SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:59 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,561

I hate resurecting this thread but here is an article I read this morning that pertains to this whole situation...

http://www.usacarry.com/arrested-home-burglary/

Unless you live in the state of Texas, I encourage you to pay attention to what happened to a homeowner in Utah. The homeowner arrived at his house to find a suspicious vehicle in his driveway and his front door wide open.

He retrieved a gun from his car and attempted to hold the two people in his driveway at gunpoint. However, when they tried to drive away he shot at the vehicle in an attempt to disable it. What’s more, a burglar came out of the house and ran when he saw the homeowner, and the homeowner chased after the guy and ended up firing a shot.
When all was said and done, the burglar who came out of the house and the homeowner were both arrested and booked into jail. So what did this homeowner do wrong?

Ohhh where do I begin?
First off, this homeowner was either asleep during his concealed carry course or he didn’t pay attention whatsoever. Remember, you can only use deadly force when you are in fear for your life or seriously bodily injury. When the homeowner approached the car and the occupants tried to drive away, they were obviously no longer a threat.
Plus, trying to disable the car by shooting out a tire or shooting the engine block just proves he wasn’t in fear for his life. If he was, he would’ve shot the occupants and not the car.
And when the other burglar came out of the house and started running, it is never a good idea to chase after him, let alone shoot at him. Again, the burglar was running away so he is no longer a threat. Plus, if you chase him and do catch him you don’t know what knives, tools, or guns he has on him.

The fact is, this homeowner is very lucky…
That he didn’t hit the occupants in the car and that he didn’t hit the burglar he was chasing after. If he did, who knows how long he’d end up in jail. What this homeowner should have done is pulled over to the side of the street when he saw a suspicious vehicle in his driveway. He should have called 911 and given them the license plate and waited for police to arrive.

I realize that’s not the macho thing to do and most people will want to approach the car and confront the burglars. All I can say is this: If you do and they flee, just let them go. And if they don’t flee and you’re forced to shoot them, then you may end up wishing for the rest of your life you had just waited in your car and been a good witness.
In other words, resist the macho side we all have, and exercise self-discipline. Your life is far too important to have it ruined because some low-life burglar broke into your house to steal a TV and you felt the need to confront him or chase after him.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Glad to know that. I still dont like it! Or agree with it. but thats how things work (leagally) but if criminals feared for their lives every single time the commited their crimes, not knowing if their next victum will be armed and prepared to protect their investments. Then maybe we wouldnt have so many damn low-life, good for nothing theives! And maybe they would then try to get an honest mans job so i wouldnt have to raise their damn familys with my hard earned money! Making it harder and harder to provide for my family! ... Sorry for the rant but as i typed i got more and more pissed about this... Lol Good day guys!

Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android dominating the world!)
Old 02-13-2013, 10:34 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassYakR View Post
Glad to know that. I still dont like it! Or agree with it. but thats how things work (leagally) but if criminals feared for their lives every single time the commited their crimes, not knowing if their next victum will be armed and prepared to protect their investments. Then maybe we wouldnt have so many damn low-life, good for nothing theives! And maybe they would then try to get an honest mans job so i wouldnt have to raise their damn familys with my hard earned money! Making it harder and harder to provide for my family! ... Sorry for the rant but as i typed i got more and more pissed about this... Lol Good day guys!

i agree whole heartedly but in this day in age....the lawyers hold the power...come to think of it....they hold the power in washington too...but no politics in this...it is what it is.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

Its very sad. But as u said it is what it is. It will never change (for the better) anyways.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,007

It's not that you fear for your life this time, but i as a homeowner would fear they would come back another day and they would shoot first. Preventive maintenance.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULPHITE View Post

That he didn’t hit the occupants in the car and that he didn’t hit the burglar he was chasing after. If he did, who knows how long he’d end up in jail. What this homeowner should have done is pulled over to the side of the street when he saw a suspicious vehicle in his driveway. He should have called 911 and given them the license plate and waited for police to arrive.

I realize that’s not the macho thing to do and most people will want to approach the car and confront the burglars. All I can say is this: If you do and they flee, just let them go. And if they don’t flee and you’re forced to shoot them, then you may end up wishing for the rest of your life you had just waited in your car and been a good witness.
In other words, resist the macho side we all have, and exercise self-discipline. Your life is far too important to have it ruined because some low-life burglar broke into your house to steal a TV and you felt the need to confront him or chase after him.

Following this advice is also for your protection. You don't know how many people are in your home, if they are armed, or anything like that. You could walk right into an ambush. I think this is a facet of the laws that many people don't realize.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Quote:
He should have called 911 and given them the license plate and waited for police to arrive.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
It's not that you fear for your life this time, but i as a homeowner would fear they would come back another day and they would shoot first. Preventive maintenance.
I like the sound of that
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
I hate resurecting this thread but here is an article I read this morning that pertains to this whole situation...

http://www.usacarry.com/arrested-home-burglary/

Unless you live in the state of Texas, I encourage you to pay attention to what happened to a homeowner in Utah. The homeowner arrived at his house to find a suspicious vehicle in his driveway and his front door wide open.

