SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,196

Last day of the season I had my wife and oldest son in the blind with me, it was a tough hunt. Towards the end of the hunt I saw a flock of green wings flying low. We were hunting open water so I told them to look to the right and get ready. I was fortunate enough to call the shot at the right time and my wife and son started shooting. I would point at a duck but before I could squeeze the trigger one would drop. Out of that flock of six they had four of the ground just the two of them. We only killed 8 ducks that day but it was my best hunt of the season due to the way they handled themselves. I was very proud, my 10 year old is more into duck hunting than any kid I have ever seen.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

Freshman year in high school (14 years ago) my uncle and I hunted the whole Christmas holiday.. We left on a Friday afternoon from Kaplan to go to the camp in Tensas cuz we had killed them the weekend before. Hunted Saturday morning and killed 2.. Not satisfied we left there and drove straight to Pecan Island. Woke up Sunday morning and went hunt Miami Corp and limited out!!
On the way from Tensas to PI my uncles labs was in the back of the truck and we had the lil sliding back glass open so he could get some heat.. He ended climbing in the truck with us...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,687

I was hunting cow island withy dad when I was 15 or and we had a pair of geese that wanted in so we crouched down low and waited. They end up landing out of range. We were waiting that out when some hunters to the north shot and scared off a massive flock of geese. It looked like a cloud on the horizon, like one we had seen before bit never had a chance at. We got real low and sat still for what seemed like forever. They ended up landing in our ponds as luck would have it. I think those two geese wee the sole reason for that. Anyway as luck would have it they were all out of range, like they knew where we were and landed all around just outside of range. Smart little boogers. With them the ducks started buzzing us from all directions. It was hard to get the jump on them because we were hunkered down so low. My crack barrel 410 jammed so my dad let me shoot his gun. We didn't slaughter them by any means but killed 6 green heads and I don't know what else. My dad had a blast watching me shoot as did I. Ill never forget being in the middle of a thousand plus geese even though we shot none. The NOISE was incredible.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

Me n clampy went on a guided trip urs ago and a group of 10-12 greys came in and we smoked 9 of them. Same hunt clampy showed his ***** skills and smoked a specked flying Mach 10 with the wind. One of those shots where no one had time to say anything he was first draw and smoke him.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:28 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

After these stories I'm lookin forward to quick limits again this season....Last year I think it was second wknd of teal season...Limited in less than 15 minutes...I decided to sit in the blind and watch the birds roll in for a couple minutes and just had to roll...I was loaded up and leaving by 7am..headed back to the camp for eggs, bacon and bisuits. Cant beat dat. Teal jambalaya for lunch...nothing but love.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

How bout worst in blind experience. We were hunting a pretty good size piece of property last year in Klondike We only had two permanant blinds, So we build a make shift blind in the dark the night before on another pond we had. We had the blind primed and ready to go. We get there the next morning and right at shooting time a lone spoonie come cruising in. Bam one bird down. I grab the bird from my dog, and she sits back down. Next thing you know we start hearing he making all kind of noise like shes rolling around. As soon as we hear that we smell it. Aparently we had woke a skunk up when we shot that spoony, and my dog caught the wrong end of him. The smell was so bad we had to leave. All 3 of us were either gaging or throwing up. That smell was stuck in my nose till that night.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Man, this thread got me going this morning. I don't think there is anyway I can pick just one so here are a couple of samplers while I think about it.

1. One January after a couple of fronts, the water was low in the marsh and the teal had moved in mid week as thick as I have ever seen. So for that Saturday, I invited 9 friends (10 including me) to come down to the camp Friday night. Our game plan was we hunt in shifts. I took the 1st group out and we were back at the camp with our limit within the hour. Loaded the next 3 in the boat and headed back out, repeat 1 more time. The 3rd group was done, picked up and back at the camp eating breakfast thanks to the 1st group by 9:00. 10 man limit, 3 boat trips, and still coming in. It would take me longer to pick them up than it would for the blind to kill their limit. Awesome time and one that we still talk about.

2. One season we had a massive (bigger than what you are thinking right now) roost of ducks about 1/2 mile from my blind. They stayed there all year and we intentionally left them alone. I have never seen birds like that season. I would take people and they would just freak. It was common to have so many birds circling our decoys that the 'circle' was literally a circle. I had to tell many friends to quit looking around and just watch the front hole in the decoys - that is where they were going to break. There was too much going on to focus on anything else. It wasn't everyday, but for that whole season it was probably 75% of the days that year. I have hunted a lot for a long time and I have never seen anything like that year.

3. Had a great yellow lab and every once in a while we would go back out after our hunt to help somebody else look for a lost bird or two. Lots of great stories, but 1 day as my dog seemed to pick up a smell the hunter kept telling me she was in the wrong spot because the duck fell over there. I just said OK, but she is on to something so let's just allow her to do what she does. She did her zig sagging and it kept coming up dead end. On it hot and dead end. After watching this a couple of times, I got out and figured I would go help. There was an otter trail through the marsh connecting 2 ponds and she would pick the smell up on this trail and then it seemingly just disappeared. Finally, she put 2 and 2 together and said if it keeps disappearing in this same spot every time then that duck must be right here. She started tearing at the mud in this trail and pulled that teal out of the ground. We had both walked over that spot more than once. One of the most amazing things I've ever seen honestly. That teal had buried itself in the soft mud.

4. We get to the blind (small island in a large lake/pond) before sun up 1 morning and my dog just jumped out of the boat and started swimming through the decoys. He was young and trying to replace his momma from the story above, but man he had a mind of his own. I tried to call him back, but he wouldn't come. What ever, you just better be back before it is time to leave. LOL. Sun comes up and we can see him on the bank edge on a big island 1/4 mile away. He is running back and forth in 1 area and it looks like he is working hard. Oh well, I have ducks to worry about. Next thing we know he is swimming back after about an hour. Then we notice he has something in his mouth. he gets back to our island and delivers to me a widgeon with a broken wing from a day earlier in the week. Now, I have no idea if that bird was hiding on our island blind and the chase started as soon as I parked the boat, or if he had a bionic nose and smelled something for a far, or the most likely scenario - he was being the hard head like usual and playing around and just ran across it. Either way, he thought he was a hero.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Redfish

Cash: 723

Was Guideing at the LAKE ARTHUR HUNTING CLUB one morning an i had a 7 year old boy an his dad we killed a few birds it had slowed down out of know where a green head lit on the pond behind a pile of cut grass well the lil boy could not see him so he told me to shoot behind it an scare it up so he could shoot it so i picked my gun up he got ready i shot right behind it an he aims CLICK!! didnt have one in his chamber he pumps his lil youth model 20gauge an boom!!!!! Rolls the bird dead sent the dog to go get it comes back with it the belly showing an a band on his leg should have seen how happy that lil boy was made my season
Old 08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
Sailfish

Churn last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
After these stories I'm lookin forward to quick limits again this season....Last year I think it was second wknd of teal season...Limited in less than 15 minutes...I decided to sit in the blind and watch the birds roll in for a couple minutes and just had to roll...I was loaded up and leaving by 7am..headed back to the camp for eggs, bacon and bisuits. Cant beat dat. Teal jambalaya for lunch...nothing but love.

Last yr was my best teal season ever. I hunted 13/16 days and our longest hunt was like 18min. last day me n clampy brought a buddy we killed 12 birds in 11 min.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Sailfish

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilrab1989 View Post
Was Guideing at the LAKE ARTHUR HUNTING CLUB one morning an i had a 7 year old boy an his dad we killed a few birds it had slowed down out of know where a green head lit on the pond behind a pile of cut grass well the lil boy could not see him so he told me to shoot behind it an scare it up so he could shoot it so i picked my gun up he got ready i shot right behind it an he aims CLICK!! didnt have one in his chamber he pumps his lil youth model 20gauge an boom!!!!! Rolls the bird dead sent the dog to go get it comes back with it the belly showing an a band on his leg should have seen how happy that lil boy was made my season
I bet! that's good stuff right there. that's what it all about.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,807

My uncle (moms b-I-l) had a lease in Miami Corp for his trucking company and another uncle and I stayed out there. One morning we decided to hunt a pond that was a hard walk through about 300 yards in the marsh. We get out there and there was another guy( damn moocher) already there and he had drug a pirogue out there with some brush.. Being a big pond we decided we'd just set up on opposite side from him.. Well while we were setting up my uncles dog runs over there to check out his dog, next thing we know the guy hollers " YOUR DOG TOOK MY BOAT"... Coco had jumped in his pirogue which was slightly pulled up on the bank and it slid off.. We laughed our arses off. When the wind finally pushed the pirogue back to where he could grab it he grabbed all his $hit and left... We had run-ins with a couple of my uncles "friends" out there but we ran that lease...
Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Best memory I ever had was with my brother sitting in the blind all morning til around 9 am haven't fired a shot or seen a duck my brother decides to get out of blind and as he does a flock of teal make a pass he jumps back in the blind they make one more round and we unleash hell on them when everything is said and done 12 teal lay at our feet limited out and all we can do is look at each other in amazement and wondering how in the hell we just pulled that off.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Flounder

