SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 663
Cheers troller question

Hi folks, I found the site while doing some research on bayboats "trying to figure out what I want" So I joined up. I have a troller question. Those of you with 21-24 foot'rs which trolling motors are you using or would suggest. I am looking at the I pilot but hear they dont hold up on the larger boats. I would really like to be able to control the troller remotely but will go another route is they break easy. Thanks for your thought.

The boats I am looking at currently are

frontier 21'
blackjack.
pathfinder 21/22

I am open to suggestions having never owned a bay boat. The usage will be for specs, reds, flounder and the occasional trip for snapper and such as seas permits.

Not looking to spend more than 50k + options. The frontier looks to be more of an entry level boat but I dont need a lot of bells and whistles.

Again thanks for your thoughts. Joe
Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

Cash: 18,490

Welcome to the SaltyCajun.

I'm sure there will be others along shortly to answer your questions.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Frontier is a great boat for the money. Takes waves very well.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by montauk17 View Post
frontier is a great boat for the money. Takes waves very well.

x2 and welcome to sc
Old 08-25-2011, 07:59 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

I own a Frontier 210. It has a 80 lb thrust Minn Kota 24v on it. Works fine. Plenty of power for the Frontier.

Oh & welcomed to SC!
Old 08-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Welcome aboard, I wonder where this thread is going...... you may want to join as a premium member so you can see the replies.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:04 AM
Great White

IMO keep it simple when it comes to trolling motors. The wireless motors are cool,but they break more often than a hand controlled. I used to be a minnkota fan,but they have went down in quality latley. If you hit something hard with a minnkota your day is over,shaft will break. Motorguide has a stainless steel shaft that will bend but you will be able to keep fishing. If it was my boat I would go with a 80lb motorguide great white. DO NOT buy a motorguide varimax,that is a POS.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

had a 80# m/k on my 22' bayboat, It did okay,until I would get in some stronger current or if the wind was blowin pretty good; then I was underpowered. I swithched it out to the 101 m/k. Will almost get on step with that one.lol Ive had it about 6-8 years now, no problems,except for the dirt dobber nest that got inside the head of it.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:51 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck-chaser View Post
had a 80# m/k on my 22' bayboat, It did okay,until I would get in some stronger current or if the wind was blowin pretty good; then I was underpowered. I swithched it out to the 101 m/k. Will almost get on step with that one.lol Ive had it about 6-8 years now, no problems,except for the dirt dobber nest that got inside the head of it.
Talked to Mike that fixed your minnkota....said he has been getting a bunch of the new ipiliots in for repair. Be glad you didn't buy one.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

welcome to the site! Good luck on the "boat search"!

Roll Tide!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-25-2011, 09:07 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

I have fished out of a 21 frontier and a 21 nautic star ,both have the 80 minn kota. So far havent seen any issues with being underpowered. Just make sure you have good batteries and keep them charged no matter what size trolling motor you decide on.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:35 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

I have a Triton 240 LTS, great boat btw, with a motorguide 109 on it and I dont need to use full power
Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If you are looking for a used boat get a 24fter, you will have no problem finding a good one in your price range, especially if you wanna make long runs in big water. The only thing my boat cant do is go on the flats and most bay boats cant do that anyway those extra three feet make alot of difference when it gets sloppy.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Sand Trout

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply's. The reason I was looking at a remote type was being able to control it when I'm not able to stay on the front deck. "ruff water and what not" The hand controlled type trolles seems to be better but do you find it hard to stay up on the deck at times? On do you just run the big motor then or stat home when its that ruff?

I listed the boats I was lookin at for trolling motor suggestions. Looks like 36v might be a better option also. I also bass fish and Know how loyal people are to there choice of boats. I'm not going to open a which boat is better for me thread. In the bass world they can get deep quick

I have fished salt water when I was younger just not shure what I want in a boat, thus the research. I have fished Fourchon and timbilear a lot back in the day. That was in a 14' Alluminum with a 25 merc. I'm shure I will have more questions as my search progresses.

I see most of you are in LA and I get back that way often, my mother lives in Gonzales. Maby after I am here a while I can meet some of the group and check out the set up or even a fishin trip...I'll get the gas.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:17 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

You'll get the gas!!!!!????? Ill call ya next snapper season!! I.feel a 50miler comin! !!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamacj View Post
Thanks for the reply's. The reason I was looking at a remote type was being able to control it when I'm not able to stay on the front deck. "ruff water and what not" The hand controlled type trolles seems to be better but do you find it hard to stay up on the deck at times? On do you just run the big motor then or stat home when its that ruff?

I listed the boats I was lookin at for trolling motor suggestions. Looks like 36v might be a better option also. I also bass fish and Know how loyal people are to there choice of boats. I'm not going to open a which boat is better for me thread. In the bass world they can get deep quick

I have fished salt water when I was younger just not shure what I want in a boat, thus the research. I have fished Fourchon and timbilear a lot back in the day. That was in a 14' Alluminum with a 25 merc. I'm shure I will have more questions as my search progresses.

I see most of you are in LA and I get back that way often, my mother lives in Gonzales. Maby after I am here a while I can meet some of the group and check out the set up or even a fishin trip...I'll get the gas.
36volt would be worth the extra money. You will never wish you had less trolling motor power. If you get a remote model go with the non I-pilot,they have been having problems with the main module going out.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
You'll get the gas!!!!!????? Ill call ya next snapper season!! I.feel a 50miler comin! !!
Shure....will 20 bucks get us there and back, can I keep some fish. Oh and if I barf in your boat will you understand?