SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-19-2014, 07:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
That's my thinking as well. This makes since for meat hunters.
I don't know anyone that manages their deer for meat. I'm sure there are some but the big majority manage for antler size.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogface View Post
I don't know anyone that manages their deer for meat. I'm sure there are some but the big majority manage for antler size.

I don't have any numbers but I'd be willing to bet my left foot that over 90% who do manage manage for antler size.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:39 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
I don't have any numbers but I'd be willing to bet my left foot that over 90% who do manage manage for antler size.
The "brown is down" approach is effectively equivalent to managing for maximizing for meat harvest.

One only arrives at the conclusion that 90% of management targets improvements in antlers if one defines "management" as passing on shot opportunities at legal deer.

If one broadens the idea of management to include food plots, mineral supplements, and baiting, even when hunters on a property take nearly every legal deer that presents a safe shot opportunity, then lots of folks are managing to maximize harvest numbers rather than biggest antlers.

At the state level, a few states have implemented rules geared toward improving antler sizes, but many states have rules more geared toward maximizing hunter success rates which is also effectively equivalent to managing for meat harvest.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I know we can grow them because my uncle started putting out mineral blocks last year and the year before that the biggest buck he ever killed was a 13" 8 pt and this year they killed a 14" 8 pt so I know it works.

My cousin has 5 subscriptions to big buck magazines AND he is on DMAP. He also has some good outdoors channels on his satellite tv that most folks with basic cable don't get. He got me in touch with his DMAP biologist and we talked last night. Dude is an idiot, he said that the soil is what grows bucks haha! Deer don't eat dirt unless they come within 300 yards of my 300 ultra mag Then he tried to tell me that that 7 pt we killed 'woulda been a good one next year' because it was a 2 1/2 year old deer. How the heck does he know when that deer was born? Idiot I tell ya. Then we was talking bout them little wood******s they got up on Kisatchie and I told him that we got Ivory-billed wood******s on our place. We see em every year, and when them suckers get to cuttin up those turkeys be gobblin'. He tried to say it was some pill eating wood****** or something but he is an idiot and why I don't trust them biologists and why I never goin DMAP

The more I think about it I think that big 8 we seen on camera at night didn't make it. The last two pics we got on camera, the deer looked spooked and then it run off. Guy at the feed store hunts right down the road from us and he said he seen a big black cat right at dusk dark cross his shooting lane. Said it had a long tail and cleared that trail in one hop He said they hear what sounds like a woman screaming all time down in the hollow and its probably that cat, cat probably got that big 8 we was seein. His brother in-law hunts on up the road in Starks and he got this pic on his camera:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allenparishblackpanther.jpg (21.3 KB, 160 views)
Old 02-19-2014, 09:26 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
Unless yall own the land yall hunt I would let it go and find a bigger piece of land to lease. I hate hunting Louisiana due to "brown and down" and logging just before or during season.... that's why I like west Texas but then you have to "pay to play"
that timber company went up from $2 an acre to $5 an acre last 2 years. Me and my one uncle used to lease it by ourselves but since they trying to put the little man out of the deer hunting business by upping them leases, we had to get my other uncle to get in with us. He don't hunt but two or three times a year, but anyways we ain't leaving this spot, we been here 8 years. If they keep going up on the rates we are gonna contact our representatives and senators. This isn't right
Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post
Nothing against your place, but 40 acres is not enough to do anything in regards to managing. Plus 5 stands with 3 good plots is too many. I have 6 stands on over 300 acres with only 4 plots.
My cousin said that one of them magazines he gets they got food plots so we put them in. Some dude at the co-op store said we needed to put some limes out in our dirt or something but I ain't ever seen a deer eating a lime and ain't no dang lime trees in the woods so he was just trying to sell me some lime trees I think
Old 02-19-2014, 09:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I am wanting to grow big bucks but they keep shooting all my deer I am growing

DuckButter - first, I understand what you are saying, and what you are trying to accomplish. But, if you want to accomplish that you better go somewhere else! 40 acres is not going to allow you to grow deer. And the mentality of "they are shooting all my deer" will only cause you an ulcer. Unless you high fence that 40 acres, you are going to sound like a flaming idiot trying to justify a program to grow deer. Like I told a guy one time that was pi$$3d we killed 2 deer in one day, unless you put a tag in their ear, a collar on their neck, and make an appointment at the vet's office - these ain't your deer!
Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 669