Cash: 661

I grew up hunting with my Grandpa and Uncle in Johnsons Bayou. My grandpa had a lot of shotguns. One was a Tecumseh 12 gauge. He never would take it out. He always said it kicked to much. One morning we get to the lease and he pulls out the old shotgun. We make to to the blind. Just at shooting time a teal come flying at us at a 100 mph. Grandpa throws up his shotgun and fires. All I see out of the corner of my eye is him flying out the back of the blind. Glasses flying and him falling. After we made sure he was okay, I volunteered to switch guns with him. He was cussing and we were laughing. Not many ducks killed that day. But 30 years later, me and my brother still sit around laughing about that. Great memories.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

Had a buddy that had irritable bowel syndrom and he could pinch a loaf in a half of a second! Needless to say, when he says i got to go.....you don't have much time! Well, 3 of us are in a blind and he is in the middle and the infamous line "I got to go!" comes up. Well, we scramble to get him out of the blind and point him in a direction to go. He travels about 30-40 yards away andtakes care of his business. He travels back and we are like, "did you step in it? must be down wind! It was teh worst smell ever! Well, we travel back adn cant get rid of the smell! When he went to pop a squat, he left his loaf in his waders and rolled it back up and in!!!! We cried laughing and almost threw up! It was the funniest thing i have seen!
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Went to a buddies pit south if Crowley with my BiL one morning, start walking down the levee and the dog is nowhere to be found. We holler and whistle, he doesn't show up. About 20 minutes after shooting light we see him way on the other side of the field making his way back, he gets closer and we both look at each other with a *** look on our faces. Ol' Kojack had a wounded speck in his mouth, and we haven't even heard geese yet that morning.

No telling how far he went for that bird, how it got there, or how long it was where it was - he smelled it and was going drag it back! He got put down just before last season, hunted with that dog from the time I was about 15 until then... He won't be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-30-2013, 03:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Last yr was my best teal season ever. I hunted 13/16 days and our longest hunt was like 18min. last day me n clampy brought a buddy we killed 12 birds in 11 min.
Opening morning last year we had 60 teal in 30 minutes. Limits everyday and ended the season with 498 total
Old 08-30-2013, 06:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,070
Default Spunt drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Went to a buddies pit south if Crowley with my BiL one morning, start walking down the levee and the dog is nowhere to be found. We holler and whistle, he doesn't show up. About 20 minutes after shooting light we see him way on the other side of the field making his way back, he gets closer and we both look at each other with a *** look on our faces. Ol' Kojack had a wounded speck in his mouth, and we haven't even heard geese yet that morning.

No telling how far he went for that bird, how it got there, or how long it was where it was - he smelled it and was going drag it back! He got put down just before last season, hunted with that dog from the time I was about 15 until then... He won't be replaced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now
Free
I think spunt drag has a story worth telling on here. Everybody haggle him to tell it. It'll make you think twice about keeping an eye on your dog!
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

Back when I was a kid in the late 70's early 80's, My dad would take us hunting on bayou Katorche (spelling?) off of the mermentau river. Just about all of the hunting was done as pass shooting, because very rarely could you get something to decoy in. Most of the birds were en route to the nearby rice fields. My dad ended up making some tree blinds about 50-60' up in the trees in the flight pattern to even up the odds a bit. I remember being there many hours while they built these things. Used railroad spikes to climb the tree and pretty much make like a lil tree house in the top of the trees. He ended up building Himself one,and my 2 brothers each theirs,and also helped a couple of buddies build one too. Well, I was too young to hunt in the sky scraper blinds,so me and my mom would sit in the boat below and we were the retrievers. If my dad would knock down a cripple, my mom would crank up the boat and we would go pick it up. I remember one morning my dad knocked down a female mallard, me and mom crank up and go pick it up. We get back to our lil hiding spot,and I see the ducks legs move a little. My mom reaches down and picks it up. when she picks it up, it gives a lil quack. Then the ducks head kinda pops up. So, then my mom puts the duck in her lap spreads its wings open to show me the pretty colors on the wings. As soon as she lets the wings go, the duck makes another quack. We both thought it was funny,so she kept doing it,and every time she would, it would quack again. She then started acting like it was dancing in her lap along with the wing quacks, until suddenly it had enough and jumped out my moms lap and started flying down the bayou. She began hollering at my Dad to shoot it, by the time he saw it, it was almost out of range. He knocked it down, and then asked us, Where did that come from? My mom says, out of my lap. It was still not all the way dead when we picked it up the second time, but this time mom rang its neck. Supper had almost gotten away. I look back at those times now, and realize how crazy that was,but it sure was some fun times growing up. I never did get to hunt out of those blinds, by the time I was old enough we had stopped hunting in that area.