SaltyCajun.com http://www.geaux-outdoors.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default leeville launch is a bit disappointing

went see the leeville launch yesterday and while its nice, I must say its disappointing to say the least.

its just a large open gravel road parking lot with back down slips and a very narrow kayak launch ramp that looks small (one or two at a time) but I guess its fine as long as you aren't launching as a group. there was a truck and trailer parked right in the center of the shell lot where the road is supposed be but this guy obviously hadn't given that any thought and thought you just parked anywhere you wanted. good thing no one else was around at the launch (very windy) or it would be hard to pass around this idiot.

what disappoints me is there is no lighting or restrooms or anything like that, not even a port-a-potty, and there is nothing directing people where or how to park and as we know common sense isn't very common so if a few idiots start parking at a slant instead of straight or if they cant figure out the unmarked road is supposed to be a spot left open in the center of the shell lot then I can see where it can be a CF fairly easy.

it would have been nice if they at least had paved the road itself so its clearly marked and idiot proof.

I am very grateful to have it but I was also hoping to see more from the money spent so far on it.

I hope when the later stages are completed, they also plan to address the lack of any thought into how basic and "raw" the setup is at the moment. it looks like they spread shells out onto a flat strip of marsh and dug a back down ramp with shot piers for launching and that's it. im not expecting first class paved parking lots and full amenities but this looks about as basic as basic can be.

Last edited by keakar; 02-10-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,486

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
went see the leeville launch yesterday and while its nice, I must say its disappointing to say the least.

its just a large open gravel road parking lot with back down slips and a very narrow kayak launch ramp that looks small (one or two at a time) but I guess its fine as long as you aren't launching as a group. there was a truck and trailer parked right in the center of the shell lot where the road is supposed be but this guy obviously hadn't given that any thought and thought you just parked anywhere you wanted. good thing no one else was around at the launch (very windy) or it would be hard to pass around this idiot.

what disappoints me is there is no lighting or restrooms or anything like that, not even a port-a-potty, and there is nothing directing people where or how to park and as we know common sense isn't very common so if a few idiots start parking at a slant instead of straight or if they cant figure out the unmarked road is supposed to be a spot left open in the center of the shell lot then I can see where it can be a CF fairly easy.

it would have been nice if they at least had paved the road itself so its clearly marked and idiot proof.

I am very grateful to have it but I was also hoping to see more from the money spent so far on it.

I hope when the later stages are completed, they also plan to address the lack of any thought into how basic and "raw" the setup is at the moment. it looks like they spread shells out onto a flat strip of marsh and dug a back down ramp with shot piers for launching and that's it. im not expecting first class paved parking lots and full amenities but this looks about as basic as basic can be.
How long does it take to launch a kayak?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,245

Still better than launching at Bobby Lynn's down the road. That place it very shallow.
The one by the bridge will save you $10 launch fee
Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

This is from Launch leeville

PIER & REEF STATUS UPDATE:
After failed attempts to learn of the additional Phase(s) of the Leeville Launch from Lafourche Parish Administration & Councilman Lorraine, I made other inquiries. As you will recall, CCA had made a commitment to fund an artificial and productive reef for the handicapped fishing pier. In speaking with CCA & WLF, the area of interest was assessed back in June. WLF determined the water depth surrounding the proposed pier, is not adequate to construct an artificial reef. Other impediments of the immediate area, are signs which read, "Do Not Anchor or Dredge". It would appear, these findings shed doubt on the handicapped fishing pier being promoted by the Parish Administration. The real outcome of this will prove interesting.
Phase I came in under budget by approximately $10,000, per recent Council Agenda. Councilman Lorraine was encouraged to utilize this money to install lighting at the launch. Councilman Lorraine has indicated lighting will be done during Phase II. The findings referenced within, would imply there is doubt of a Phase II ever becoming reality. There is a power source at the launch location. Lighting would deter crime and just makes perfect sense. And we wait...............
It took over a month to get the trash cans emptied at the launch.
I am often told, "Be patient." It took (6) years to build the launch.
How could I dare expect the garbage cans to emptied any earlier?
We all know this approach would not work in the Private Sector.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

Your gov't at work. Promise a lot, deliver little and go back on promises made. I am impressed though that they finished phase I under budget though.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:44 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837
Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightwindow View Post
How long does it take to launch a kayak?
Longer than it does to launch my boat. Boat is already loaded before I go to launch. I thinking of ways to downsize my tackle, and "stuff" so I can launch quicker. To the poster's point, I've seen guys take forever to get out of the way for others, so more room is always nice.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:34 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
Longer than it does to launch my boat. Boat is already loaded before I go to launch. I thinking of ways to downsize my tackle, and "stuff" so I can launch quicker. To the poster's point, I've seen guys take forever to get out of the way for others, so more room is always nice.
not just that but there are a lot of kayak events and tournaments where there could be dozens of yakers trying to launch and "start" in an organized manner and then there are the hobby groups who just like to go out in groups of 6 or 8 yaks to be safer as a group. with the limited space its hard to image room for more then 2 yaks to "wait" off to the side while others launch and the congestion is a lot more perilous for a yak that can tip over easy.

the plans "unless I imagined it" showed a concrete or paved parking with a restroom building and fishing piers. what they built so far was something me and you could have done ourselves in 4 weeks with a backhoe and 30 truck loads of gravel. it still looks like the very early beginning of an unfinished project so I hope and pray they do finish it as the plans showed it would be built.

no matter what it is a lot better then having nothing or being forced to use bobby lynn or boudreauxs and pay to launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
Still better than launching at Bobby Lynn's down the road. That place it very shallow.
The one by the bridge will save you $10 launch fee
wow, last time I went to bobby lynn (i think it went last year) it was still $5, they must have went up to $10 because of the free launch being built, so sad
Old 02-11-2015, 07:12 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
This is from Launch leeville

PIER & REEF STATUS UPDATE:
After failed attempts to learn of the additional Phase(s) of the Leeville Launch from Lafourche Parish Administration & Councilman Lorraine, I made other inquiries. As you will recall, CCA had made a commitment to fund an artificial and productive reef for the handicapped fishing pier. In speaking with CCA & WLF, the area of interest was assessed back in June. WLF determined the water depth surrounding the proposed pier, is not adequate to construct an artificial reef. Other impediments of the immediate area, are signs which read, "Do Not Anchor or Dredge". It would appear, these findings shed doubt on the handicapped fishing pier being promoted by the Parish Administration. The real outcome of this will prove interesting.
Phase I came in under budget by approximately $10,000, per recent Council Agenda. Councilman Lorraine was encouraged to utilize this money to install lighting at the launch. Councilman Lorraine has indicated lighting will be done during Phase II. The findings referenced within, would imply there is doubt of a Phase II ever becoming reality. There is a power source at the launch location. Lighting would deter crime and just makes perfect sense. And we wait...............
It took over a month to get the trash cans emptied at the launch.
I am often told, "Be patient." It took (6) years to build the launch.
How could I dare expect the garbage cans to emptied any earlier?
We all know this approach would not work in the Private Sector.

Is an idiot, I don't know how people keep voting him into office.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 949

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post

he is not the sharpest pencil in the box for sure.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
because too many old timers vote for who they recognize and don't pay attention to what they do in office or care or think about if they are worth voting for unless they get a lot of public exposure as a crook or idiot.

quite a few people said he was the only one that they "knew" on the ballot and didn't remember anything bad being said about them so they voted for him again.

its like all the young fools who voted for Obama then complain about high taxes and no jobs