SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-21-2013, 02:38 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427
Default Mississippi Primative Weapons

What is considered a primative weapon in Mississippi?

I want to buy my son a new rifle but i would like to get him something that he/we can hunt with for primitive weapon season. He's 9 years old bout 80 pounds and can handle a .223 just fine.
Old 11-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

.44 mag Handi Rifle.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

MS primitive weapon is any weapon of .35 caliber or larger, having a breech loading capacity of 1 round, with an exposed hammer. So the .35 Whelen craze has been hot/heavy, along with the .444 and 45-70.

I have been resarching this forever following the trial and error segment (past 2 years) on these rounds. All knock you into tommorrow, and are expensive ammo purchases. On a normal year, I may only get one shot at a deer over 200lbs., most are 150 and under. I have no need for a 180-220 grain bullet. I am not going after moose, elk, or buffalo. I really hated the H&R rifles - and the problems associated with them. So glad I waited and researched more options while my buddies are selling theirs off for nothing.

I am in the process of building a TC Encore, with a .357 Maximum barrel. The .357 MAX is longer than the .357 Magnum round, and when loaded with a 158gr JHP, is surprisingly accurate with the velocity and energy of a bigger rifle cartridge. Do some reading and Google Mike Bellm or MGM (Match Grade Machine) for barrels and calibers. Now, you will spend much more for this set up compared to an H&R, but you get more! And the ammo will be cheap once I am set up to reload. 2 50 round boxes were online at $70 which is pricey, but the factory loaded .357 MAX is hard to come by. I will be saving every brass case once it is fired for sure!
Old 11-22-2013, 01:12 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

FFF this gun is for a 9 year old.

If you are wanting to buy him a gun that he can keep and use his whole life then invest in either a Thompson Center Contender or an Encore. Both have youth stocks avaliable or you can buy it with a wood stock and cut it down if needed. I prefer the contender but you will have more caliber choices in the Encore. A Handi Rifle is a good gun too. I own several of them. They are a bit lower in quality but they do the job. As far as caliber I'd highly recommend .44 Magnum. For the same reason FFF recommended .357 Max. It will kill anything that needs killing and doesent kick like a mule in a rifle. If the Mags kick to hard you can always let him shoot .44 specials out of the gun. However the biggest difference is avaliablity. Your going to have to look long and hard to find bullets for a .357 Max and likely have to reload or shoot .357 mags or .38's. .44 Mag is much easier to find and if you do decide to reload components are easy to find as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:46 AM
Flounder

Cash: 631
Default Weapon of Choice

There was a bill passed in Ms. for leased and private lands call the Weapon of Choice bill. Next year , the way I read it, and please feel free to correct me, that next year in Ms.(not public lands) you can use any what ever you please during primitive weapon; a muzzleloader or a 7 Mag., etc. U may want to consider that in your purchase. Please let us know what you decide on. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:39 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppincork View Post
There was a bill passed in Ms. for leased and private lands call the Weapon of Choice bill. Next year , the way I read it, and please feel free to correct me, that next year in Ms.(not public lands) you can use any what ever you please during primitive weapon; a muzzleloader or a 7 Mag., etc. U may want to consider that in your purchase. Please let us know what you decide on. Good luck.

I read that as well after I posted this, It goes into effect next year. It's to hunt my father in laws lease starting next season so I will probably just pick him up a youth model .243.

http://msbusiness.com/blog/2013/03/1...-passes-house/

JACKSON — Some hunters who use modern rifles may no longer have to sit out primitive weapon deer season in Mississippi. A bill that would allow hunters to use weapons of choice on private land during this brief part of deer season is headed to the desk of Gov. Phil Bryant.
Bryant spokesman Mick Bullock said he expects the governor to sign the bill into law.
House Bill 1139 would apply only if the hunter is the landowner or is leasing the land, a member of a hunting club, or a guest. The bill would not apply to public lands. If a license is required, the hunter would still be required to purchase that license.
Deer season in Mississippi generally lasts from October to February, varying by region. The period for deer hunting with primitive weapons varies by region, ranging from about two weeks long to about six weeks long.
“A lot of people didn’t have the money to buy one of these weapons,” said Rep. Ken Morgan, R-Morgantown, one of the bill’s authors. “This gives you a weapon of choice, so if you want to hunt with one of those rifles, you can still use that type of weapon, but if you want to carry a 7mm Magnum, you can hunt with it also.”
Morgan said the primitive weapons include certain types of rifles and shotguns that can cost up to $900, and not all hunters want to spend the money or enjoy using them. He said the primitive weapon season alienated older hunters who didn’t feel comfortable using those types of rifles, as well as families that might not be able to afford purchasing several new weapons so they can hunt together. Primitive weapon season also includes crossbows.
“Our kids are either sending text messages or playing computer games,” said Morgan, vice chairman of the House Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks Committee. “We’ve lost a generation who don’t care a thing about hunting. But once you show them the enjoyment of hunting and being out in nature, you show them what they’re missing.”
Morgan said the deer population needs to be controlled to prevent the spread of disease, and allowing different types of weapons during the primitive weapon season would get more hunters involved.
The bill would not affect hunters until after Nov. 30, 2014. Morgan said this would give stores that sell the primitive weapons enough time to unload some of their inventory, since they anticipate lower demand after it goes into effect.