SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 08-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,425
Default Sabine River 8/19/2016

I made a short trip out on the sabine friday. Only caught a few (we'll call it a scouting mission...). Mini buzz bait and speed craw were what worked for me. I have a posted a video of my trip on my youtube channel here:

https://youtu.be/23pDR4nWsvA
Old 08-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 3,210

Cool video. Where'd you get the music?
I've just been getting into flipping lately and I've gotta give props to your accuracy with lure placement.
What length rod do you use? I've been looking at an 8' heavy w/ retractable butt from BPS.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:40 PM
Flounder

Cash: 630

Thanks for the video....I went explore this past weekend myself! Only caught 4....all on main river with white and chartreuse spinner baits!
Old 08-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

that was definitely a cool video, nice music and enjoyed watching you fish when fast forwarded
Old 08-22-2016, 05:37 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

Nice video !
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Boo View Post
Cool video. Where'd you get the music?
I've just been getting into flipping lately and I've gotta give props to your accuracy with lure placement.
What length rod do you use? I've been looking at an 8' heavy w/ retractable butt from BPS.
The music came from Incompetech.com, it's setup for royalty free use on youtube videos and has all the necessary disclaimers and numbers (listed in the credits of my video and in the description)

Lol, thanks. If I'm out in the yard watching the kids play, I'm pitching something into a puddle or a bucket.

I pitch all my baits with all my rods except weightless or small plastics (4" lizards) I have to roll cast or side cast those. I have all the way from 6'-6" to 7'-6" rods and I pitch with them all . The one in the video is a 7" Duckett Micro Magic MHVY.

I only cast if I'm not aiming for specific cover above the water but for structure under the surface (points, submerged grass, etc...)
Old 08-22-2016, 09:11 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B. View Post
Thanks for the video....I went explore this past weekend myself! Only caught 4....all on main river with white and chartreuse spinner baits!
Thank You For Watching ! I'm not great at it yet but I really enjoy doing it. I have lots of ideas for what I think will be interesting videos.

You fished the main river on Sabine ?
Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
that was definitely a cool video, nice music and enjoyed watching you fish when fast forwarded
Thank You !

I really like watching the fast forwarded casting and buzz baits too ! It's hard for me cut out all of the footage but the video would be waay to long ! I really like the sped up boat ride footage as well.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro View Post
Nice video !
Thank You !
Old 08-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Flounder

Cash: 630

I tried my hand at making a few but it seems like the fish only bite when the camera isn't rolling. .....lol! I fished some around the launch in orange then ran north from there! I fished that same lay down you stopped at on the right side of the river! It looked awesome for sure. I just ran around hitting all the spots that looked fishy. Didn't do good in any of the cuts just lay downs on the main river. All my fish were caught north of i10.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:11 PM
Tripletail

It's cool to share info. I enjoy doing it too. Thank y'all.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

What's the secret to flipping? Have tried but can't make the line come off the reel fast enuf and the bait doesn't go very far?
Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
What's the secret to flipping? Have tried but can't make the line come off the reel fast enuf and the bait doesn't go very far?
I typically "pitch" everything. That's just using the pendulum action of the bait and dropping the rod tip then raising it to build up energy to strip line.

"Flipping" is pulling line with your left hand and basically setting the bait no more than a rod's length away from you. Hence the "flipping stick" rods that are 8ft long. I never do this.

If the bait/weight isn't heavy (3/16oz weight + a plastic) it's pretty difficult for me as well and I'll use a spinning rod to pitch.

For me, I release all of the braking systems on my reel (will produce a good birdnest if you don't manage the spool). Hold the bait in my left hand, aim the rod tip at the water then let go of the bait and raise my rod at the same time. If you thumb the spool while the bait is getting there you can put it in the water with very little splash. The pendulum action is the most important, you need to impart as much energy as you can during the swing and release it at the right moment to get the most distance. I still throw one straight up or smack the gunwale all of the time.

Pitching will build up a lot of slack in the line on your spool and it's important to make a long cast every now and then to re-tension the line on your spool.

For heavier baits (like big spinners or beaver styles) once you've done it for a while you won't even need to put it in your other hand to release it and then you don't have to switch hands before you engage your reel.

A good quality reel is important, I use Lew's Tourney Pro's and 13 Fishing Concept A's. Both of these are very free when the brakes are turned off. I always make sure to crank the brake back up if I'm going to make a cast.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:08 AM
Tripletail

I seem to gravitate toward flipping, and feel like I suck at pitching.
Just ordered a heavy 7'6" BPS Tourney Special w/ retractable butt. I'm gonna outfit it with my Lew's Tournament Lazer w/ 7.1:1 gear ratio.
Swampcritter, one day I'll get with you and write/ record a personalized theme song for your videos. We can tailor it to make it how you want it (style, tempo, heavy, goofy, whatever).
I like to record stuff.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcritterr View Post
Thank You !

I really like watching the fast forwarded casting and buzz baits too ! It's hard for me cut out all of the footage but the video would be waay to long ! I really like the sped up boat ride footage as well.

What program do you edit with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2016, 10:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampcritterr View Post
I typically "pitch" everything. That's just using the pendulum action of the bait and dropping the rod tip then raising it to build up energy to strip line.

"Flipping" is pulling line with your left hand and basically setting the bait no more than a rod's length away from you. Hence the "flipping stick" rods that are 8ft long. I never do this.

If the bait/weight isn't heavy (3/16oz weight + a plastic) it's pretty difficult for me as well and I'll use a spinning rod to pitch.

For me, I release all of the braking systems on my reel (will produce a good birdnest if you don't manage the spool). Hold the bait in my left hand, aim the rod tip at the water then let go of the bait and raise my rod at the same time. If you thumb the spool while the bait is getting there you can put it in the water with very little splash. The pendulum action is the most important, you need to impart as much energy as you can during the swing and release it at the right moment to get the most distance. I still throw one straight up or smack the gunwale all of the time.

Pitching will build up a lot of slack in the line on your spool and it's important to make a long cast every now and then to re-tension the line on your spool.

For heavier baits (like big spinners or beaver styles) once you've done it for a while you won't even need to put it in your other hand to release it and then you don't have to switch hands before you engage your reel.

A good quality reel is important, I use Lew's Tourney Pro's and 13 Fishing Concept A's. Both of these are very free when the brakes are turned off. I always make sure to crank the brake back up if I'm going to make a cast.

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGcoreg View Post
What program do you edit with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Adobe Premier Elements. I just bought it so I'm still figuring it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk