SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 08-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Venice offshore 8-25

Had a tough day at the office today. Must have used all my luck last week.

Had a trip with Dave Nethery, his wife and his son and daughter from Ft. Worth, Tx. He had been before several years ago but had no idea what he was asking for. We got out early and made bait. The bait was slow so with a few and watching the tuna jumping we decided to go with what we had. It was not long before we had one on and his son was up first. 3 of the 4 people aboard were too slim for the fighting belts I have. The harness had to be used to assist the belt.

My deckhand Brian had to hold the belt in place durring the fight.

This was a 50/60 class fish. Mom had to finish off this one.

From there on the morning went to crap. The seas started building and mom got sick first. It was not long before the son got kind of green. The storm is near and it is already stirring things up. We are away from the fleet and we hook up again. After a good battle we loose this one. An examination of the line revealed a chafe mark. Must have had this one hooked deep and the teeth rubbed thru. We are still away from the fleet and they come up right behind us and hit both live lines out. One bait stollen and the other threw the hook after a good run and a short battle. I am now 1 for 4. I am telling myself how bad I suck.

We mark some about 140 - 180 feet down. I drop a williamson pink jig down and get one on. Dad's turn for some action. The pictures tell the story.

Early in the fight

Getting tired, high sticking and right hand not on the reel handle.

The fish came to the boat and as I went to gaff the fish it decided to make another deep run. With 2 sick and dad's legs weak he had to rest as the fish was diving. There was only my deckhand and I to take over. This one was a little bigger about 80 pounds. We gain most of the line back and have it circling about 60 feet down.

The picture says it all. Assist hook straightened. Now 1 for 5

It is now about 10:15 and mom says enough is enough. She has nothing left to chum for us and son is on her side. After getting drained by the last battle dad is almost ready to take over chumming duty. I was going to try for some amberjack on the way in but the crew just wanted to get to calm waters. On the way in I ran across some tuna in open water. I stopped and put out live bait. First one in goes out about 40 feet and tuna on. It is running hard and deep. suddenly we loose it. Spit the bait.As we are pulling it in with the now dead bait on a shark takes it. This is only our second shark for the day and once we get it to the boat I pull out the knife and give it the hook. 1 for 6 [IMG]http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/default/***.gif[/IMG]

I felt so sorry for them that I set up my 2 sabiki rig rods for inshore fishing and ducked into a cove looking for anything. Found some gafftop or sail cats to top off the day. Mom was better but not good enough. Was back at the dock about noon at the customer's request. Plenty of action but Only had this to show for the efforts.

One bright spot. At least I did not have to do this.

Customer was very happy with the amount of action we had in such a short time. One nice tuna to add to the 72 trout and 5 redfish they got yesterday is insurance they will be back. Fort Worth,Texas be prepared for some story telling.

Life is Good!

Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 08-25-2012, 08:51 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

nice capt.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Great pics capt!!
Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 619