SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default getting something rechromed or powder coated

when you want to get something rechromed does it need to be cleaned and prepped for that?

in other words, say you have a rusted steel rim or bumper that's pitted, will the chroming process fill in any voids in the metal as it is replating?

and do you pay for how mant times its done? I hear about triple chrome plating so I assume that means the do the chrome process 3 times to build up a thick layer of chrome so I would again assume the price goes up ever time they do another chrome layer but does it double or triple the initial chroming price or is it just a little extra charge.

and a second question, is getting something powder coated cost about the same or less than having it rechromed?

I have never seen any of this stuff done so im wondering what is involved in doing it and what you need to do in advance of having it done.

I have a set of non standard specialty rims that are not readily available in the aftermarket rim market so im trying to figure out the best solution vs going to a salvage yard and repainting plan black rims and using hub caps or if its not going to cost an arm and a leg to get mine chromed or powder coated to look new again.

Last edited by keakar; 01-21-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

If you are rechroming something, and the blemishes that you have on the metal will be amplified once its chromed. Powder coating is ALOT less $$$, Id be surprised if you can even find a Chromer in LA, most have been shut down. I have to go to TX to get stuff I need chromed, now that being said, some PC have a really shinny silver, Kinda like polished aluminum look, but its not chrome, but a lot less
Old 01-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
If you are rechroming something, and the blemishes that you have on the metal will be amplified once its chromed. Powder coating is ALOT less $$$, Id be surprised if you can even find a Chromer in LA, most have been shut down. I have to go to TX to get stuff I need chromed, now that being said, some PC have a really shinny silver, Kinda like polished aluminum look, but its not chrome, but a lot less
ok thanks, so its like getting a paint job, it needs to have a perfect finish when its sent to be done because everything you can see will be seen after and show up more.

that rules out the rechroming then because its rusting in the seams of the rims and its too much work to get in there and resurface all that.

I guess if I cant find a decent set of junk yard take off black painted stock rims then sand blasting and painting or powder coating mine is the only way to go then.

back bumper needs a few small dents hammered out and such and the back side has a lot of rust so I guess that will get sand blasting and painted or powder coated too.

I have an old first gen 5 lug Toyota with 14" rims and 5 lug 14" Toyota car rims wont fit it so I would need to order custom rims for it and that's way too pricey, hell its a truck not a Cadillac lol.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ok thanks, so its like getting a paint job, it needs to have a perfect finish when its sent to be done because everything you can see will be seen after and show up more.

that rules out the rechroming then because its rusting in the seams of the rims and its too much work to get in there and resurface all that.

I guess if I cant find a decent set of junk yard take off black painted stock rims then sand blasting and painting or powder coating mine is the only way to go then.

back bumper needs a few small dents hammered out and such and the back side has a lot of rust so I guess that will get sand blasting and painted or powder coated too.

I have an old first gen 5 lug Toyota with 14" rims and 5 lug 14" Toyota car rims wont fit it so I would need to order custom rims for it and that's way too pricey, hell its a truck not a Cadillac lol.
post up some pic, would love to see that 1st gen
Old 01-21-2015, 04:17 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
post up some pic, would love to see that 1st gen
its not much to look at, its a beat up old farm truck but some idiot took the stock rims off and put cheap chrome rims on it so now I have rims that are half shiny and have covered in rust lol.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Flounder

Cash: 628
Default getting something rechromed or powder coated

Check out Thechromeshop.net , a buddy at work had his 1951 Ford F-100 grill rechromed and it came out beautiful. Triple plating involves copper, nickel then chrome. Oh yeah they are located in Madisonville LA..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Fishbum; 01-22-2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:34 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbum View Post
Check out Thechromeshop.net , a buddy at work had his 1951 Ford F-100 grill rechromed and it came out beautiful. Triple plating involves copper, nickel then chrome. Oh yeah they are located in Madisonville LA..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
thanks, I will check them out
Old 01-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
when you want to get something rechromed does it need to be cleaned and prepped for that?

Of course not.

Sent