SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826
Default Tohatsu 40 4 stroke

Will be buying a new motor for my 1648 semi v later this month. I'm tired of trying to find parts for the 40 year old johnson I have on it now.

Any owners? I've got a couple questions. What kind of performance can I expect? What's your average fuel consumption and how much running around does that get you?

Kyle at lake area quoted me and they're the best price around, good people over that way.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Are you looking at Tohatsu only, or do you plan on looking at others? I hear nothing but praise for the Yamaha 4 stroke. Sure wish I'd spent the extra $ for the 4 stroke back then instead of the 2.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

I have the Tohatsu 2 stroke, oil injection 40 hp (~50 hp with reed pulled) on a 1652 Alumacraft.

I get 6 to 6.5+ mpg depending on load.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:04 AM
Flounder

Cash: 630

Pretty much all the newer tohatsu tldi series are phenominal engines. Had one since 2007. Not a single complaint here
Old 08-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I have the Tohatsu 2 stroke, oil injection 40 hp (~50 hp with reed pulled) on a 1652 Alumacraft.

I get 6 to 6.5+ mpg depending on load.
I like to hear that. I've got a 12gal tank installed, should be more than enough to have some fun with. I was debating between the 2 and 4 stroke. Kyle steered me toward the 4 due to price and performance while only weighing 3 pounds heavier than the 2 stroke.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 AM
Redfish

Cash: 978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjaredsandwich View Post
I like to hear that. I've got a 12gal tank installed, should be more than enough to have some fun with. I was debating between the 2 and 4 stroke. Kyle steered me toward the 4 due to price and performance while only weighing 3 pounds heavier than the 2 stroke.
I had the a 2013 40hp 2 stroke and that motor was a beast. With a 6 gallon tank I rode from Cal Point to the jetties and zig zaged through a few spots in big lake. Thats 40+ miles. I ran out of gas at the launch on my trailer. I upgraded to a 9 gallon tank and never came close to running out of gas again.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

What Johnson you got and what you want for it?

Back on topic here the 4 stroke merc are tuff in that class. (Coming from a 40 year yam man. That working on touhotsut) I have no experience in one other then a 16/58 with the oil injection tdli. It's strong but can never get up in skinny water without over heating and shouting down about the time your about to get up. And get good water.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:08 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I have the 40 2 stroke. Love it. I took my 12 gal tank out i had for my merc and replaced with a 6 gallon. Sips gas. I heard nothing but good things about the 4 stroke and also the water pump on the 4 stroke is a lot stronger which is a plus in the marsh. Dont think you could go wrong either way. Ive had mine for 5 years and no issues. Running it on an 18/44 alweld tunnel about 35 mph. If i had to guess i would say i can run approx 35+ - miles on 6 gal
Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 AM
Redfish

Cash: 750

I've got the 4 stroke, you are welcome to run it if you want to try it out.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbleger View Post
I've got the 4 stroke, you are welcome to run it if you want to try it out.
I appreciate the offer. I plan on buying this motor, was just looking to see how others perform so I can somewhat know what to expect out of it.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Compare the numbers. First realize that torque does the work, not horsepower. The 2 stroke Tohatsu is a 42.5 cubic inch motor, the 4 stroke is a 53 cubic inch motor. I have owned and run both quite a bit. With the 4 stroke, I could run from Hebert's to Grand Bayou and back on about a gallon and half of fuel and ZERO oil.
The 2 stroke pumped 9 pounds of water pressure at best, the 4 stroke pumped 24 pounds at best.
As for performance, the 4 stroke will leave the 2 stroke in the dust on takeoff and top end on equal boats, you can't beat cubic inches.
The 4 stroke is the way to go. When I was testing the Ambush boats for Lake Area, we put a 4 blade 24 pitch cleaver on the 4 stroke and ran a 1548 right at 55mph. That motor would turn any prop we put on it. You would even think about getting on plane with a 2 stroke and a 24 pitch cleaver. The 2.08 gear ratio in the 4 stroke is a killer for hole shot. The motor likes to spin up and run around 6000 rpm. Kyle was right in suggesting the 4 stroke. As compared to your old OMC, you are going from a horse and buggy to a corvette
D