SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo)

The Shooting Range (Guns & Ammo) Discuss anything related to firearms and ammunition here!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:08 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 462
Default 12 gauge shotgun

Looking into buying a new 12 ga. for duck and squirrel hunting. Havent owned a shotgun in years and my last one was a remington 1100. Any input on a good quality gun would be helpful, or input on ones to stay away from. Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. I use a Remington 887 (pump) for everything. Probably not the best gun on the market, but for the money, its a good gun.

I had issues with it at first, with it jamming every time I pumped it. Sent it back to Remington, and in less than 2 weeks, had if back. I've only had it jam twice since then, and I've had the gun 2 years now. Shot everything from 3 inch turkey loads to target loads through it, handles them all pretty well. Hunt everything from turkey to squirrel with it. Its relatively light, at least compared to my PawPaw's '57 A-5 which I shot for a year+ until I was sitting in the marsh at Sabine watching the gun rust.

So, I put er up, got the 887 with its Armorlok coating, and haven't looked back.

But its all personal need. Sometimes I miss shooting that semi-auto, but the pump is just a fun challenge in hunting, and at the time, it fit in my price range.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Im also in the market for a shotgun. I havent had one in about 7 years since all of my guns were stolen. Ive only ever shot a pump shotgun... Not sure what to get either... and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that ill probably rarely use.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Im also in the market for a shotgun. I havent had one in about 7 years since all of my guns were stolen. Ive only ever shot a pump shotgun... Not sure what to get either... and i dont want to spend a fortune on something that ill probably rarely use.
ill sell ya one!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Free fifty?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

If your looking for a Pump the Novas are nice. I won a Mossberg Pump in Camo at a DU event several years ago and it seems to be a nice gun. I keep it as a back up gun at the camp. I also have an old 870 that was my go to for many many years. If your looking for an automatic I'd recommend a Berreta or a Benelli. I shoot a Berreta. You can't go wrong with either. It's all about what you want the gun to do and how much you have to spend.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:16 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

I know it's not really cool to shoot a pump anymore, but I shoot a SuperNova. Bought it used about 5 years ago and have not had any problems with it. I love it.

My dad has the 887 and has been nothing but problems.
Old 08-04-2014, 12:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by AubreyLaHaye458 View Post
My dad has the 887 and has been nothing but problems.
That's about 50% of the reviews I hear. Its definitely a hit or miss. What has he had issues with on his?

I like my 887, but given a second chance, I may have gone with a different gun. MAY HAVE. I was very impressed with Remington's customer service and haste in getting my gun fixed and back to me. I had 2 different gunsmiths in Lake Charles look at the gun, and neither could fix it. I think they just didn't know what they were doing, cause it took longer to ship my gun and get it back than it did for Remington to fix it. 2 weeks there and back. My gun sat at a gunsmith's for 2 weeks before he looked at the damn thing, then called me to say he couldn't fix it.

Will definitely consider giving any future business to Remington as well.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
That's about 50% of the reviews I hear. Its definitely a hit or miss. What has he had issues with on his?

I like my 887, but given a second chance, I may have gone with a different gun. MAY HAVE. I was very impressed with Remington's customer service and haste in getting my gun fixed and back to me. I had 2 different gunsmiths in Lake Charles look at the gun, and neither could fix it. I think they just didn't know what they were doing, cause it took longer to ship my gun and get it back than it did for Remington to fix it. 2 weeks there and back. My gun sat at a gunsmith's for 2 weeks before he looked at the damn thing, then called me to say he couldn't fix it.

Will definitely consider giving any future business to Remington as well.

Everything. Not shucking shot shells. No loading new shells. Shells getting stuck. It's probably just a bad one but it's left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 481

Bought a Mossberg 500 A a few years back, it would drop shells out of the mag tube on recoil but a quick 1/16" bend to the cartridge stop and it's run like a champ since.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

If you're looking for a inexpensive auto check out the weatherby sa-08. I've seen a lot of good reviews. Also check out the franchi
Old 08-04-2014, 09:09 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,549

A5400 Extrevincaxus is what I'd buy....
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 462
Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the input.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 PM
Flounder

Cash: 538

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
If your looking for a Pump the Novas are nice. I won a Mossberg Pump in Camo at a DU event several years ago and it seems to be a nice gun. I keep it as a back up gun at the camp. I also have an old 870 that was my go to for many many years. If your looking for an automatic I'd recommend a Berreta or a Benelli. I shoot a Berreta. You can't go wrong with either. It's all about what you want the gun to do and how much you have to spend.
U will not find another gun to out pattern the mossberg, the over sized barrel has a slower tapper which means the shot isn't going to cross as fast!

Op,, they have a lot of great shotguns on the market. I'd get what felt good.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

I have a Mossberg 935 I will make a sweet deal on. Gun is like new!
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 600 (basically an early 500) and is still my go to gun. After all the years and abuse it has never let me down. Dblbeard is right about the pattern. I have never found another brand of gun that compares to the pattern of a Mossberg. Another personal preferences is safety placement on the Mossberg. It's positioned on the top of the receiver where I can constantly keep my thumb on it. You can shoulder the gun and switch from on-safety to off-safety all in one motion. Super fast and convenient.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 481

Same here, been running a 500A for sixteen years. It's never failed or jammed.

Sent via dixie cup string phone.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:00 AM
Flounder

Cash: 538
Default Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I have a Mossberg 935 I will make a sweet deal on. Gun is like new!
How much?
Old 10-29-2014, 06:13 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

My vote would be on the Nova
Old 10-29-2014, 06:41 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 7,965

http://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/ext...rels_Three.jpg