SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 12-15-2009, 10:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714
Default First Rifle

I am in the market for my first rifle. I'm thinking about getting a 270 cause I was told that is probably the best all around gun for your first. Just wanted to hear some of you guys input on stuff like brands, short or long mag, semi auto or bolt action, synthetic or wood, stainless or black. This is one that I really like but not sure if it's a good decision since I have never owned a gun. http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=110839 thanks
Old 12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

if you get a 270 go with the short mag. and deff get bolt action. i recommend Remington 700. the sps models are cheap but still a good gun. you can get the sps then build on it by changing out the stock trigger and barrel as the years go by to customized your gun. there are plenty of acc for the 700 at really good prices. www.midwayusa.com
Old 12-16-2009, 01:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 600

Nothing wrong with the rifle but the scope is more than likely going to give you fits. Spend some money and get as good a scope as you can afford. Academy sells the Weatherby Vanguard (I think thats the model) in that price range. Remington and Savage should also have an offering in that range as well.
I'm not into the WSSM's so I would say get a regular .270 or a .308, definitely bolt action, stock and barrel dependent on where and how you will use it.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,477

Justin, Howa makes a good rifle. Check Acedemy they carry them, probably not in the camo, but you can pick up & get the feel of one. Let me know one evening & i'll ride with you if you wanna go look.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

i have a model 70---.270.... sweet shooting gun and great groups @ 100 yds. I have a Tasco sniper scope which is sweeeeeeeeeet i can pull in a $1 bill on a paper plate to where i can read you the #'s on it @ 300yds. real fine scope !!!!!

the rifle in the picture is exactly like mine, but no stainless barrell !!!

the scope is similar, but not exactly the same !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rifle 70.jpg (9.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg scope.jpg (13.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-16-2009, 11:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

I had posed this question here too. The general consensus on here seems to be .270, but lots of 7mm-08 guys and .308 guys out there for best all round gun.

FWIW, I've yet to purchase one either. I'm still leaning on the 7mm-08 in either Remington or Browning.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:22 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
I had posed this question here too. The general consensus on here seems to be .270, but lots of 7mm-08 guys and .308 guys out there for best all round gun.

FWIW, I've yet to purchase one either. I'm still leaning on the 7mm-08 in either Remington or Browning.
.270 is a good caliber, so is alot of others......I personally love the 7mm-08. Been shooting it since '91. Low recoil, hot bullet in 140 grain, ballistics are right on the heels of the .270.
1- Remington 7600,
1- Browning Micro hunter
& 2- Ruger Compacts one in hardwood & blue & the other in laminate & stainless.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:09 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtretrievers View Post
Justin, Howa makes a good rifle. Check Acedemy they carry them, probably not in the camo, but you can pick up & get the feel of one. Let me know one evening & i'll ride with you if you wanna go look.
I'm ready when ever you are man. Stan wants to know when you and the boys are going to come out there and knock you one down. Beautifull place man! Faron, Steph, and the boys are coming first weekend in Jan. I thought about the 7mm but I talked to several people at the camp that said that they have took shots at 20 or 30 yards and blew the whole damn shoulder off the deer but for a 200 yard shot can't go wrong but you can also make a 200 yard shot with a 270. Last weekend I borrowed a buddy of mines 1944 308 sniper rifle with a Charles Daly scope and man that thing was sweet!!!! When ever you get a chance to go with me let me know. I'm not going hunting untill the first so I have a little time. Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 630

Cant go wrong with a 270 or 30-06 also the bullets for these 2 calibers are very easy to find.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Flounder View Post
I'm ready when ever you are man. Stan wants to know when you and the boys are going to come out there and knock you one down. Beautifull place man! Faron, Steph, and the boys are coming first weekend in Jan. I thought about the 7mm but I talked to several people at the camp that said that they have took shots at 20 or 30 yards and blew the whole damn shoulder off the deer but for a 200 yard shot can't go wrong but you can also make a 200 yard shot with a 270. Last weekend I borrowed a buddy of mines 1944 308 sniper rifle with a Charles Daly scope and man that thing was sweet!!!! When ever you get a chance to go with me let me know. I'm not going hunting untill the first so I have a little time. Thanks for all the info guys.
Bring the cash!!!!!!!! Mon eve - thur eve give me a hollar.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Banned

I've changed my mind on rifles lately, I would go with a Tikka T3 in .308 for a hunting gun

.270 has a good bit of recoil for the performance. With the newer powders the short actions can make up the difference in energy and velocity.

fwiw i have a .270, 7-08, and 7 mag

If i had to do it over again I would go .308 b/c the deer will never know the difference between a .284 and a .30 cal

Also good .308 ammo is everywhere including tactical/self defense loads if need be

cdnn is selling winchester model 70 featherweight in 30-06/308 for just over 600 right now also!!!! sweet gun with pre 64 controlled feed (good for dangerous game encounters) i would not pay five for a howa when i could get this deal