SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043
Default Salty bass boat?

I knew this would happen. Ended up buying a bass boat during pre-spawn, and was so glad I decided not to get a bay. Well, now I'm pretty much over the green trout for the year and I wanna win all them boats n sh%* yall passing up on in the STAR lol. Is it a really bad idea to put it in salt, or is there enough preventative and maintenance steps I can take to see no long term effects on my boat and trailer? Thanks for the help
Old 05-30-2014, 04:25 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,832

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I knew this would happen. Ended up buying a bass boat during pre-spawn, and was so glad I decided not to get a bay. Well, now I'm pretty much over the green trout for the year and I wanna win all them boats n sh%* yall passing up on in the STAR lol. Is it a really bad idea to put it in salt, or is there enough preventative and maintenance steps I can take to see no long term effects on my boat and trailer? Thanks for the help
It's the trailers that I have seen fall too pieces. If it's a painted trailer, it will rot out in a few years. But between now and then gives you time to save up for an aluminum or galvanized trailer.

If your trailer is already one of the above, you are good to go.

As far as the boat, I think they hold up well in Saltwater. Just keep it clean and hinges, etc.... Lubed up.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:50 PM
Tripletail

Yea the trailer is what I was mainly worried about. It is a painted trailer. Didn't know if there was some sort of product I could put on it or wash it off with that would help
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

Rinse it as soon as you can after you get home. We fished out of a 18' javelin for a few years. Necer had issues.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:20 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Yea the trailer is what I was mainly worried about. It is a painted trailer. Didn't know if there was some sort of product I could put on it or wash it off with that would help
I think washing it is the key, the salt water dries on it at the launch so when you get home crawl up under there and wash everything you can with fresh soapy water to get that salt off and that will be the best thing to make it last the longest. its a PITA though so most people don't bother and that's why they get so rusty.

I also don't think they do the best job when painting the trailers after they make em so there are spots that don't get much paint.

just keep it in mind to crawl under there and treat any rust you do find quickly and clean it to fresh metal and repaint that spot. it just involves a routine of steady maint. and it should last you a long time.

to be honest if its still new or in great shape I would sell it and go buy an aluminum or galvanized trailer for it so you have less things to worry about.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,119

Go to a fresh water launch on the way home and back the trailer in and run the motor. Kill two birds with one stone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsx750f2000 View Post
Go to a fresh water launch on the way home and back the trailer in and run the motor. Kill two birds with one stone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X2!!

Damn smart fella. That's what I do.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,142
Default salty bass boat

Do you have a channel iron trailer or made out of box tubing? Buy you a intercoastal or crossover Stratos and Triton made a few years back. This is like mine but is located in Hardin, Tx I don't know why they have a freshwater troll motor but maybe he only fishes freshwater.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tx hardin.jpg (97.9 KB, 541 views)
Old 05-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbert Chamblee View Post
Do you have a channel iron trailer or made out of box tubing? Buy you a intercoastal or crossover Stratos and Triton made a few years back. This is like mine but is located in Hardin, Tx I don't know why they have a freshwater troll motor but maybe he only fishes freshwater.
i think Ranger is making a crossover to now.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

WD-40...........on everything that rust......AFTER you hose it down in fresh water......

Cheap Vinagar as well.....white vinegar sprayed on things will work to actually kill rust
Old 05-30-2014, 08:29 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,051

I have a gav. trailer and bass boat put it in saltwater every now and then. Wash it down and flush the motor. I've never had problems, but like others said it's the painted trailers that will go. But I love my bass boat when fishing bass, sacs, and bream in the basin. Just have to keep an eye on the weather.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Go get a 5 gallon bucket of fluid film liquid A!
It's used to lubricate and keep metals frome rusting in the commercial marine industries!
Old 05-30-2014, 11:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -514

I wonder would a zink or electro barrier help with this. They use um on containers to prevent rust .
Old 05-31-2014, 05:09 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 507

I bought a 2 year old triton from a guy years ago a bell should have went off when he told me he was selling to buy a bay boat. Well to make a long story short by the time it was 5 years old I could stick my finger thru spots in he trailor. Good luck. Besides I thought the only reason people inland saltwater fished was because they couldn't catch bass!! Lol
Old 05-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Flounder

Cash: 755

I used to be a die hard bass fisherman until my partner took me to the marsh a couple of times in his bay boat. After about two trips I knew I was done with bass fishing and started looking at my options for fishing the marsh. I had a Ranger bass boat at the time and I called and spoke with Ranger and they told me that their saltwater rigs had a number of things that the freshwater boats didn't. Different wiring, stainless fittings, aluminum trailers, etc. I decided it was not worth it to use my bass boat regularly in saltwater. My research confirms everything everyone else is telling you. If your trailer is not galvanized or aluminum I don't think you can keep it from rusting out in time. Any metal that is not stainless will likely rust out unless your are ultra careful with your cleaning. If your trailer has leaf springs be prepared to replace them in time. There is no way you can get the salt out of them. I still wanted to do a little freshwater fishing so I ended up buying a Ranger Intercoastal which has the design of a bass boat but it is rigged for saltwater. Now, I have always been pretty OCD about caring for my boat, and I really wanted a foot control trolling motor so I ordered my Ranger with a Motor Guide freshwater series trolling motor since no one at that time had a saltwater troller with foot control steering. I figured that with the care I give my boat the trolling motor would be fine. Wrong. Within 2 years I already had rust showing up on the troller.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is if you are going to be fishing saltwater you really need to look into a saltwater rig. You will save lots of money and your upkeep will be much lower than using your boat in saltwater.

Good luck with your decision.

Charlie
Old 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 557

I fish both in mine. Half the cost of the Intercoastal. Trolling motor is freshwater for cable foot control. When (not if) it corrodes I will buy another.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 350 views)
Old 06-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Redfish

Cash: 861

Launch at prien and run to big lake. Easy cruise speed is still only 15 minutes and the water 'usually' has a lower salinity level. It could mean 5 more years on your trailer. Take it by the car wash on the way home and it will last long enough.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have launched several times in a different bass rig at BOB on sabine and ran down to the lake before. As far as I know there is still no rust or any other problems on the boat or trailer. Might just try and launch at prien and hope for the best. Or if anyone likes giving flounder away that will just solve my whole problem there and I wont go lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desadier View Post
I fish both in mine. Half the cost of the Intercoastal. Trolling motor is freshwater for cable foot control. When (not if) it corrodes I will buy another.
And thats a sweet rig there. Do you ever go sight fishing for bass in the spring out of it? And yea, I'll prolly never own anything as nice as those ranger intracoastals. But i've built 100 or so online lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:44 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratdog View Post
I wonder would a zink or electro barrier help with this. They use um on containers to prevent rust .
Good question here.. Any responders?