SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059
Default NOAA Fisheries Seeks Public Comment

NOAA Fisheries Seeks Public Comment on a Proposed Rule to Increase Red Snapper Quotas and Potentially Re-open the 2013 Recreational Fishing Season
Comment period ends August 29, 2013

Here is the link.

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/fishery_bu...ncrease_pr.pdf
Old 08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Tripletail

Public hearing in Baton Rouge tonight!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Wow! 6 total posts on two subjects on red snapper a fish that people actually target

10+ pages on tripletail

Did anyone attend?
Old 08-16-2013, 07:24 PM
Tripletail

I couldn't make it. I was hoping to spark some interest but it doesn't look like it did any good.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

I went. Never been to one before so figured I would check it out. I always thought they were bigger but only had about 15 people and they all seemed to know each other.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt coonassty View Post
I went. Never been to one before so figured I would check it out. I always thought they were bigger but only had about 15 people and they all seemed to know each other.
I think I saw it on that Don Dubuc tv show last night, not many folks there for sure
Old 08-17-2013, 08:00 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Wow! 6 total posts on two subjects on red snapper a fish that people actually target

10+ pages on tripletail

Did anyone attend?
I think the different levels of interest reveal SC member assessments of the likelihood of citizen input actually having any impact at the state level vs. the federal level. State managers seem more likely to respond to local input than federal managers who have consistently disregarded both scientific management principles and input from the recreational fishing community.

Why waste time going to the meetings with the Feds? To me, it seems like they are way beyond any reasonable exercise of power in the red snapper fishery, and citizen efforts would be better spent returning power to managers who will manage with sound scientific principles in due consideration of the expressed needs and desires of local anglers. For Louisiana, this would appear to be a complete return of red snapper managment to the state level in the Gulf of Mexico.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 AM
Flounder

Cash: 1,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I think the different levels of interest reveal SC member assessments of the likelihood of citizen input actually having any impact at the state level vs. the federal level. State managers seem more likely to respond to local input than federal managers who have consistently disregarded both scientific management principles and input from the recreational fishing community.

Why waste time going to the meetings with the Feds? To me, it seems like they are way beyond any reasonable exercise of power in the red snapper fishery, and citizen efforts would be better spent returning power to managers who will manage with sound scientific principles in due consideration of the expressed needs and desires of local anglers. For Louisiana, this would appear to be a complete return of red snapper managment to the state level in the Gulf of Mexico.

^^ I agree! I dont know who is doing the assessments but they arent doing a very good job of scouting the Louisiana coast and our abundance of oil and gas platforms that hold solid numbers of fish each year.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Ling

Quote:

Nothing is a waste of time if your voice is heard. The voices are exactly what got Louisiana to go non-compliant with federal snapper regs This may also be why Louisiana is trying to get ahead of the tripletail regs - to keep from having another red snapper fiasco. In other words the state is telling the feds 'we got this'
Old 08-17-2013, 09:05 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Nothing is a waste of time if your voice is heard. The voices are exactly what got Louisiana to go non-compliant with federal snapper regs This may also be why Louisiana is trying to get ahead of the tripletail regs - to keep from having another red snapper fiasco. In other words the state is telling the feds 'we got this'
"We got this."

"We are sufficiently restricting liberty with our own inane and stupid laws."

"You guys are free to focus your environmental wackiness in other areas!"

Stupid state laws will not reduce stupid federal intrusions, they will only embolden them.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Ling

Quote:
"We got this."

"We are sufficiently restricting liberty with our own inane and stupid laws."

"You guys are free to focus your environmental wackiness in other areas!"

Stupid state laws will not reduce stupid federal intrusions, they will only embolden them.

Whats with the 'restricting liberty' stuff you always post

We have all kinds of liberty in Louisiana. I can't honestly think of one time that my liberty was compromised, can you?

You have the liberty to go to these meetings and voice your opinions (no one ever does though, because its much easier to gripe on a forum about it).

A note about the public - (you can see it in the other snapper survey thread), is that people in Louisiana refuse to participate in public opinion surveys or gatherings. Mail out surveys get less than 10% response rate every single time when it involves wildlife or fisheries, whether its ducks, fish, or even turtles. There was a girl looking to get insight on alligator snapping turtles from commercial fishermen just to see if they encounter them at all. She got FIVE % response rate. Of those responses, many of them were just to say that they didn't want any more gov't intrusion When call surveys are conducted, people will not tell the truth because they fear the gov't will restrict liberties but there isn't one example where this has happened and lying just hurts the data and the process.
Duck hunter surveys get less than 10% response rate as well and it ends up being a complete waste of time and resources. These surveys and meetings are there to sample hunters/fishermen and get the best input from the people.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:43 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Whats with the 'restricting liberty' stuff you always post

We have all kinds of liberty in Louisiana. I can't honestly think of one time that my liberty was compromised, can you?
Let me get this straight. You want to de-criminalize possession of cannabis, and criminalize possession of a 17 inch tripletail?

I do love Louisiana, because their restrictions on my liberties pale in comparison with other states. I'm kinda hoping to keep it that way.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Ling

Quote:
Let me get this straight. You want to de-criminalize possession of cannabis, and criminalize possession of a 17 inch tripletail?

I do love Louisiana, because their restrictions on my liberties pale in comparison with other states. I'm kinda hoping to keep it that way.
Never said anything about me wanting to legalize weed. I said it wouldn't affect me in the least, but it ain't going to happen in Louisiana any time soon, not even sure why there is a thread on it

Criminalize is a harsh word for the tripletail regs stated. By that I guess I am also for criminalizing possession of 26 trout, or an 11.75 inch trout if thats the case. There isn't a law out on tripletail yet, right now anyone with a license can go and catch as many as they please, and as small or large as they want. Nothing has changed on the tripletail regs yet