SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749
Default 1990 18' Kenner

Thinking about buying an 18' Kenner from a guy near my house. He let me take it to my shop last week to go through and check it all out, it had been sitting for a couple years. It has around early '90's 140 Johnson VRO, vro has been taken off and replaced with a regular vacuum fuel pump. I cleaned the carb's real good, checked the compression and put new plugs, fuel and water serperator filter. Ran it but had some trouble with the idle and putting in gear and dying out. Went over it again and found a broken o-ring in the fuel pump, it needs a rebuild for sure, and played with the idle timing and got it to run real good. The boat still has some of the old carpet in it and a small soft spot in front of the console. I brought it back to him after having it for a week and told him I'd let him know, he said it wasn't going anywhere. What to you think guy's worth 1500$??? Mostly the boat just needs alot of TLC, the most money will be trolling motor and GPS. I think this will make me a good beginner bay boat.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

man thats a good deal 1500 but if its not going anywhere just take it fishing and give the guy that owns the boat a few fish from time to time he might just give it to u.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Red Snapper

that does sound good but I cant see my self spending that much money on it and not be mine, I figure im doing all the work on it and should be able to make it nice for a couple g's max. Wasnt gonna put carpet back in it just put rubberized coating on the floor after the repairs. I would like to hear some input on different materials any of you guys recomend for floor coatings, Ive looked at some but would like to hear some opinions also..
Old 07-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I think for 1500 its a good deal. Especially if it runs and has clean papers. A rebuild on that motor won't be to expensive, but they are real gas hogs. .....once they're right tho, its a real dependable motor........small soft spot isn't That hard to fix. You Can do it yourself for about 50 bucks worth of material......if you've never had a boat before, hen yes this would be a good one to start with..got ant pics???
Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

i think spectator just put some floors down in his boat that looked pretty sweet dont know what they are called but he has a pic of them in another post. sorry it was raymond that just put the floor in his boat check it out under this post
Old 07-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Red Snapper

no I didnt take any pics of the boat...I was thinking of stripping out the rest of the carpet that hadn't blown out yet, repair the floor and put a roll on rubberized coating or spray in???
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Hydro turf is good and you can buy locally. Safe-Floor is also good but you have to travel to Kemah Tx for the install. I personally would stay away from any spray liner,it is slick when wet and doesn't last.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Sounds worth it to me. After you fix it up you will have a nice rig for cheap,the boat dont catch the fish! As far as the flooring goes you could go with the hydro turf. I bought some non skid liner from cabelas to redo a old boat,came out pretty good and had nice grip.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Great White

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...p.form1&Go.x=0
Old 07-16-2010, 10:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

If you trying to fish on budget that 140 will drink you out of house and home at the pump. I just gave my bass boat to my brother in law, it had a 91 Johnson 120, that would guzzle gas. Good luck with it. BTW, i would offer him 1,000 and see what he says.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:16 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
If you trying to fish on budget that 140 will drink you out of house and home at the pump. I just gave my bass boat to my brother in law, it had a 91 Johnson 120, that would guzzle gas. Good luck with it. BTW, i would offer him 1,000 and see what he says.
If you run them 3500-4000rpms they will get about 3mpg,alot more over that.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:16 AM
Red Snapper

with the prop that it has, which is to small, it will run 43mph but turning 6400rpms...I would back it down to around 5800rpms and the motor sound's real smooth and it was running about 38mph at about 3/4 throttle...wonder if it would be better to leave it like this or step up a couple pitches??? Maybe its better like this because it doesnt lug the motor, I believe I can go up at least 1 or 2 pitches and it should still have plenty power, this thing gets out the hole pretty quick you just have to back out the throttle not to over rev it?? what yall think leave it or change props??
Old 07-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I wouldn't do a thing to it till it was mine.......
Old 07-17-2010, 09:35 AM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsc View Post
with the prop that it has, which is to small, it will run 43mph but turning 6400rpms...I would back it down to around 5800rpms and the motor sound's real smooth and it was running about 38mph at about 3/4 throttle...wonder if it would be better to leave it like this or step up a couple pitches??? Maybe its better like this because it doesnt lug the motor, I believe I can go up at least 1 or 2 pitches and it should still have plenty power, this thing gets out the hole pretty quick you just have to back out the throttle not to over rev it?? what yall think leave it or change props??
Is it a aluminum prop or stainless? For your information for every degree you go up/down you will gain/loose 200rpms. 6400 is way to high,needs to be around 5500.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Red Snapper

oh yeah...im just thinking ahead, im most likely gonna go pay for it when I get back in from work, just throwin some ideas out there for feedback...Ive been doing alot of reading up on this style motor, pros & cons, and tips and tricks for making this a dependable motor...I have some older small johnsons that run perfect and have had a couple yamaha's, still have 1 yammy. I like my yamaha but have had some good things and bad things about this 140 johnson...just debaiting on what to do, I dont want a motor that I cant depend on to go anywhere!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:41 AM
Red Snapper

yea ive went through changing props with my lil 15' fishing and huntin boat...I was thinking I could go up at least 2 pitches...it is a stainless, not real sure but I think he said 19 pitch, if so a 21 should do it some good, and I didnt sit there and run it at 6400rpms, just seen how much it would go to at full throttle for just a second..
Old 07-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldsc View Post
oh yeah...im just thinking ahead, im most likely gonna go pay for it when I get back in from work, just throwin some ideas out there for feedback...Ive been doing alot of reading up on this style motor, pros & cons, and tips and tricks for making this a dependable motor...I have some older small johnsons that run perfect and have had a couple yamaha's, still have 1 yammy. I like my yamaha but have had some good things and bad things about this 140 johnson...just debaiting on what to do, I dont want a motor that I cant depend on to go anywhere!!!
For that price....if the motor runs...it's a good buy.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

if ya decide you don't want it..I would like to take a look at it..i'm in jennings..
Old 07-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Red Snapper

I've pretty got my mind made up to go pick it up as soon as I get in...Im waiting for my old car to sell first, got somebody looking to buy it right now, its right outside of town back towards evangeline...but he's not advertising it at the road or anything, he's holding it for me...But if I do back out ill throw on here..where you at in jennings, I live back by the evangeline elementry school in the bluff loop..
Old 07-24-2010, 04:22 PM
Red Snapper

The wife just told me she's going pay the guy for the kenner today..gonna add a cc boat to my collection of aluminum boats when I get in..Cant wait to get started working on it!!!!