SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CalcasieuExtremeRods

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193
Default Private Drones and your Opinion.

Read a story last week of a guy in Kentucky that was arrested for shooting down a privately owned drone. Destruction of property. The drone was hovering over his deck while his daughter (16) was sunbathing by the pool. The drone from what I read was taking pics and video of the neighbors property with permission to do so. I don't blame the guy for what he did at all. I would have done the same. I don't think he would have done the same if he had known what was going on.
My question is at what height do you feel you can defend your property? Naturally you can't be shooting at every helo that flies over but when you see a drone hovering in your backyard that brings up questions. Just curious as to others thoughts.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I say if its within shotgun range, and its within the borders of your property, then its free game.

airspace above your own property should be within your rights to defend it from outside invasions of any type of spy equipt from private or government sources.

I also contend that property is only something which you possess and a flying drone, once released, is no longer in your possession simply because it is within your control so therefore there can and should be no basis for destruction of property such as a car or boat because the drone can invade other property and is not attached to the ground or any surface.

want to keep your drone free from damage and safe, then keep it out of other peoples yards
Old 08-24-2015, 07:21 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I say if its within shotgun range, and its within the borders of your property, then its free game.

airspace above your own property should be within your rights to defend it from outside invasions of any type of spy equipt from private or government sources.

I also contend that property is only something which you possess and a flying drone, once released, is no longer in your possession simply because it is within your control so therefore there can and should be no basis for destruction of property such as a car or boat because the drone can invade other property and is not attached to the ground or any surface.

want to keep your drone free from damage and safe, then keep it out of other peoples yards
Good point and pretty much my thoughts. Of my neighbor is selling and want airiel footage that's cool even if they need an angle from my property. As long as I know what's going on. I would also want the pilots name and number. To just walk outside and see something hovering on your backyard not so much. That's just weird to me.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM
Redfish

Cash: 837

I don't know why the operators of drones don't get arrested for trespassing and possibly peeping tom charges.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

if u want to fly a drone, good for you.

i will treat it just like i do people that set up too close to me duck hunting...

shoot at it till it goes away. lol
Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
if u want to fly a drone, good for you.

i will treat it just like i do people that set up too close to me duck hunting...

shoot at it till it goes away. lol
I like the way you think.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Man it would be fun to send a drone across the marsh opening day; gonna have to keep it around 100yards to evade the 3.5" Black Cloud pattern master, super kicker guys.

Or just buzz the decoys like a GWT.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I heard they opened a "season" on drones in CO...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:58 AM
Flounder

Cash: 607

If the courts back up landowners that claim ownership of natural bayous, I'm going to claim ownership of the air above my property as high as my 12 gauge can do damage.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

lot's of profit here for lawyers
Old 08-25-2015, 11:47 AM
Sailfish

It's just an all around creepy thought. Whether it's a thief using to scope out your place ot some perv hoping to get a look at your daughter or wife in her bikini it's just creepy. I believe it would be time for some aerial target practice.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890

Sure wish I would live in some of your neighborhoods. I could use a new quadcopter after you shoot it down and after you get out of jail. Check what kind of offense it is to shoot one out of the sky.
And BTW, has any of you taken time to look at a picture or a video that was taken from a recreation quadcopter? The camera is so wide angle that you can't even make out the faces.
But just keep on being bad and actually shoot one and see what happens to you.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:37 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
Sure wish I would live in some of your neighborhoods. I could use a new quadcopter after you shoot it down and after you get out of jail. Check what kind of offense it is to shoot one out of the sky.
And BTW, has any of you taken time to look at a picture or a video that was taken from a recreation quadcopter? The camera is so wide angle that you can't even make out the faces.
I think you misread a lot. Nobody is talking taking shots at everything that passes by. Obviously you like them and that's cool but you also have to respect other people's privacy. Or at least I hope you would. You'd be ok going outside and seeing one hovering in your backyard and checking out your place? The only people that would fly on others property without permission would be a thief or a perv. Either way if your little toy is in my yard it goes down. You can call it being bad. I call it protecting my family from a weirdo creep.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 PM
Redfish

Cash: 773

Quote:

Not true. Recreational quadcopters now can carry full size digital cameras. I put a GoPro on one of my RC planes and can take amazing high quality pics of just about anything I can fly over. I don't fly over people's homes though, just do it over my jobsites.

I don't blame the dude for blasting it out of the sky for taking photos of his daughter.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:05 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
I think you misread a lot. Nobody is talking taking shots at everything that passes by. Obviously you like them and that's cool but you also have to respect other people's privacy. Or at least I hope you would. You'd be ok going outside and seeing one hovering in your backyard and checking out your place? The only people that would fly on others property without permission would be a thief or a perv. Either way if your little toy is in my yard it goes down. You can call it being bad. I call it protecting my family from a weirdo creep.
Through your own admission you are a weirdo creep with no respect for other's private property or privacy. Why else would you want the chance to fly over our property? I feel bad for your neighborhood.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default defense

they guy that shot the drone needs a cheap lawyer and this video and he is off the hook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI--wFfipvA
Old 08-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post
they guy that shot the drone needs a cheap lawyer and this video and he is off the hook

Yeah I'm sure we don't want that flying around the neighborhood. I guess we are just supposed to trust the pilot though.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman1911 View Post
Through your own admission you are a weirdo creep with no respect for other's private property or privacy. Why else would you want the chance to fly over our property? I feel bad for your neighborhood.
I am glad you don't live in my neighborhood with your choice of words and you being able to judge.. Name calling is your only answer. Maybe you should spend more time reading the bible than on the internet.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfighter View Post

But that is not a store bought quadcopter. It is a specialty built quad. You can't go to your local HS and buy that.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I am glad you don't live in my neighborhood with your choice of words and you being able to judge.. Name calling is your only answer. Maybe you should spend more time reading the bible than on the internet.
This from the person that wants the chance to use his toy to spy on others property. Man you really got me