SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Redfish

Cash: 749

maybe Chuck Norris should help out
Old 10-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 749

i agree that hte local guys should have gotten the permits first I have a buddy that has been oystering for 15 years and didnt get a permit That aint right
Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,289

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhntr03 View Post
maybe chuck norris should help out

l m a o
Old 10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

From the news report today, Senator Moorish is crawfishing and now supports the oystermen. More info will come out in the days to come and I will be extremely disappointed if he decides to PUNK OUT.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 615

i am a local oyster fisherman from cameron and a majority of the problems is caused by people not nocking the undersized oysters off the legal oysters dwlf needed to be out more often than they were checking the right people instead of picking on the same few every time they were out
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
From the news report today, Senator Moorish is crawfishing and now supports the oystermen. More info will come out in the days to come and I will be extremely disappointed if he decides to PUNK OUT.
I wouldn't say that. I think that he realizes there may have been a better solution. Not changing the permit system as a whole but definitely researching more to accommodate the local fishermen better while still being successful at preserving the resource. This law was rushed in and lacks input from the local commercial fisherman's standpoint. I believe the idea of this is beneficial but as of right now it is not fair the way it played out.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunhntr03 View Post
maybe Chuck Norris should help out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3365_1683_chuck-norris-attorney.jpg (23.2 KB, 230 views)
Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Sand Trout

does any body know the worst thing to ever happen to commercial fishing GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-06-2011, 03:18 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn0598 View Post
does any body know the worst thing to ever happen to commercial fishing GOVERNMENT!!!!!!!!!
Do you know the worst thing that happened to big lake? Dredging
Old 10-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy726 View Post
I wouldn't say that. I think that he realizes there may have been a better solution. Not changing the permit system as a whole but definitely researching more to accommodate the local fishermen better while still being successful at preserving the resource. This law was rushed in and lacks input from the local commercial fisherman's standpoint. I believe the idea of this is beneficial but as of right now it is not fair the way it played out.
The Oyster Lobby was beneficial in making the bill what it is today so they would be the ones to protest to first IMO. Managing resources for the future does not have to put people out of business. What happened the last 3 years will put people out of business so you locals need to figure out what you want. I am all for limited permits based on the number of trip tickets from those who tonged previously. Those permits would be tied to each fisherman but able to be stripped if violations occur. Right now, the oystermen have no skin in the game. Without skin in the game the problem will never be fixed because you have no reason to fix it. 40 years ago deer hunters had no skin in the game because timber companies allowed free range on their properties. There were also very few deer because of the free for all mentality of the general hunting public. Once the timber companies started leasing, the clubs actually had skin in the game and wanted to manage the resource for the future. It has been a resounding succcess all over the united states. The answer to the problem is really not that difficult.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The Oyster Lobby was beneficial in making the bill what it is today so they would be the ones to protest to first IMO. Managing resources for the future does not have to put people out of business. What happened the last 3 years will put people out of business so you locals need to figure out what you want. I am all for limited permits based on the number of trip tickets from those who tonged previously. Those permits would be tied to each fisherman but able to be stripped if violations occur. Right now, the oystermen have no skin in the game. Without skin in the game the problem will never be fixed because you have no reason to fix it. 40 years ago deer hunters had no skin in the game because timber companies allowed free range on their properties. There were also very few deer because of the free for all mentality of the general hunting public. Once the timber companies started leasing, the clubs actually had skin in the game and wanted to manage the resource for the future. It has been a resounding succcess all over the united states. The answer to the problem is really not that difficult.
-----GREED-----
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 10-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy726 View Post
Morrish met with members of both the Cameron Oyster Task Force and the Calcasieu Oyster Task Force to help shape his bill. Oyster men who are mad need to take it up with their respective task forces.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Oyster men have zero respect for our lake.....they might have a hand full that do respect it but its a small group!

Again...violations prove this by the numbers!
Old 10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn0598 View Post
i am a local oyster fisherman from cameron and a majority of the problems is caused by people not nocking the undersized oysters off the legal oysters dwlf needed to be out more often than they were checking the right people instead of picking on the same few every time they were out
Why is always up to some one else to check on others? If people were more honest in the actions then you wouldn't need as many checks in many different facets of our lives. DWLF doesn't know who the "right people" are so they have to check everybody. If it were me, and my livelyhood depended on it, I'd make dang sure that everyone else in the sandbox knew the rules and played by em. From my perspective it seems like a simple case of greed...

Last edited by mikedatiger; 10-06-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

I bet I called WL&F on oyterboats 15 times last year...I caught 5 of them north of Yank Jon...
Old 10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKGOGETTER View Post
Oysterking=iron man i think
I don't even like oysters.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
I don't even like oysters.

: rotfl::r otfl:
Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
Fixed it

touche'
Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Sand Trout

actually dredging is not the worst thing to happen to the lake since the dredge has been allowed the reefs are bigger the worst thing is the people who do not cull their oysters right the people who sell the undersized oysters and buyers who buy them is the main problem
Old 10-06-2011, 11:11 PM
Sand Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedatiger View Post
Why is always up to some one else to check on others? If people were more honest in the actions then you wouldn't need as many checks in many different facets of our lives. DWLF doesn't know who the "right people" are so they have to check everybody. If it were me, and my livelyhood depended on it, I'd make dang sure that everyone else in the sandbox knew the rules and played by em. From my perspective it seems like a simple case of greed...
me personally i have no violations and i have told wlf who, where ,and when they went in the other lake(west cove) i was in big lake and they checked 2 boats and left or they will get out after noon when the ones who were outlawing were already gone