SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,321

On Toledo always wear both. Trying to get in the same habit on Big Lake. Do wear it most of the time
Old 06-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Kill switch yes, jacket no unless alone then yes. Should wear jacket all the time but don't.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 984

Yes, I wear the kill switch hooked to my mustang hydrostat. Use to never wear either. But, now with kids, it is a must for me.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Flounder

Cash: 640

I never wore either until I was riding alone in a 22' center console and had to make an unexpected sharp turn. Lucky I was able to hold on to the wheel with one hand, but it just about threw me out of the boat. If I went over, I wouldn't be typing this today. I now wear both every time I go out.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,453

I thought that was the law
Old 06-05-2013, 02:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 663

Got a 14 flat just converted into tiller handle - never before did I wear it but now I do n have to bc of the law but I don't have a place for a kill switch on my old merc so game warden told me nothing I can do about that
Old 06-05-2013, 03:17 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

I had a Buddy who's transom broke on his 14' with a 25. The boat started slapping left to right tossed him out. The boat started turning circles and hit him twice before it sunk. He barely made it. Had to take 5 pints of blood, it punctured his Lung, and ruptured his spleen. He had his life jacket on, but no KS. He said if he wouldn't of had his lifejacket on he could of dove both times cause he saw it coming. But it's like I told him if he would of had both on he wouldn't of got hit in the first place.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

This is a re-post of mine from last July.... Hydro

Finished up nice morning fishing trip out of Anthony Ferry, heading back to the launch up Houston River going around 20-25 mph and WHAM !!!

Hit so hard it pulled the tiller out of my hand, spun the boat 180 degrees and came to a stop in the woods backwards... All this happened in a nano-second...

Luckily, I had my killswitch hooked to the lifevest I had on and it shut the engine down somewhere between the time I was ejected from my seat and before I landed in the front of the boat...

Dazed, wet, and confused, there is no way I would have been able to get to the engine and shut it down had I not been wearing my kill switch...

Luckily for me there are only bumps and bruises... Nothing was lost out of the boat as it spun rather flat (wide boat)... Engine, prop, prop shaft, jackplate, are all good...

I was able to find the stump after I regained composure and got out of the trees... Right past the first set of powerlines on the L/H side, a little off of center, 6 inches below the waterline... After several attempts I gave up on trying to pull it out with the boat, its in there solid...

Be safe guys, this could have ended much worse... This is the second time a kill switch has saved my ***...

Hydro
Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 437

I always wear my PFD when running. Everyone in my boat does also. I try to remember the kill switch. Sometimes I forget. I have stopped numerous times to hook it up. I had a friend killed in a boating accident, and I have been in one myself. Better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

I wear my killswitch and depending where I'm running I'll wear my pfd.
One day a buddy and I were coming out of a corner full speed (25-30mph) in black bayou and hit something under the water. I flew up in the air and he flew forward in the boat. I don't remember if I had the lanyard on my wrist or not but I wont go without it on since then...I'm pretty picky about where I'll run without a pfd.
I have been stopped at the launch by a game warden because he didn't see that I had my killswitch on also.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:53 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Quote:
Originally Posted by K W View Post
Got a 14 flat just converted into tiller handle - never before did I wear it but now I do n have to bc of the law but I don't have a place for a kill switch on my old merc so game warden told me nothing I can do about that

You can always add one, fairly cheap and easy ...

Hydro
Old 06-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Flounder

Cash: 670

I will for now on always wear my life jacket and kill switch.
This past winter I was in my 16 ft aluminum boat(w/tiller handle) running down the river approx. 40mph. It was a cold day and I was going to go scout a hunting spot, so I had on lots of clothes and knee boots on, no life jacket! But I did have my kill switch on. All of a sudden my motor hit something, turning it hard to the left and slung me overboard in a half of a second. Kill switch worked well and the boat drifted over to the bank. Now where I was in the river, it was around 150 to 200 yards wide, maybe more, and I was in the middle. So here I am with a couple layers of clothes and knee boots on with not life jacket. Everything soaked up the water immediately causeing it to weigh me down, im a farely big guy at 6'4" 240 but in overall good shape, so swimming across the river should be no problem for I've done it countless times, but this time was different. I fought and fought for my life, trying to get to the bank and trying to keep my head above the water. I just knew that I wasn't going to make it and that this was going to be my last swim, but I had to give it all I had. And I still think to this day that if I had to go another 5 feet that I wouldn't of made it. I laid on the bank coughing up water and trying to breathe for about an hour, there was not a soul on the river that day so help was out. I eventually made it back to my boat and then back home. I ended up being sick for a week afterwards. I also never saw what I hit that day.

The next day me and my wife went to academy and I bought one of them auto/manual inflatable life jackets. I wear it every single time im running in a boat.
It's sad that it took something to scare the life out of me to make me wear my life jacket.
Don't wait for something bad to happen to you to make you wear it because you may not be as lucky as I was!
Law or no law it doesn't matter because the law is not going to save your life, the life jacket and kill switch will!
Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Pulled this pic off of a buddies Facebook page.. Not sure of the details but the driver wasn't wearing a kill... Post said luckily nobody was hurt!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.1 KB, 151 views)
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,488

Me and two buddies went tubing in big lake. I was on the tube and my buddies both got thrown out the boat when he hit his own wake. The driver was not wearing a life jacket or kill switch. I fell off the tube and got my leg hung in the tow rope but got it out after what seemed like forever but it was only a few seconds. The boat finally got to where it was running itself in circles and we all swam away from it. We treaded water for about 45 min creeping our way back to hebert's before anyone saw us. we were almost to commisary when it happend. My mom and dad happened to walk out to the dock to check on us and saw the boat going in cirlces with no one in it. They launched the boat faster than they ever have before with biglaketiger and came and scooped us up. Some other boat showed up and after trying to figure out how to stop the boat other than shooting and sinking it, the guys in the boat creeped up to my boat and threw rope in the prop to kill the engine. i Got back in the boat, put on life jacket, and the sheriff told me if he sees me at the launch without the kill switch he was giving me a ticket. We were all lucky that day. I always where my kill switch.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:13 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Do any of you guys keep an extra kill switch lanyard in your boat? Im going to get on and rap it around my steer wheel column. So if I shoukd fall out ,who ever is in it will be abke to start the engine with the extra one

sent from my Galaxy NOTE II
Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 710

Good idea, but probably not necessary. On my boats, you can just flip the kill switch toggle back into place with your finger. Just make sure my partners know how to do that. My stuff is old, so I am not sure if that has changed on newer models.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Do any of you guys keep an extra kill switch lanyard in your boat? Im going to get on and rap it around my steer wheel column. So if I shoukd fall out ,who ever is in it will be abke to start the engine with the extra one

Weird you say this, I actually decided to do this last night.

I don't have the flip type switch, it's a button that is held up by an insert on the lanyard.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Gooh I have the same type of switch. If I fall out. The lanyard will be on me and who ever is in the boat wont be able to start it. Ive been teaching my boys how to drive the boat in case something should happen. That extra lanyard could be a life saver for you in the water

Old 08-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 984

Never thought of an extra kill switch lanyard...good stuff. Will have one now.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,393

Excellent idea about the extra lanyard, I will definitely pick up an extra one this week. I have reasonly got into the habit of wearing an autoinflatable Pfd and my lanyard. To much to risk loss not to wear it. I also encourage everyone on board to wear one. I carry five auto-inflatable and five standard life vest. Anyone under 16, always have one on when the engine is running.