SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,596
Default Best in the duck blind expierience...

Please don't highjack. I like to hear ppls stories about their craziest time in a duck blind.

Ill start...

About 10-12 yrs back I was hunting in intracoastal and it just so happened that 10min before shooting light a front was moving through. You could see the dark wall of clouds way off against the the canal a good ways away. Through the clouds as high as you could see with what light we had emerged a wall of ducks drove after drove after drove of tightly packed wads of migrating ducks big and small. Thousands upon thousands of birds and it seemed like it lasted for 10min but really only for about 2-3min. I couldn't put a number on it really and truly nothing short of amazing. After they passed and it came to shooting time it seemed like the sky was always full of ducks that morning we were able to pass on teal and every other duck and shoot greenheads and drake pins. Never had to call really but the old man still did but truthfully we could only load up and get ready for next flight. We finished out limit in 30 or so min. And watched for the next thirty in amazement. If only I had a go pro or a smartphone..... Never seen as many ducks again after that day. Don't think I will. But hope to when I have kids so they can fall in love with the outdoors like I did.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:39 AM
Redfish

Cash: 723

About 6 years ago me an a buddy went on a good ole afternoon speck hunt called about 10 specks in he pick up an shoots the highest bird out the bunch first shot killed the bird he swings to kill the next bird paying no mind to the first bird he shot before he could pull the trigger the second time SMACK!!!!!!!! first bird smokes him right in the chest craziest thing i have ever seen in a duck blind in my life
Old 08-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

The first time I ever duck hunted, I was maybe 10 years old. My old man was never big on hunting or fishing because he was always working, so my uncle took me, my dad, and my brother to his lease. When the ducks started coming in, all three of us were making some pretty long shots. Mu uncle was impressed and asked what kind if shells we were shooting........ My old man hold up a box of lead shot . By that time we were only a few ducks away from a limit so we fininshed off and then all 3 of us got a stern lecture from my uncle. I've had better experiences in a blind, but this being the first time in a blind and coming home with a limit was hands down the best.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM
Redfish

Cash: 879

Five years ago was my dog's first season hunting. Opening morning first bird of the day was a teal that came in real hot and my buddy stands up and smokes him. The teal falls about 40 yards behind the blind in the marsh. I send my pup and she makes a b-line for the bird and comes right back with the teal. Awesome first retrieve for her and to make it even better that teal was banded! Didn't think the weekend could get any better until the next morning when I killed a Cinnamon Teal out of a flock of Bluewing's. That was definitely a weekend for the record books.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Pretty good memory from last season is smoking a grey duck that came in head on pretty high over the decoys, I didn't think id get him but ended up knockin him down and the duck came falling fast straight into the blind...had to dodge it or I woulda got smacked straight in the head
Old 08-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Sailfish

We had a teal come meet us last yr, got it on go pro
Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

About 12 years ago my grandpa, a buddy, and I went make a afternoon hunt during teal season. We show up to blind about 5:30. Maybe 15 minutes at the most later we were done. They were coming to roost in that field that night from every where. My grandpa was sitting on a white 5 gallon bucket because he couldn't get down inside the pit. That was something amazing to watch. Me and buddy go to pick up the first two birds and killed the rest of our limit while standing in the middle of the pond picking up birds. My grandpa just sat their on the levee with a smile never firing a shot the whole hunt. At one point 3 teal swing over the top of my buddy and he clips all 3 in one shot. Funny thing was he never noticed. He picks up one bird and starts walking back. My grandpa hollers hey "motor mouth" you not gonna pick up ya two other birds? Epic hunt for sure. If I wasn't hooked before, I was then.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Pretty good memory from last season is smoking a grey duck that came in head on pretty high over the decoys, I didn't think id get him but ended up knockin him down and the duck came falling fast straight into the blind...had to dodge it or I woulda got smacked straight in the head
My buddy clipped a snow one time way up it came helicoptering down straight into the pit. All I could do was climb on top of my brother and hope we didnt get smoked.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,211

Not in a blind, but my brother and I were standing in wait deep mud/dead vegetation one hunt. You have to stomp a little hole around you in order to keep you balance when shooting. He complains that there is a log stuck between his feet and decides to lift it up with his boot. Well it just so happened the log turned out to be a 4 ft alligator who chose that exact spot to brummate for the winter. Kind of a tricky situation not being able to go anywhere fast with an alligator chilling underneath your manhood. Luckily it was a cold morning and the little guy was to cold to be pissed about being woken up.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Had a a spot that I hunted like that...pretty much was sitting on grass buried myself in the mud with my waders...I was hoping I wouldn't feel anything start to move underneath or around me that morning....needless to say I made a stool for the next couple hunts right there
Old 08-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,071

