blackfin were boxed though and we headed home with a box of tuna nonetheless.

Saturday the sharks were just as bad but I was able to get through to a few more yf and boxed a 132 and a 110. The amberjack bite was solid on live bait but they didnt really want jigs much this week. LIve bait was definitly the way to go for ajs all week.

We found this sunken boat our of south pass it had obviously been out there a while but only thing on it was bait. Trolled around it with no luck.
Capt Mike got these giant asian prawns from a shrimper offshore. They were about 10 inches long I would guess.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Awesome pics. Crazy that boat, was it foam filled or something, I don't see how it's floating that high?