SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 603

Hunting fool glad to here that your family interested in the Science fair. I myself won the ISEF overall award when I was in highschool. 1991 in Orlando Florida and Second place overall 1992 in San Juan Puerto Rico (lost to a guy who developed SPF sunscreen to put into outdoor paint to make it last longer). Ole Hackberry Hustler can confirm that for ya if you dont believe me. I developed various ground covers to grow commerical crops through. Mainly tomatos was the concentration of my research. Its most common around sw louisiana when watermelon planting. But in Florida and California they plant commerical grade tomatos on various ground covers that I developed and tested for overall yield in various weather conditions and overall climates. And your right it easily pays for college as well as puts a little cash in the pocket when you develop a marketable product. If you need any help with project development Id be glad to help both my parents where high school and college Science teachers in Biology, Chemistry, physics, you name it. Just drop me a line Id be more than glad to help you develop your idea.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:19 PM
Redfish

Cash: 650

Unlike my self you have a very good shot at achieving the goals you posted earlier in the thread...set your mind to it and it will happen. Best of luck....
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,902

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Buxton View Post
Hunting fool glad to here that your family interested in the Science fair. I myself won the ISEF overall award when I was in highschool. 1991 in Orlando Florida and Second place overall 1992 in San Juan Puerto Rico (lost to a guy who developed SPF sunscreen to put into outdoor paint to make it last longer). Ole Hackberry Hustler can confirm that for ya if you dont believe me. I developed various ground covers to grow commerical crops through. Mainly tomatos was the concentration of my research. Its most common around sw louisiana when watermelon planting. But in Florida and California they plant commerical grade tomatos on various ground covers that I developed and tested for overall yield in various weather conditions and overall climates. And your right it easily pays for college as well as puts a little cash in the pocket when you develop a marketable product. If you need any help with project development Id be glad to help both my parents where high school and college Science teachers in Biology, Chemistry, physics, you name it. Just drop me a line Id be more than glad to help you develop your idea.

WOW! this year my project was basically to determine the wood perfrence of reticuletermes flavips (fyi- termites) thru a series of choice and no choice testing.. testing like 7 different woods..
Old 05-17-2009, 01:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714
Default awesome

Thats pretty cool Fool. Keep it up man.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin fool View Post
WOW! this year my project was basically to determine the wood perfrence of reticuletermes flavips (fyi- termites) thru a series of choice and no choice testing.. testing like 7 different woods..

[SIZE=7]WHAT???????????????[/SIZE]
Old 05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Redfish

That sounds awesome could really put some insight into what we need to build our homes out of here in Louisiana if your tests show a significant difference across the board....heres a hint for you expand your project to 14 wood species....same 7 your already doing but in the other same 7 wood species add a humdity factor such as enclose them in a place with a humidifier and watch what happens....record those humidites in your 7 with no humidity versus those with humidifier. Your gonna see a big difference in how fast they deteriorate the wood with more humid climate versus everyday humdity...The reason for doing this is that under ground and under homes where the naturally live is usually very moist damp "HUMID" spaces that allows there colonies to really flurish. It could be a second part of your project for maybe next year with same research to show that the less humid you can make your dwelling the less apt you are to have a infestation that is uncontrollable. Just a thought....run with it if you feel like...I can do this all day.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Flounder

Trent, maybe you should try that project. Cause you sure ain't working this week and spending way too much time on the 'puter.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Buxton View Post
That sounds awesome could really put some insight into what we need to build our homes out of here in Louisiana if your tests show a significant difference across the board....heres a hint for you expand your project to 14 wood species....same 7 your already doing but in the other same 7 wood species add a humdity factor such as enclose them in a place with a humidifier and watch what happens....record those humidites in your 7 with no humidity versus those with humidifier. Your gonna see a big difference in how fast they deteriorate the wood with more humid climate versus everyday humdity...The reason for doing this is that under ground and under homes where the naturally live is usually very moist damp "HUMID" spaces that allows there colonies to really flurish. It could be a second part of your project for maybe next year with same research to show that the less humid you can make your dwelling the less apt you are to have a infestation that is uncontrollable. Just a thought....run with it if you feel like...I can do this all day.

well i had them inclosed running 2 different types of test, one being a "no choice" and the other being a choice

for the no choice i had 2 petri dishes one being filled with sand and other being filled with 1 of the woods, they were connected with tubing so the termites could go to the wood.

the choice was a large petri dish and had 7 tubes running off of it to 7 different woods (in small petri dishes).

since termites like humidity i sprayed down all the wood consequetively.

my hypothesis was that termites would prefer softwoods over hardwoods but would eat on any food source availble
Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Redfish

LSUH2Ofowler....you right...im wasting the day away a little bit...its been raining here since before daylight....I AINT GETTIN WET if I can help it. LOL

FOOL sounds like a good start. hope it all goes well for you DID you try cedar or cypress by chance...they are both considered SOFT woods yet termites will not touch them...might be worth looking into
Old 05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
the harley davidson model...once again, was beggin the "lil cutey pie" to come take a picture

Fool is 2cool!!!!Fool is this your new Girl????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (92.8 KB, 68 views)
Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714
Default Hat

WOW!!! Fool is that your pimp hat?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Redfish

Fool... you're my new hero...you are the man!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default ?

daaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyum Fool
Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM
Redfish

Look at that **** eating grin on that boys face....it dont get any better than that.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:55 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

The Kat in the HAT!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 924
Thumbs up

Congrats on all your achievements, keep up the good work and you can be whatever you want to be in life. IMO Marine Biologist would be an awesome field for you to be in .
Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Great White

i went to post the pics and this popped up- how do i fix them?

The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 531 x 360
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

Thumbs up ?

Quote:
i went to post the pics and this popped up- how do i fix them?

The Dimension limits for this filetype are 620 x 280. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 531 x 360

http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26
Old 05-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Great White

all the fishing pics are in the fishing section! [SIZE=5]go here to see the fish!!!!!!! [SIZE=3]http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4945#post4945[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Last edited by huntin fool; 05-17-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

Fool hats off lil dude!! Got the brains and the women folk!!

One question....where is yer hand???

JJK with ya fool good luck with termites!! They been swarming lately, hurry up!!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .