SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > The Conservationist's Corner

The Conservationist's Corner For discussion of everything to do with conservation!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2010, 10:43 PM
Banned

Default Flounder Pressure in Cameron

This evening at Academy I spent a good while talking with a guy who specializes in catching flounder in cameron.

He told me since texas regulated the gigging laws and creels there, he's seeing a lot more texas flounder boats in our waters.

He also shared some information and I would like to verify whether it's true or false. He said during the fall flounder run, the butterfly shrimpers would rig up their nets in a special way. This method allows baitfish and shrimp to pass through the nets and only trap flounder. They set up at night in the bayou's and along the banks of the navigation channels.

He mentioned he buys shrimp near the "crab man" down in Cameron. During a couple of his trips he saw what he estimated to be hundreds of pounds in flounder being unloaded onto the docks by the commercial fishermen. The price was 2-3 dollars a pound.

The guy told me he mentioned this to one of the local CCA guys and they told him that is was impossible and wasn't happening.

My questions are, is this legal? Is is true?