He retrieved a gun from his car and attempted to hold the two people in his driveway at gunpoint. However, when they tried to drive away he shot at the vehicle in an attempt to disable it. What’s more, a burglar came out of the house and ran when he saw the homeowner, and the homeowner chased after the guy and ended up firing a shot.
When all was said and done, the burglar who came out of the house and the homeowner were both arrested and booked into jail. So what did this homeowner do wrong?

Ohhh where do I begin?
First off, this homeowner was either asleep during his concealed carry course or he didn’t pay attention whatsoever. Remember, you can only use deadly force when you are in fear for your life or seriously bodily injury. When the homeowner approached the car and the occupants tried to drive away, they were obviously no longer a threat.
Plus, trying to disable the car by shooting out a tire or shooting the engine block just proves he wasn’t in fear for his life. If he was, he would’ve shot the occupants and not the car.
And when the other burglar came out of the house and started running, it is never a good idea to chase after him, let alone shoot at him. Again, the burglar was running away so he is no longer a threat. Plus, if you chase him and do catch him you don’t know what knives, tools, or guns he has on him.

Utah .........

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerun View Post
The sentiment is understandable, but as a legal theory it will be a hard sell.

This legal theory has worked on rare occasions where a habitual abuser was known to the victim (The Burning Bed), but making it fly in a case of "random" break-ins is going to be difficult.

The closest case I know of is the case of a liquor store owner who chased a shoplifter outside and shot him in the jaw while he sat in the getaway car. The best attorney in town represented him and managed to get prosecutors to drop the charges after past robberies and violent attacks at the liquor store came to light. http://thesidebar.freedomblogging.co...-shooter/6781/

However, this did not keep the shoplifter from filing a civil suit because the store owner's actions were not covered by the state's "make my day" law. See: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...-who-shot-him/
Old 02-13-2013, 12:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
What this homeowner should have done is pulled over to the side of the street when he saw a suspicious vehicle in his driveway. He should have called 911 and given them the license plate and waited for police to arrive.
While I agree that the use of deadly force is not appropriate to stop a burglary, I am not sure I can agree that the best approach is always to observe and merely be a good witness without any attempt at intervention.

What if I had left my children at home to run a quick errand and return to find a burglary in progress?

What if items of particular concern are in the home:
-life saving medications that cannot be quickly replaced
-confidential materials
-firearms or explosives
-dangerous drugs
-keys or codes that permit easy access to the above
-keys or codes or information that makes family members vulnerable to personal attacks
-information that would facilitate identity theft
-medical records by which a party could be blackmailed
-financial records that would encourage additional crimes
-romantic or relational records/photographs that should be kept private
-a work computer with company secrets or proprietary information
-confidential counseling records or files

A homeowner certainly has the proper standing to confront parties who have made illegal entry into his home and appear to be making off with items of value or related to privacy concerns or future security concerns. Of course, there are rules of engagement that vary by state, and moving to deadly force prematurely in a confrontation can have legal consequences. I think it is a mistake to presuppose that the only thing a homeowner stands to lose is a TV or consumer electronics.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Entering A World of Pain

First of all..."W"ambo quoted the article which is not my words...

Seeing as his amoeba sized brain cannot comprehend reality, I don't know what I would do in that situation.

I do agree I am 911 at my house. If I am ever in a situation such as above I will act based on emotion, adrenaline and hopefully I will have enough clarity to make the right descision....until one of us is in this situation you wouldn't understand.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:17 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,142

Dead men can't testify
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm4x43732 View Post
Dead men can't testify
Agreed...in my house they die.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:40 PM
Ling

Cash: 4,258

shoot them as they come outside,then put kitchen knives in their hands. Hehehe
Old 02-14-2013, 09:36 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Quote:
First of all..."W"ambo quoted the article which is not my words...

Seeing as his amoeba sized brain cannot comprehend reality, I don't know what I would do in that situation.

I do agree I am 911 at my house. If I am ever in a situation such as above I will act based on emotion, adrenaline and hopefully I will have enough clarity to make the right descision....until one of us is in this situation you wouldn't understand.
That's Racist and profiling ... You don't know the size of my brian !!!

I'm calling H.R.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

I'm calling H.R.
Well, how big IS your "Brian"?
Old 02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Pahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! Lmao!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

"My Brian's bigger than yours!!!!!!"
Old 02-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Entering A World of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post

I'm calling H.R.
go ahead i'll write you up for insubordination till my pen goes "click, click, click"