last year was my 5 year old grandsons first duck season so we let him kill his first teal on the water.well my 18 year old son keep shooting them before they could land and not giving grandson a shot so he says paw paw can i shot at them in air i said sure.five min later a big group comes in low and on his side i wisper pic a bird and shot not telling son they were coming.grandson pulls up 410 and shoot he knocks one down no one eles shot so i knew it was his bird.im so excited i turn around to see tears in his eyes he didnt sholder gun good and when it kicked it hit him in eye but when i told him he killed one he was so excited he tells my son thats how you suppose to kill ducks one shot one duck.everyone is laffing he tells me from now on he will shoot them out the air we dont half to let them land.that is a day i will never forget.later that season i let him shoot at a group of pintails by himself and he kills a nice bull so he has first teal being mounted first flying teal he killed being mounted and pintail.i have first one and pintail going on dead mount and each kind he kills will be added to stringer.and he wont let my son forget he can shot them out the air i created a monster.lol
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,952

For me the it used to be the hunts with the greatest action. Now its all about the kids.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
About 12 years ago my grandpa, a buddy, and I went make a afternoon hunt during teal season. We show up to blind about 5:30. Maybe 15 minutes at the most later we were done. They were coming to roost in that field that night from every where. My grandpa was sitting on a white 5 gallon bucket because he couldn't get down inside the pit. That was something amazing to watch. Me and buddy go to pick up the first two birds and killed the rest of our limit while standing in the middle of the pond picking up birds. My grandpa just sat their on the levee with a smile never firing a shot the whole hunt. At one point 3 teal swing over the top of my buddy and he clips all 3 in one shot. Funny thing was he never noticed. He picks up one bird and starts walking back. My grandpa hollers hey "motor mouth" you not gonna pick up ya two other birds? Epic hunt for sure. If I wasn't hooked before, I was then.
My favorite so far.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,783

When I was younger my grandpa and uncle hooked me on ducks and the older my grandpa got the less he came, once I could drive I decided to take him, he was in his 80's so no pit blind for him either same situation sitting on the levee on a bucket as stated earlier, well he was shooting one of the first automatics Remington ever put out, even with a 2 3/4 shells it would make you beg for mercy, well the teal were acting right and he was kinda leaning back to shoot nearly straight up and when he shot his bucket flipped him in the water, when I realized he fell I go to help him thinking he could be hurt but to my surprise he was smiling ear to ear and said I got him. Every time I hunt I think about that old man smiling laying there in 40 degree mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 08-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,454

One time I was thinking of going Duck Hunting and went Deer Hunting instead... Best experience I've ever had.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,455

When I was in high school, we were sitting in a little swamp shooting woodies and teal a few miles from my friends house. One of my boys was always clownin around trying to get a laugh out of someone. It was in the 30s that morning. My buddy was sitting on a log playing with our mess of birds that morning while it was slow. He grabbed a teal and said, "This is a beautiful duck. if I was a duck I'd hit it." So he is acting like he is hitting the duck from behind at the same time a branch on the log he was leaning on broke and he flipped off the log right into the water. One of funniest things I have ever seen.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,571

A friend and i went hunting down in Point Au Fer in the 80's, (MARSH) and we worked our way out to the blind to find out they burned the marsh a few days before. Well we flared everything and all of these ducks kept landing in another hole about 200 yards away. Being this is my buddies first time hunting, he ask me if he can try to sneak up on a flock of teal that landed in the pond. Well for shlitz and giggles i told him go for it! There was only 1 myrtle bush that hasn't burned to the ground, so he lined himself up with it and proceeded with the crouch walk with the occasional falling down! After about 30 minutes of watching him, i see him next to the myrtle and proceedes to squeeze the trigger. With two shots, he killed 5 on the water and the flock began to haul azz and his next shot downed 3 in the air. He didn't quite understand what did nor how incredible that was. The best part of the whole thing was watching him crawl out in the pond with a paddle to retrieve them all. I wouldn't let him leave till he got them all! It was a priceless moment!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Last season was my first year hunting, but it was memorable.

I joined lake chuck duck and bigchaf for a goose hunt. During a lull in the geese, Cory and I started singing "deadliest catch without the crabs.." at the exact same time and busted out laughing. Got my first limit of geese that day too.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,424

Thanks for sharing guys, I've been duck hunting for over 50 years and all of your stories bring back some similar memories for me. One of the better hunts that I ever made was during the old days of the point system. I shot 10 pintail drakes and my partner who is no longer with us shot 9 pintail drakes and a mallard drake. Don't know how much longer I can endure the cold and damp. It's y'all's turn to make some memories now. Be careful out there!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottogo49 View Post
Thanks for sharing guys, I've been duck hunting for over 50 years and all of your stories bring back some similar memories for me. One of the better hunts that I ever made was during the old days of the point system. I shot 10 pintail drakes and my partner who is no longer with us shot 9 pintail drakes and a mallard drake. Don't know how much longer I can endure the cold and damp. It's y'all's turn to make some memories now. Be careful out there!
Wow! Thanks for sharing! I bet you've seen things we will never see in our lifetimes in the blind