SaltyCajun.com http://www.braggingbadges.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

He is entitled to a 220 volt spread if his heart desires it. If it blows his skirt up, I'm happy for him. I hope it brings lots of luck to him, and he kills droves of birds over it. But when you start having to do algebra formulas to get your wiring right for your decoy spread, I think it's gone a little far. I'm all about new ideas and new thinkin to kill more ducks, but lets keep the main thing the main thing. Good luck to all of you Saturday.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

P.S. I'm not tryin to sound like a bully or know it all, it's just an opinion, don't blow your tops over it.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
He is entitled to a 220 volt spread if his heart desires it. If it blows his skirt up, I'm happy for him. I hope it brings lots of luck to him, and he kills droves of birds over it. But when you start having to do algebra formulas to get your wiring right for your decoy spread, I think it's gone a little far. I'm all about new ideas and new thinkin to kill more ducks, but lets keep the main thing the main thing. Good luck to all of you Saturday.
Lol. You have a point with the algebra
Old 11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596

I never do or will. My entensions are for my spread and blind to look more natural than others. And if it means for me to have what looks like a content mallard stretching and flapping and putting ripples on the water at the same time so be it. Ill c how it works. Mojos work plain as day If they look natural imo
Old 11-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,338

Ill tell you what's a good deal, academy has clip on decoy motors for 9.99. I bought 3. Gonna try em this wknd. Should add some great motion to the spread
Old 11-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

A few years back I bought a decoy that had a moving head and a propeller on the backside. It sucked! The batteries (D sized) lasted like 2 hours! The prop hung in grass and it stopped spinning. It was disappointing. The year after I tried the duck that had the motor underneath the keel (torpedo shaped motor). Again, batteries didn't work well at all.

Since then I have started making my own decoys. I even cut one up, filled it with foam, put some props coming out of the side and threw it in the water. It worked too...

Its a byproduct of dreaming about ducks you know.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
I never do or will. My entensions are for my spread and blind to look more natural than others. And if it means for me to have what looks like a content mallard stretching and flapping and putting ripples on the water at the same time so be it. Ill c how it works. Mojos work plain as day If they look natural imo
If the battery doesn't last just put a 6 volt golf cart battery in your blind. We did this a couple of years ago and only charged it 1 time during the split.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
Its a byproduct of dreaming about ducks you know.

i've made some contraptions believe me lol!!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Nothing wrong with algebra.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgizzle View Post
Yeah everytime I see a flock of ducks sitting naturally in a pond there is always one that just sits there and rotates his or her wings constantly, and usually one in there that is stuck on a metal pole doing the same

That is just sarcasm, not trying to hate, plus I need to get some more saltycash
Old 11-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Yeah everytime I see a flock of ducks sitting naturally in a pond there is always one that just sits there and rotates his or her wings constantly, and usually one in there that is stuck on a metal pole doing the same

That is just sarcasm, not trying to hate, plus I need to get some more saltycash

Ur wrong tho the duck isn't sitting there flapping all the time. You see ducks turn on a few secs and off. Content duck on water stretching and flapping. Hmmm sound better?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Damn skate innovation doesn't crap itself out...
Old 11-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

@bgizzle Nice set up. Anyone ever use speck decoys with some kind of motion?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,541

Brown telephone cord is a good idea! You can just hook it up to a lil light switch or any other kind of switch!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck enticer View Post
I rigged up a toggle switch to a waterproof electrical cord like that. I think I had about 100'. You want to make sure to get a chord that is only as short as you need and a gauge wire that doesn't cause your battery to wear quick (thinner gauge wire)......You will see what I am talking about real quick. Those batteries don't last long when you ask them to run through 100' of extension chord wire to complete a circuit. Just takes a lot of juice.

Maybe an electrician could comment, and I could learn something, but those batteries don't last near as long running through that chord and here is why I think that is the case.

All I remember is E =I*R from a home an electronics course I took. R = resistance, and with that long chord and large gauge wire Resistance goes up. Therefore as R goes up you get less voltage (E)

I tried the remotes too....They don't seem to work outside of about 50 foot. Also, if the receiver gets wet they are caput. I went through 3 of them in 2 years. I am a little tired of that.
I'm an electrician and i support this message, in this case however its I=E/R that your concerned about. Longer the wire the more the resistance which means more amps which means quicker battery draw, also under sized wire will cause the wire to "heat " up causing more electrical resistance then back to more amps. The golf cart battery and adding a solar panel charger could be an option, I'd hardwire a switch though instead of plug unplug for on off. I would think 16-14 ga extension wire would be plenty at 100'. "small print disclosure". I was wrong once before though lol.

Last edited by Shawn Braquet; 11-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

we use ohms law. V=IR. Completely agree with Shawn though on why it's draining.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

I = V/R is the same as V = IR which is the same as R = V/I
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,382

Lol preciate the lesson
Old 11-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Sailfish

Lol! Y'all crazy. Lol. No one said its draining I used that battery just to make sure it would work I have a big 6v. Thanks for everyone's .02