SaltyCajun.com http://redtunashirtclub.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckinchen View Post
Did you have a stroke or something and now this is all you can say over and over again?

If so I may have to delete your account, not trying to be heartless or anything but we can only read that so many times.
You wouldn't dare..... or would you
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,195

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
This crap was never about no kids and future man com on
...that was the scapegoat ..

The main pusher wanted 10trout 14inchs up.because he don't keep fish..
One guide service supported so they could finally catch a full limit in stead of 3-5% of the time under 25limit

Man this is not about no kids its about a very small group of guys who all or family or real close friends that started this crap

They happen to have some family money and when u line the right pockets ..you don't need facts or science
From a full disclosure standpoint that is your version of the truth. The version I heard is that the person I know that was involved wanted to see the lake stay what it is/was for decades to come and he saw the increased pressure on the lake and wanted to be proactive and do something about it.

Also the only guide service I saw on the lake that did not support the reduction was Jeff Poe and big lake guide service. It was far from one guide service that was pushing this.

This guy I know would beat you in a fish off by the way and it woudln't be close. Not that it matters or anything but I thoguht your ego could use another kick in the mid section.

I am glad to see that your computer is now working and the standard "25 or bust" no longer shows up. Now maybe you can answer some of the questions that have been asked.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8cody View Post
Im not sayin thats what it was about I just remember reading a post and that made the most srnse to me.im new to everything here in LA
I think you are very close in your thoughts on this regarding the mindset of those involved.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8cody View Post
Correct me if im wrong here but how is it greedy to "reduce" the limit? I would think greedy would be raising the limit?and as far as sportsmanship I believe it was stated in a previous post about it possibly being people reducing the limit to help preserve the population of trouts so theire kids can fish the lake and catch trout as well. to me thats being a sportsman. Not tryin to start an arguement just confused about the greed part
Sometimes the best deer management is to harvest more does because the deer are overpopulated and there is simply not enough food to feed all the hungry mouths. Old deer management thinking was to harvest only bucks and leave all the does for the benefit of the herd. When applied to overpopulated situations, this is bad management.

Preserving the trout resource ultimately means preserving the habitat and food sources on which the trout depend. Data shows that the spotted seatrout in Calcasieu estuary are thinner and growing more slowly than they were before the limit change in 2006. The most likely explanation is that there are more trout relative to their available food sources than there used to be. Spotted seatrout in the estuary used to be fatter than the statewide average. After the change in the limits, the data show they are thinner than the Louisiana average.

Some have suggested that greedy/lazy guides may have supported lowering the limits so they would only have to help clients catch 15 trout per day rather than 25 which would take considerably less time and less gas and allow them to fit in more trips in a week.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Sometimes the best deer management is to harvest more does because the deer are overpopulated and there is simply not enough food to feed all the hungry mouths. Old deer management thinking was to harvest only bucks and leave all the does for the benefit of the herd. When applied to overpopulated situations, this is bad management.

Preserving the trout resource ultimately means preserving the habitat and food sources on which the trout depend. Data shows that the spotted seatrout in Calcasieu estuary are thinner and growing more slowly than they were before the limit change in 2006. The most likely explanation is that there are more trout relative to their available food sources than there used to be. Spotted seatrout in the estuary used to be fatter than the statewide average. After the change in the limits, the data show they are thinner than the Louisiana average.

Some have suggested that greedy/lazy guides may have supported lowering the limits so they would only have to help clients catch 15 trout per day rather than 25 which would take considerably less time and less gas and allow them to fit in more trips in a week.
X2. You hit the nail on the head.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:

If those involved are guilty of anything it is not the desire to spend less gas or be required to catch fewer trout. If the decision to lower the limit was wrong (and I am not saying it is because I do not know) it was done with good intentions. I can assure you these people want what is best for the estuary from a long term perspective.

I have heard a rumor and this is strictly a rumor not from anyone I know or anyone involved in Baton Rouge that part of the desire to see the limit go down was to try and help reduce some of the pressure on the lake. The thought was that Texas fishermen may not have been as willing to drive all the way to Lake Charles for only 5 more fish than they could catch in their own water. I do not believe that theory worked but again that rumor was not from anyone that was involved.

My belief is that those that made this decsion did so becuase they saw the signfiicant increase in pressure on the lake and they were concerned about the long term future of the estuary with the increased pressure. These people like all of us I'm sure want their grandkids to enjoy fishing on big lake.

Maybe they were wrong, I personally believe that are a number of factors in play regarding big trout and we would need more data to prove that such a theory were in fact correct. All you guys can do is bring your data and concerns to the LDWLF and possibly the CCA and see how they feel.

