SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 11-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Albie Damned fishing in Venice.

Had 4 guys today for a tuna trip. I was deckhanding for One Eye Ed. I asked where the guys were from and one said Connecticut. It instantly became a small world as I am from there. His name is dave and he keeps his boat at boats inc. in Niantic. My sister has her 47ft Egg Harbor in the same harbor and my son in law runs a marina next to where he keeps his boat. His boats name is Albie Damned Thus the title.

Our day started out very slow. First 2 boats we found han absolutly nothing. We ran about another 15 miles and found another group of shrimpers. Another 2 boats without anything. Our third boat had some albies on them. Actually a lot of albies and sharks but no blackfin or yellowfin. One of our lines goes running and we feel we finaly have a blackfin at least. I am up to my armpits in chum and One eye is busy rigging lines that the sharks messed up. I told Dave to gaff it as soon as one of the guys yelled Wahoo. He nailed it on the first shot and we had a 50-60 pounder in the boat. Great way to get the day started.

Dave is still fighting sharks and more albies than he had bargened for. He did compare the sharks and albies to the ones up north. Our sharks fight a lot harder and we have our albies trained to sit under the boat several hundreds at a time and eat everything we throw in the water at lightning speed before it can sink less than a foot. Our day was not doing well. Mike pittman was having a worse day. He had nothing to show for his efforts and soon left the area. He gave up on tuna and made a run for something else. Somewhere in the hunt we made a mistake and found a blackfin.

We spent a long time fighting sharks and albies from shrimp boat to shrimp baot. Around 2 in the afternoon I started thinking amberjack and maybe cobia. We came upon one that was pulling it's nets. This boat had bonito and sharks earlier in the day. Seems the nets brought up some blackfin. I set up a chum field and held the fish up. We started catching blackfin while poor Dave did his part keeping the albies and sharks very busy. Ed kept busy rigging lines and unhooking the fish. We were finaly putting some in the box even though they were only blackfin. This late action kept us out there when everybody else had left. We had one big yellowfin on and it broke off. I thought I saw one or two more late in the day. The sharks were very thick and attacking everything that moved. Here is a picture of one yellowfin my buddy was able to land.

Overall we had a fairly good day with 1 wahoo, 1 small yellow, and 11 blackfin. It was a slow start with a hot finish type of day.

Life is Good!
Fishing is not a matter of life or death. It's more important than that.

CAPT HOOP -- OUR FREEDOM
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 959

Dang shark took a good 5 pounds of Tuna! And of course he had to hit the YF...
Old 11-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Redfish

Cash: 781

What type of sharks are you seeing out there?