SaltyCajun.com http://k2-coolers.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Who Fishes for Snapper out of a Bay Boat?

In the market for a new boat. Most fishing will be inshore, but I really want to go offshore for snapper, both red snapper and mangroves. How many of you guys fish offshore in a bay boat? How many have done it and won't do it again? Any real bad experiences?

Dan
Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Damn bro how many treads you gunna make about the same topic....buy a bay boat for inshore fishing and charter a guide to go offshore. Roll the dice enough and you will get bit by the mighty GOM. I have been there before and it was no fun,literally kissed the ground when I got on dry land. Biggest issue is only having one engine,even brand new ones can break.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,242

I went in my bay boat to Venice. Only had to go a few miles out the pass to catch snapper. Still have to keep a close eye on the weather. I stayed nervous the whole time I was out there.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:35 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I've been 45 out several times in a bay boat. Have several friends that go in bay boats. One thing I like anytime I go with a one engine rig is to have buddy boats just incase. Watch weather all week and up to the time you leave. Have good VHF pfds and epurb is good investment also. Personally I wouldn't go out in anything under 21'. Just me. The gulf can make a 30' boat look like an alweld.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

I do it but if it looks sloppy when i make it out the pass i just inshore fish or go home . Im prepared to walk away even if i drove 3 hrs to venice. Good vhf, lifevests, spot or other epirb, buddy boat is good . 24' and im talking 30 miles or less out .
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Well, I think this is the second post about the same topic and not quite the same....just asking how many folks do it on a regular basis so I can get an idea. Sorry I pizzed you off man, just trying to make the right decision.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:52 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Haha didnt piss me off....good luck
Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,316

im not gonna tell you to go OFFSHORE in a BAYboat. i do it from time to time but i trust my own judgement , and dont know you. things can happen real quick out there if you make sure you have a plan ( oh sh** bag with epirb, lifvests, water, vhf, flares ect) enough gas , buddy boat, weather radio , know your boat inside and out then you will lessen the blow if something does happen , but in the end its a day by day decision that has to be made when you see how the water looks not by what a website says
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Watched a 24' Champion handle 25 miles like a champ this weekend...Some crazy texans strapped to it though! Lol!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:56 PM
Great White

Cash: 17,285

Get a Hiney......they can take 4-6 foot waves with no problem from what I have been told on this site..........
Old 06-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
im not gonna tell you to go OFFSHORE in a BAYboat. i do it from time to time but i trust my own judgement , and dont know you. things can happen real quick out there if you make sure you have a plan ( oh sh** bag with epirb, lifvests, water, vhf, flares ect) enough gas , buddy boat, weather radio , know your boat inside and out then you will lessen the blow if something does happen , but in the end its a day by day decision that has to be made when you see how the water looks not by what a website says
^^^. Sound advise here. I have ran out 10 miles and turned around several times. In an offshore boat. Wouldn't have even tried in a bayboat. Start out short. Run 15 miles a few times. Get to know the area. Get to know the rigs around the area you fish. Get to where you get familiar with it then ease out a little bit. Trim tabs are a must also.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
^^^. Sound advise here. I have ran out 10 miles and turned around several times. In an offshore boat. Wouldn't have even tried in a bayboat. Start out short. Run 15 miles a few times. Get to know the area. Get to know the rigs around the area you fish. Get to where you get familiar with it then ease out a little bit. Trim tabs are a must also.
X2.
If you don't have much experience offshore start off with short runs. Remember the gulf could swallow you whole at any time and don't forget it.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,604

Quote:
Originally Posted by all star rod View Post
Get a Hiney......they can take 4-6 foot waves with no problem from what I have been told on this site..........
Duh!!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,573

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyShaw View Post
Duh!!
Tell them Big Shaw Dogg
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Just so everyone knows, epirbs can be rented online. Also in my ditch bag I carried water, glow sticks, sunscreen, vhf, and hand held gps. Gps is waterproof and floats. VHF is also waterproof. I also carried spare batteries for GPS and spare battery pack for VHF. I figured if we could talk to someone via vhf, we could tell em exactly where we were via hand held gps.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Just so everyone knows, epirbs can be rented online. Also in my ditch bag I carried water, glow sticks, sunscreen, vhf, and hand held gps. Gps is waterproof and floats. VHF is also waterproof. I also carried spare batteries for GPS and spare battery pack for VHF. I figured if we could talk to someone via vhf, we could tell em exactly where we were via hand held gps.
Sounds like you have everything thought out, but my question to you is this; Why put yourself in a situation where it's very likley you will need those emergency items? Try a few short runs with sombody who does it in their bay boat and if you feel you like offshore fishing more, get an offshore boat and save yourself and your family the trouble.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Sounds like you have everything thought out, but my question to you is this; Why put yourself in a situation where it's very likley you will need those emergency items? Try a few short runs with sombody who does it in their bay boat and if you feel you like offshore fishing more, get an offshore boat and save yourself and your family the trouble.
This was on an offshore boat 100 miles or more offshore. Does it really matter if you are 100 or 15 miles offshore? Once you're in the drink you still need help! Why not be proactive?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Yep
Old 06-05-2012, 10:26 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
This was on an offshore boat 100 miles or more offshore. Does it really matter if you are 100 or 15 miles offshore? Once you're in the drink you still need help! Why not be proactive?
X2. Always be a boy scout out there.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post

He's not the one that asked the original question.