Like I have said before if as a group you/we want to take on the Oyster harvesting issue, I would support that cause and get behind it. I am not convinced that 15 v/s 25 makes a great difference either way and I am more concerned about oysters in the lake which long term I believe is the 800lb gorilla in the room. That and how the weir system is managed.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Ling

Cash: 8,577

I dont care about 12" trout and how many i want bigggguns....this thread is pointless without any actions taken....good day mate....
Old 06-05-2012, 08:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:

Since W doesn't have an answer(because he himself turned his opinion into a fact in his mind) I will ask you. Is there any data to suggest that the limit change alone is the driving force behind the thinner, slower growing trout? Is there any data or any study at all on what implications the limit change had on the trout? Has there been any study done on what impact the over fishing of our oysters reefs have had on the trout or are we really just speculating and/or making assumptions?
How do you address the fact that most people don't catch 15 trout much less 25 trout?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:14 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchspinner View Post
I dont care about 12" trout and how many i want bigggguns....this thread is pointless without any actions taken....good day mate....
You are right about that, it was pointless 19 pages ago. All we are doing is going back down memory lane and talkign about history......
Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

Every time I go to big lake I keep 100's of trout n I own 17 oyster boats so suck it !
Old 06-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
You are right about that, it was pointless 19 pages ago. All we are doing is going back down memory lane and talkign about history......
I believe I stated that....19 pages ago.

Speakin' of trout limits......you 'bout ready to bust out them lights, Casey? My wife has promised me a couple days off.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I believe I stated that....19 pages ago.

Speakin' of trout limits......you 'bout ready to bust out them lights, Casey? My wife has promised me a couple days off.
It is about that time, just let me know when. I just got the boat back two weeks ago it is ready to go.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

We can all point a finger at something. But until something is written on paper, and pushed, nothing will happen. I believe that was the plan 19 pages ago. Sure we can say the lake is overpopulated and not enough bait, then that leads to the weirs.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Since W doesn't have an answer(because he himself turned his opinion into a fact in his mind) I will ask you. Is there any data to suggest that the limit change alone is the driving force behind the thinner, slower growing trout?
Interestingly, Louisiana recently adopted (in 2006) a spatially-explicit management plan for Calcasieu Lake. The premise of this management decision, which included a reduction in daily bag limits and imposition of a slot limit, was to ‘preserve’ the renowned trophy-fishery for spotted seatrout in Calcasieu Lake. However, the decision to enact this regulation was based exclusively on socio-economic factors, rather than the biological status of the subpopulation. In fact, no formal stock assessment was conducted as part of the decision-making process. Thus, the status of the subpopulation (stock) was largely unknown (i.e., overfished or not?) at the time regulations were changed. While perhaps setting a bad precedent for fisheries management (i.e., making a decision based purely on socioeconomic reasons), this situation affords a unique opportunity to evaluate the response of spotted seatrout to a spatially-explicit (estuarine-scale) regulations change (i.e., adaptive management, sensu Hilborn and Walters 1992).

from Callihan PhD thesis LSU 2011 p. 182

Note that this 2011 PhD dissertation not only says that the rule changes were not justified by biological considerations, it also says that the rule changes afford an opportunity to evaluate the response of the spotted seatrout population to the rule changes.

In other words, the assertion is that current assessments of the spotted seatrout population in Big Lake would be measuring the impact of lowering of the limit and slot rather than other things like hurricane Rita or oyster harvesting which have been asserted by others in the discussion as potentially confounding factors. The dissertation studies the impact of changes in salinity and meteorological effects of things like tropical storms, and yet it concludes that impact of the regulation change can be measured through standard stock assessment methods.

And this is not only the opinion of the author, Dr. Jody Callihan, as the thesis was carefully reviewed by his thesis advisor, Dr. Jim Cowan, a Professor in the Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences at LSU. Dr. Cowan is a national leader in the biology of estuarine fishes having authored dozens of papers, overseen millions in research dollars, and served on the editoral board of several prestigious fisheries journals. Dr. Callihan's PhD Dissertation was also reviewed and approved by Dr. Jaye E. Cable, now a Professor in Marine Sciences at UNC-Chapel Hill and Dr. James Geaghan, Professor and Dept. Head in the LSU Dept. of Experimental Statistics.

Quote:
Is there any data or any study at all on what implications the limit change had on the trout? Has there been any study done on what impact the over fishing of our oysters reefs have had on the trout or are we really just speculating and/or making assumptions?
The observation that there are too many spotted sea trout relative to their available food sources is much firmer than the assignment of a definitive cause. The biologists above seem to think that the limit change would have the greater impact on results of stock assessments after the limit change. Some contributors in this discussion think the oysters and tropical storms need to be considered as well.

With respect to whether or not it is a wise idea to change the limits back to 25, the cause(s) of the decline in average body condition and growth rates are not particularly important. Thinning the herd so there are less trout relative to their food supply is a sound management strategy given the fact that there are currently too many trout relative to the available food.

Quote:
How do you address the fact that most people don't catch 15 trout much less 25 trout?
The majority of fish are caught by the minority of anglers. If raising the limit to 25 doesn't bring the population under control sufficiently to restore historical growth rates and fatness of trout in the estuary, then further steps can be considered.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
From a full disclosure standpoint that is your version of the truth. The version I heard is that the person I know that was involved wanted to see the lake stay what it is/was for decades to come and he saw the increased pressure on the lake and wanted to be proactive and do something about it.

Also the only guide service I saw on the lake that did not support the reduction was Jeff Poe and big lake guide service. It was far from one guide service that was pushing this.

This guy I know would beat you in a fish off by the way and it wouldn't be close. Not that it matters or anything but I thought your ego could use another kick in the mid section.

I am glad to see that your computer is now working and the standard "25 or bust" no longer shows up. Now maybe you can answer some of the questions that have been asked.
I tell u what Casey come down to Hebert landing @5am and walk down the boat stalls and ask how many supported the 15trout limit
Old 06-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Quote:
I tell u what Casey come down to Hebert landing @5am and walk down the boat stalls and ask how many supported the 15trout limit
Sure.

Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
Interestingly, Louisiana recently adopted (in 2006) a spatially-explicit management plan for Calcasieu Lake. The premise of this management decision, which included a reduction in daily bag limits and imposition of a slot limit, was to ‘preserve’ the renowned trophy-fishery for spotted seatrout in Calcasieu Lake. However, the decision to enact this regulation was based exclusively on socio-economic factors, rather than the biological status of the subpopulation. In fact, no formal stock assessment was conducted as part of the decision-making process. Thus, the status of the subpopulation (stock) was largely unknown (i.e., overfished or not?) at the time regulations were changed. While perhaps setting a bad precedent for fisheries management (i.e., making a decision based purely on socioeconomic reasons), this situation affords a unique opportunity to evaluate the response of spotted seatrout to a spatially-explicit (estuarine-scale) regulations change (i.e., adaptive management, sensu Hilborn and Walters 1992).

from Callihan PhD thesis LSU 2011 p. 182

Note that this 2011 PhD dissertation not only says that the rule changes were not justified by biological considerations, it also says that the rule changes afford an opportunity to evaluate the response of the spotted seatrout population to the rule changes.

In other words, the assertion is that current assessments of the spotted seatrout population in Big Lake would be measuring the impact of lowering of the limit and slot rather than other things like hurricane Rita or oyster harvesting which have been asserted by others in the discussion as potentially confounding factors. The dissertation studies the impact of changes in salinity and meteorological effects of things like tropical storms, and yet it concludes that impact of the regulation change can be measured through standard stock assessment methods.

And this is not only the opinion of the author, Dr. Jody Callihan, as the thesis was carefully reviewed by his thesis advisor, Dr. Jim Cowan, a Professor in the Department of Oceanography and Coastal Sciences at LSU. Dr. Cowan is a national leader in the biology of estuarine fishes having authored dozens of papers, overseen millions in research dollars, and served on the editoral board of several prestigious fisheries journals. Dr. Callihan's PhD Dissertation was also reviewed and approved by Dr. Jaye E. Cable, now a Professor in Marine Sciences at UNC-Chapel Hill and Dr. James Geaghan, Professor and Dept. Head in the LSU Dept. of Experimental Statistics.

The observation that there are too many spotted sea trout relative to their available food sources is much firmer than the assignment of a definitive cause. The biologists above seem to think that the limit change would have the greater impact on results of stock assessments after the limit change. Some contributors in this discussion think the oysters and tropical storms need to be considered as well.

With respect to whether or not it is a wise idea to change the limits back to 25, the cause(s) of the decline in average body condition and growth rates are not particularly important. Thinning the herd so there are less trout relative to their food supply is a sound management strategy given the fact that there are currently too many trout relative to the available food.

The majority of fish are caught by the minority of anglers. If raising the limit to 25 doesn't bring the population under control sufficiently to restore historical growth rates and fatness of trout in the estuary, then further steps can be considered.

I'm glad you took the time
..if he was that lazy to read back at all the facts ,, I just ignore those
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Do you know how much sleep I could get if it weren't for all this back and forth mess??? I would just hate to miss anything.

25 or bust
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Seems like it is about time to close this thread, the horse is dead. Most agree there was no study or true science involved in the reduction. The group is split on rather or not they should go back now and try to do something about it. Salty Cajun will only fight the oyster issue or weir management so I think we are done here unless you guys want to continue for 20 more pages which is fine as well. Those that want to do something about it will follow W to Baton Rouge and the rest of us will work in our office or at least be office fishermen and see how it goes.

Hopefuly W's political connection Dan Morrish his "family friend" does not take a stand on this against the increase or those of your following W will find yourselves alone on the front line. If history is an indicator he will do a 180 like he did on the oyster issue and fight against you guys. Of course he will never admit he changed sides, you just have to figure that out yourselves. Oh and let's not forget he is better than 99% of you, and you guys have no voice becuase you do not fish 15 or more days per month, not my words those are his, I think that covers it.

Thanks everyone for your contributions.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
I'm glad you took the time
..if he was that lazy to read back at all the facts ,, I just ignore those
You're a funny little man. So there is no biological data, just opinions of the biologists.