SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 908
Question Where to go on vacation?

We had planned on going to Gulf Shores the first weekend in August, before the oil spill obviously. We wanna go somewhere else but we aren't sure where to go. I'd like to just cancel out any beach period since there's no guarantee that it won't wind up there at some point or another. What you guys and gals think about it? If it were up to you, where would you reschedule to?
Old 06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Smokie Mts???
Old 06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 809

We just got back last night from a week in the mountains.
Went to Gatlinburg, Tenn area. Had a good time but would just rent a place and go fishing if I had to do it again. Long drive 12 hrs
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

go to the beaches in texas if yall really want to hit the beach. but if you just scratching all beaches, hit up tennessee. Gatlinburg/ pigeon forge is an awesome vacation. We went last summer and had a great time. But I will say, don't be tempted to hit any of the tourist trap things. If it looks like a blast, go ahead and assume it sucks. The only thing touristy that was fun was the skylift up to the alpine slide and this company does some 4 wheeler rides that have some good views and pretty fun(pricey but considering all the money wasted on stupid attractions, at least you got something from this one). then we hit some old mill settlement for a few hours and that was fun. But honestly the best things about that area are the free things (ie. state parks and things of that nature) all the touristy crap cost a buttload of money and you feel raped after you leave cuz it wasnt even close to being worth it.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Smokie Mts???
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJ View Post
We just got back last night from a week in the mountains.
Went to Gatlinburg, Tenn area. Had a good time but would just rent a place and go fishing if I had to do it again. Long drive 12 hrs
Thought about that but we're only going from Thursday til Sunday so we're trying to stay somewhere kinda close, maybe just 1/2 day of driving to get there at most.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren View Post
go to the beaches in texas if yall really want to hit the beach. but if you just scratching all beaches, hit up tennessee. Gatlinburg/ pigeon forge is an awesome vacation. We went last summer and had a great time. But I will say, don't be tempted to hit any of the tourist trap things. If it looks like a blast, go ahead and assume it sucks. The only thing touristy that was fun was the skylift up to the alpine slide and this company does some 4 wheeler rides that have some good views and pretty fun(pricey but considering all the money wasted on stupid attractions, at least you got something from this one). then we hit some old mill settlement for a few hours and that was fun. But honestly the best things about that area are the free things (ie. state parks and things of that nature) all the touristy crap cost a buttload of money and you feel raped after you leave cuz it wasnt even close to being worth it.
Yea we've been to Gatlinburg before and I remember it being like that. We had more fun just riding through the mountains and stopping to look at the wildlife than we did at any of those "tourist trap" places.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Lake Travis in Austin, Tx. They's got a topless beach. Good water clean fresh water.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 343

ross,

you and i both know

that by august there will be no sign of oil

in all seriousness go hit up canyon lake in west texas

or the lakes near branson

fun stuff

rent a party barge and hang out
Old 06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Swordfish

I think we're just gonna go to Galveston and hope the oil doesn't head that way. My brother, my dad and I will probably try to get a fishing trip lined up while down there.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Swordfish

welp, dont take my idea then

be sure you let someone else man the net haha
Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

There's a really cool little resort just north of Galveston in a town called San Leon. It's on 146 and about twenty miles north of Galveston. The resort is called By the Bay. A little dude named Tony owned it when I was there in 08. Great guy, great place and great prices! It has a private fishing pier with specs around on the oyster beds occasionally. There are cleaning tables, freezers for bait/catch, grilles, etc... The rooms are pretty nice and most of them are two bedrooms and have full kitchens. I don't have a number on the place any more but, you may wanna check him out. I had a good time there but, I was also working so, the occasional speck in a daily beer soaked evening was great for me!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by yak'em-n-stack'em View Post
welp, dont take my idea then

be sure you let someone else man the net haha
Read what I said earlier fella, we're trying to stay somewhere close...within 1/2 a day of driving. West Texas doesn't exactly fall into that category buddy....
Old 06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Swordfish

geez, sorry lol

i feel ya though
Old 06-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Read what I said earlier fella, we're trying to stay somewhere close...within 1/2 a day of driving. West Texas doesn't exactly fall into that category buddy....
San Marcos is around SW Texas. Canyon Lake is about 5 hrs. from Lake Charles. You can go rafting down the Guadaloupe too.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Swordfish

BOOOM lol
Old 06-13-2010, 10:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,959

We had to cancel a beach vacation too. Headed to Toledo Bend . Looking forward to it.

Last edited by wetaline; 06-13-2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

lake ou****a, rent a houseboat for the week,its a blast
Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Ross........just got back from G-ton......ready to go back tomorrow.........Wind didn't stop all weekend, blowing at least 30 non-stop......Beach had a "mountain" of seaweed on it........that sucked. I've actually never seen anything like it before. The first 75-100 yds of water were brown, then beautiful green after that......It was like a rip 100 miles out...........Beach was swcrewed so we didn't even set foot on it, we didn't stop the whole weekend tho............Had a blast doin other stuff.........There is certainly plenty to do........
Old 06-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Ross........just got back from G-ton......ready to go back tomorrow.........Wind didn't stop all weekend, blowing at least 30 non-stop......Beach had a "mountain" of seaweed on it........that sucked. I've actually never seen anything like it before. The first 75-100 yds of water were brown, then beautiful green after that......It was like a rip 100 miles out...........Beach was swcrewed so we didn't even set foot on it, we didn't stop the whole weekend tho............Had a blast doin other stuff.........There is certainly plenty to do........
What ya'll did around there? We're definately gonna do the Moody Gardens thing but wasn't sure what else to do.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

We had the kids, so we did Shliterbaun. Moody Gardens is cool b/c of the Aquarium(but that's it)........The Rain Forest still has no animals since the storm lsat year. They are closing it soon to fix it up nice........WHAT EVER YOU DO!!!! DO NOT STAY AT THE COMMODORE BY THE BEACH!!!! By far the WORST Hotel I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in some 19.95 a night joints...........This place was 200 a night!!!! I'll call ya later...........