SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 608
Default 2 stroke 25hp tohatsu problems

I have a 2004 2 stroke 25 hp tohatsu that had been running great all spring then one day when running to go catfishing it just flat gave out on me. Was running full throttle and it just killed, there was no slow down and die like it was running out of fuel, just a hard kill like the kill switched was pulled. After it killed I was able to get it started at it rev'ed up in neutral but it would only let me idle in gear for a little while then kill hard again.

I went by the mechanic and got the engine's compression checked and they both had full compression. After checking that the mechanic told me he believed it was overheating and to change the water pump and thermostat. Well after doing all that it got better I was able to get on step again but only for about 10 seconds and it killed hard just like the first time.

I don't know what it could possibly be but the mechanic still thinks it could be a cooling issue. I was wondering what the boards opinion is on this debacle and if anyone could give me any suggestions on what to try next.

P.S. the gas has the correct oil mixture and the lower unit has oil but hasn't been changed in about 6 months.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

Maybe the woodruff key on the flywheel got sheared off, causing the timing to miss.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:16 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

Maybe fuel pump? My motor did the same thing. It's an older motor and the ethanol fuel hardened the fuel pump diaphragm. Would pump good enough to idle and a little more after that it would not handle it and kill. Not familiar with your engine. Just a thought.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 AM
Redfish

Cash: 703

I have to agree with the fuel pump. Especially if you're running ethanol gas. Also might consider looking into some new connections on the motor and tank as well as a new fuel line.