SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 08-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726
Default Is your boat safe?

Many people like to use their own boat to go out for tuna. This has come up lately and there has been a lot of discussion as to what to have.

A single engine boat is NOT desirable offshore. I have been to Ryan's and Jenny's horn off Montauk and Elf off Venice. Nothing happened but not very smart. If something happens you can not just drop the anchor. I carry 600 feet of anchor line but that does not help in tuna country. We all loose an engine or lower unit offshore. If you have not, your time is coming! With a single you are at the mercy of the currents. There may not be a boat in the area and if he is he may not be on your channel for assistance. One of my first trips on another boat (not for tuna) just rig fishing had his radio in a shoe box in the electric box overhead and had no way of connecting it. Be sure you have a good VHF. I have 2 on mine and not the cheap ones either. Most of the private boats are not used as much and when they bring them down they have fuel problems due to long storage times. Setting up in some places will also cause moisture or heat issues adding to connection corrosion or water in fuel issues that will show up when you put it in the water. Fuel capacity and range has to be considered also. Do not push the 1/3 1/3 1/3 rule.

Besides those electrical issues there are the electronics you have on the boat. Radar is not a must but if you are in Venice in the winter you had better consider it. I am looking to add it to my bay boat. We have serious fog issues here. Aside from that when you go offshore you have to be sure to get in before dark so you can navigate the channels back to the marina. A GPS does not show you anything in front of you in poor visibility conditions. While on the GPS issue there have been people that have come down here with a chart chip for another area other than this one so the GPS was of no help other than track.

Most of the boats to 25 feet only have fish boxes for bottom fishing and do not have the fish box for a good size tuna. I was on one recently and a 60 pound amberjack had to be stuffed into the biggest fish box on the boat. If you get a 40 to 70 pound tuna you might fit it in but you can not pick your catch. When you get lucky and land a large tuna you will only spoil it because of no place to put it and not enough ice to keep it cold. A 150 qt. cooler will not do and takes up all the space in a small boat. The people can not move around properly or safely in order to get the fishing done right. Crowded conditions only ask for things to happen.

Other equipment-----------
Your terminal tackle also has to be considered. Most people that have smaller boats do not have the proper fishing gear or enough of it to make a solid trip. Smaller reels loaded with 80 pound mono that does not hold enough for a good tuna run or does not have the drag capability to slow down a good sized tuna, Even on private boats bottom fishing they have had to use my gear because the equipment they had could not do the job. The average person with a small boat usually does not have the proper terminal tackle to equip the entire boat for a successful offshore trip even if it had 2 motors.

The overall seaworthiness of the boat has to be taken into consideration. It can be flat calm and a storm can pop up. Will your boat be able to handle 3-4 foot chop and high wind gusts to 30 mph? These storms are common here. If you have to run an extra 10 - 15 miles out of your way will you have enough fuel to make it back in? Do your pumps operate well enough to get rid of the water that has splashed over the sides or even worse the front or back of your boat? With the technology we have a personal safety beacon should be a minimum on the boat.

Not a plug but almost a must! You should have Sea Tow or Tow Boats US if you have any intention of going boating anywhere else than the local pond,

I have run on private boats for several years and have seen many of these issues come up. It is because of the many things I have seen that I am considering no longer going out on private boats and just sticking to chartering my own boats both inshore and offshore. Another factor is once you go out with me you know enough to go alone and I am no longer used. From there on you can expand your knowledge on your own. I have soon seen several of them taking potential customers. One down here does it so much another captain has accused him of running charters without a license. We are watching him close and I hope he does not do that because it will be hell to pay for him. We will turn him over to the authorities in pieces.

I am sure others will add to this.

Think Smart and Stay Safe!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Nice post
Old 08-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

i like to carry a whistle just in case, better safe than sorry....

ha just messing... very good post here. lots of good points. i love seeing the boats take off with 1 engine going 30 miles outs. relying on a cell phone signal. glad you mentioned the currents, most dont understand how far theyll take you. most people dont have the proper tackle because they cant afford $1,000-$1,500 for each rod and reel setup. everyone has heard horror stories of people breaking down or sinking out there and its crazy to think how many people still go at it like they wont be the one that itll happen to, but thats exactly what the last guy thought too.

having a buddy boat is the way to go if you have a single engine boat. at least you can be towed back without any doubt.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 471

Good post and add a couple things like up to date flares and signaling devices, good fire extinguishers and if you do have a single engine as I do I run a 25 hp Extra Long shaft motor in case the Optimax fails. I am used to fishing off the coast in Washington state where the waves (rollers) can get dang high and short wind chop to boot. I did have to motor in about 40 miles on the 25 hp and took forever but better than NO other engine. Also when the weather does turn to crap and not sure of your self then try to rely on the most experienced boater on board. I have had many backseat boat drivers when things have turned to hell in a hurry and if it was them in their boat I know for sure they would have all perished....know your boat, equipment, people on board and know your VHF radio(s) work and contact the coast guard with he best location possible. I always do a radio check with the coast guard to make sure both radios are working. This is the best fishing forum I have found and great for me since I moved back to Louisiana after 40 plus years! Keep up the good work and information flow!!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Buy this! And get found!

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=100