I hope you were joking on calling the guy an idiot by saying soil type is what grows big deer. I don't think he meant actual soil but the mineral content of the soil in putting nutrients in what the deer eat. Soil rich in nutrients grow healthier plants that help grow bone structure in horns. Also it is not hard to age deer by pictures. Thats how you effectively manage a deer program by taking mature deer not just certain point and spread criteria. We try to only harvest 4 year or older deer (minus kids or people trying to kill their first deer).
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Cant eat antlers. Im a predator and predators hunt for meat. If its legal it dies. No hesitation or questioning. I dont hunt to admire animals and watch them mature. I hunt to kill food.
If people want to grow and hunt bigger antlers thats good for them if thats what makes them happy. I dont think its right to expect others to change to suit your style.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
The "brown is down" approach is effectively equivalent to managing for maximizing for meat harvest.

One only arrives at the conclusion that 90% of management targets improvements in antlers if one defines "management" as passing on shot opportunities at legal deer.

If one broadens the idea of management to include food plots, mineral supplements, and baiting, even when hunters on a property take nearly every legal deer that presents a safe shot opportunity, then lots of folks are managing to maximize harvest numbers rather than biggest antlers.

At the state level, a few states have implemented rules geared toward improving antler sizes, but many states have rules more geared toward maximizing hunter success rates which is also effectively equivalent to managing for meat harvest.
I guess you are right , I just never thought of brown is down as "management". I haven't hunted deer in over 10 years but when I did brown was down so I'm not nocking that.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
I hope you were joking on calling the guy an idiot by saying soil type is what grows big deer. I don't think he meant actual soil but the mineral content of the soil in putting nutrients in what the deer eat. Soil rich in nutrients grow healthier plants that help grow bone structure in horns. Also it is not hard to age deer by pictures. Thats how you effectively manage a deer program by taking mature deer not just certain point and spread criteria. We try to only harvest 4 year or older deer (minus kids or people trying to kill their first deer).
Naw he said soil is what grows the deer and then tried to tell me some other stuff he probably heard from one of those liberal professors that teach that type of stuff. He started using big words I didn't understand so I take that as an insult. I bet he don't even deer hunt. He don't know that I feed corn and rice bran year round and THAT is what grows the deer!
He mentioned trying to shoot deer that are old. Well deer don't get old in Allen Parish when your neighbor shoots everything that walks. I just want one of them bucks like they got on the lasportsman website
Old 02-19-2014, 10:45 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Cant eat antlers. Im a predator and predators hunt for meat. If its legal it dies. No hesitation or questioning. I dont hunt to admire animals and watch them mature. I hunt to kill food.
If people want to grow and hunt bigger antlers thats good for them if thats what makes them happy. I dont think its right to expect others to change to suit your style.
We like to put antlers on the outside of our camp and my wife likes em too she makes cool decorations with them we put above our fireplace. She made a candle holder out of a cowhorn spike I got 2 years ago. Can't do that with a doe. I try to only shoot one doe a year, does are for breeding, can't make babies by shooting the mommas
Old 02-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,152

Beginning to think this thread is a joke. If it is not a joke, no use in trying.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Maybe shop around for an opening on a lease thats already under a management program? I know its not the same as having your own place but may be your best bet. Good luck DB
Old 02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

DB
I'm having a hard time grasping the lack of knowledge your showing with this thread.
From many previous posts and threads you seemed more knowledgeable of wildlife and outdoors.. Just my take.. But if this is a serious thread, I hope you get the info your looking for..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

Quote:
Originally Posted by youmyboyblue View Post
Beginning to think this thread is a joke. If it is not a joke, no use in trying.
Ding Ding Ding... Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

I'm calling my Senator and Representatives too... Not being able to hunt at night is just not right... God said all creatures were for man's consumption... he didn't say only during the day... this is an outrage!!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,837

DB be trollin
Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

nice troll DB
Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

I think some ones got a hold on his account!
Rat dog wasn't even this ignorant!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:11 PM
Ling

shoulda brought this to lasportsman