SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,329

Ray, mine was doing the same thing. Jerry's fixed it. I think he cleaned a jet or something.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,225

Don't forget to consider who will service your motor. I have some friends that are guides who all ran yamaha 4 strokes at one point. They switched over to mercury 2 strokes (Pro XS) only because they were displeased with the service at their local yamaha dealer when it was time to get the motors serviced; they were not displeased with the motors themselves. I have also been researching the yammys and mercs to decide which one is going on my new boat (hopefully within the next year) and good service and support is something that I feel is important to consider as well. Every motor is going to have some issues at some point or another, no matter which brand you buy, so getting it back on the water quickly without too much hassle is a good thing.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMyers View Post
Those are the first bad words I've heard about a Suzuki.

Sent from my EVO
Very good friend of mine has a 250 zuk with 90hrs on it tore up in the shop, and they dont know why it blew the head gasket. The paper read out shows the motor has never been over heated, or over reved, and 70% of the hours are ran between 36to4400 rpm's Its 6 months out of warranty, and zuky said shove it were the sun dont shine. $6500 for rebuild with 90 dat warrant, or $8500 for new powerhead with 3yr. warranty. This is my third friend with a zuk that has had this exp. one did have 700 hard hrs. period, but still in warranty, and zuk told him to shove it also. The mechanic working on the one with 90 hrs said zuk knows they have a problem with the head bolts on the 225 and 250's but does nothing to rectify the problem. Merc or Yamaha is the way to go. you wont go wrong either way.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post

Very good friend of mine has a 250 zuk with 90hrs on it tore up in the shop, and they dont know why it blew the head gasket. The paper read out shows the motor has never been over heated, or over reved, and 70% of the hours are ran between 36to4400 rpm's Its 6 months out of warranty, and zuky said shove it were the sun dont shine. $6500 for rebuild with 90 dat warrant, or $8500 for new powerhead with 3yr. warranty. This is my third friend with a zuk that has had this exp. one did have 700 hard hrs. period, but still in warranty, and zuk told him to shove it also. The mechanic working on the one with 90 hrs said zuk knows they have a problem with the head bolts on the 225 and 250's but does nothing to rectify the problem. Merc or Yamaha is the way to go. you wont go wrong either way.
When the lower unit went out on my Zuk 300, they gave Lake Area Marine a really hard time about it. If it were not for Lake Area going to bat for me I don't think they would have paid for it. My Zuk had 95 hours on the motor when it went down. When my Verado went down three weeks ago Merc paid for it without asking a single question. I understand Yam is also easy to deal with when motors are still in the warranty period.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Not sure about now, but Mercury was #1 down South for years.
My old 200 HP offshore motor was still going strong at almost 14 years of service when I sold her.

I also worked in South America and didn't see the first Mercury. But I saw a buttload of Yamaha diesel outboards. Everyone and their brother had diesel outboards down there, as well as diesel mini vans and small 4 door trucks with shift on the column. Long before we saw the small 4 door trucks up here.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

I love those VMAX cowlings you could shave your face in the reflection on them! lol
Old 07-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Site Owner/Admin

This thread has been reopened to anyone that would like to discuss the SHO v/s Optimax like the OP asked about. No more back and forth about Mercury or Yam's annual sales or other non productive posts will be allowed on this thread. If you want to participate in the Merc v/s Yam earnings call debate and you are a premium member with access to the gill net, please see below.

SaltyCajun.com
Old 07-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wide Open View Post
I love those VMAX cowlings you could shave your face in the reflection on them! lol

I had the 150 short shaft HPDI on my other boat. I loved it to!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,782

Im running a 250 SHO on a 24ft seafox. The boat weighs around 2400lbs dry and that sho can get it on step in less than a boat length. It tops out around 54 when loaded down to fish. In my opinion on the fuel milage, i think it does pretty well. I have a 90gal tank, and i can fish all week on that tank. She starts first crank everytime!!!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

[QUOTE="W";285589]Who has a BlackJack Red on BigLake with a Sho??? /QUOTE]

Capt Bruce Baugh has white w Red blackjack and SHO engine. BTW, his SHO blew a power head. 1st problem I've heard with the engine.

BUT there are at least 2 of that same boat on the lake. I've seen em both out. The other one was running like the pilgrim.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM
Red Snapper

[quote="W";285646]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post
thats him..idiot

If I was not about to stop and fish...and had the gas to burn...I was going to hook right up on side of him and show him how a Haynie Rolls......
Why didnt youy start a new thread, you would have gotten good responses on this one?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Bass fisherman I work with had a siezed journal bearing on his SHO.
Yamaha replaced the whole powerhead with no questions.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

[quote=cmdrost;285604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Who has a BlackJack Red on BigLake with a Sho??? /QUOTE]

Capt Bruce Baugh has white w Red blackjack and SHO engine. BTW, his SHO blew a power head. 1st problem I've heard with the engine.

BUT there are at least 2 of that same boat on the lake. I've seen em both out. The other one was running like the pilgrim.

Oh Lord, not you to
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,558

[quote=Raymond;285841]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrost View Post

Oh Lord, not you to
i thought the same thing too raymond!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Pilgrims they are among us........and who is the internet W?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,558

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Pilgrims they are among us........and who is the internet W?
You...great guy in person...then you turn into internet W offshore and between fishing trips!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Guys stay on topic please.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post
You...great guy in person...then you turn into internet W offshore and between fishing trips!

Just have to keep you in check!!! Get ready offshore tomorrow 7 days
Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 PM
Flounder

Cash: 993

My powerhead did not blow on my Sho-4 stroke. It turned out to be my lower-unit. I ran over a crabtrap and the line wrapped behind the prop. I did not recognize the problem until I made it to the ramp and pulled out about 18 inches of line wrapped inside.It blew about a week later. Dealer wrote it off as a defective seal. Yamaha then shipped me a new lower unit. All Warranty...

I ran Mercury outboards for decades. It was difficult to go with Yamaha, but after some research I decided to make the change. Its basically new technology. Its lighter by almost 100 lbs as last years 2 stroke and has more torque as well.
Mercury may come out with the same technology in the near future. Who knows...
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Flounder

Cash: 722

Obviously I am somewhat new HERE , but I definitely can Speak for the SHO and its capabilities.( I have owned every motor under the sun and sometimes 2) I have 2 family members who own 2 SHO's and several friends who are running them on Majek Extremes and they are FAST. I agree with most that has been stated.(Evis,cmdrost,mont.) etc. But all in all, a Majek Extreme 22' with a 250 Sho and a Bravo 1 XS prop fit for the boat setup is VERY fast. actually they are faster than the Merc. Opti's Pro Xs. seen it on a few occasions. For whatever reason that motor and that boat are a fit in paradise. I can only speak for that boat. And I do like Haynies a lot, but they are different vehicles than a Majek. I can tell you that a 250 Sho on a 20' Champion and the(new) FXP prop is Lethal I know that first hand. Even in this heat!!

Look on Youtube for an 82.4 mph Majek Extreme it will have a SHO on the back.

I will caveat this and say I like Merc. But they are Problem Child's most on here Know that.(Compressors, Electronics for sure). Wireing Harness Etc.