SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Any UL or McNeese Grads Here

My daughter will be heading off to college this Fall. She seems to think LSU is the place for her. I have no problem with that except that it appears more expensive than other schools (she has saved nothing and has not worked and expects me to pay for it all). Anyway, maybe some of you have that have attended UL or McNeese can chime in and let me know how you enjoyed your college years. How is the campus life at both universities - I am sure that is what she is worried about most. She is a straight A student, but I don't think she has her priorities straight and I am sure campus life is most important to her.

Anybody have any idea where I can get good info on scholarships and such. I always here there is lots of money to be had out there, but I don't really know where to start.

Thanks
Old 09-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

Graduated from UL. She doesn't have TOPS? I went to UL on TOPS. Paid all my tuition(except when I was on probation one year from partying a LITTLE too hard). All I (my dad) had to pay for was books. UL is pretty big but not too big. (17000 students when I went there) The nightlife is definitely better than Lake Charles. Had friends that went to McNeese and I would go party with them. But that can also be a bad thing. There is literally a bar or club in Lafayette that will be packed with college kids every night of the week. Just gotta be dedicated enough to your school work to not go out EVERY night. That's how I got on probation my first semester. I am not sure where to look for other scholarship opportunities.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If the school has a guidance counselor they are a good person to talk to about scholarships. I got one and I didn't even make great grades in high school. You can also look online for scholarships. Some schools will offer one in certain depts. to encourage people to major in that field.
I agree with Seth. Lafayette is a fun town to go to school in. Lots of nightlife and fun festivals. It's small enough to not get stuck in an auditorium every class but big enough that there is some social life and fun to be had.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Lake Charles has quite a few bars, nothing like Lafayette or baton rouge though. Campus life isn't bad at mcneese. Its gotten a lot better in the past 5 years, especially since Dr. Williams became president. May not be LSU, but its not a bad place at all. Very good institution. I may be biased since I'm about to graduate with my second degree from there, but it is a great school. The faculty is great about helping you find a job after graduation, at least in AG. I work in natural resources, and there are mcneese grads in high places across the state in my field. It is a far more recognized name than people think, in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

either school is good. I went to McNeese and then to ULM, formerly Northeast La U. in monroe. I lived off campus at Mcneese and on campus at ULM. Both McNeese and ULL are academically equal in my opinion, as are all of the colleges in LA. Has she checked out Southeast in Hammond? My friend's daughter goes there and loves it. Not to far from Baton Rouge (about 30 mins) and a good school. Textbooks are cheapest at SELA. They rent all textbooks fro around $40 per book per semester. Other school you either buy or rent but at a much higher price than SELA.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
If the school has a guidance counselor they are a good person to talk to about scholarships. I got one and I didn't even make great grades in high school. You can also look online for scholarships. Some schools will offer one in certain depts. to encourage people to major in that field.
I agree with Seth. Lafayette is a fun town to go to school in. Lots of nightlife and fun festivals. It's small enough to not get stuck in an auditorium every class but big enough that there is some social life and fun to be had.
X2
Old 09-22-2012, 05:50 PM
Redfish

Cash: 861

I am a McNeese grad, but a very long time ago. I would think future career desire could have a big influence in school choice.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 742

All colleges will have some type of party scene. That's the nature of college. And she will sew her oats just like we all did. But the degree is the ultimate goal. The important thing to consider is what are her degree aspirations. If she is in doubt maybe she should attend close to home, get some of the core classes out of the way, get her feet under her and then transfer to the college that has the strongest program in her degree. If she knows without a doubt what her goals are, and LSU fits the budget, then send her. It's such a personal decision, many factors come into play. Extra curriculars are also important. ie sorority/ fraternity, academic clubs, service clubs, internships etc. Explore everything, talk to the school counselors, visit the colleges and also speak with the college admissions offices. Good Luck.

But as John Wayne said, "Life is hard, it's even harder if you're stupid!" So by all means get get that edumacation, lol.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

If she likes to fish, mcneese has big lake

sammich
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I graduated from LSU in 1989 and I've applied for several jobs at other schools in the state, so I've had a chance to evaluate a lot of the programs thoroughly. If she is interested in a science or engineering major, PM me and I can give you the inside scoop. Other majors, not so much.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:04 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

if you pay $10k more to go to LSU for a certain degree program that is also offered at another university in the state that is more local and cost less, go with the lesser of cost. LSU is nice but your not gonna get a job and make more money just because you went to LSU instead of ULL or McNeese! just my opinion, I got 34K tuition debt and I'm not working in the field that I studied, go for less cost and don't just learn a subject learn a skill to fall back on as well. this is the best advice I can give!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Flounder

Cash: 785

I attended ull and I really enjoyed my experience there. Like previously stated there is something going on every night. What I particulary like about ull is that there is no need to join frats or sororities where as lsu you almost have to. Ultimately though she really needs to take into consideration what her major is. Some majors at lsu u have to complete at their new Orleans campus and can prolong her college time.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

its better to start somewhere else other then LSU to drop out rate for 1st year is 3/4.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:34 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
its better to start somewhere else other then LSU to drop out rate for 1st year is 3/4.

Good point. I think most parents would do well to consider their child's susceptibility to party life temptations before writing the check to send them to LSU. Most of my high school classmates who started at LSU with me did not finish.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Redfish

Cash: 822

Im at my second year at ull and i like it alot. There is plenty of things to do. Partying is one of them, but i see alot of kids drop out because of it. It honestly dosent matter what college one goes to, in my oppinion as long as they hve a god reputation for the major that she wants to take, because after all the reason we go to college is to further our education.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Both my kids grads of McNeese, both doing real well. Have a friend whos daughter is at LSU, actually tuition is not much different than other small state colleges and she is an engineering student. Cost at LSU comes in for off campus rooming unless the student hooks up with others on a room.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Thanks for all your answers. The yearly cost of sending a child to LSU is 18k. It is 14k for McNeese and I suppose somewhere about in the middle for UL. She will have TOPS, but it is still a huge expense. She is not sure what major she wants to get into but she is thinking about nursing.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

ULL used to have a great nursing program don't know if they still do
Old 09-23-2012, 02:41 AM
Redfish

Cash: 822

ul is still known for its good nursing program. I want to say tuition and books and a dorm on campus with a meal plan which will feed you but the food gets old pretty quick will run about 14 grand a year, more or less depending on where you live. If you have any specific questions about ul you can let me know and ill try to find out for you if i dont know the answer.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by youu_whoo_whoo View Post
ul is still known for its good nursing program. I want to say tuition and books and a dorm on campus with a meal plan which will feed you but the food gets old pretty quick will run about 14 grand a year, more or less depending on where you live. If you have any specific questions about ul you can let me know and ill try to find out for you if i dont know the answer.
It is always a good idea to check out a school's current reputation with potential employers in the area. Many times, long after a school's reputation has dropped with employers because they have lowered their standards, a program continues to enjoy a good reputation with the community due to marketing efforts and a history of quality graduates which no longer persists.