SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334
Default Real Pizzer

Great economic story boys and girls.

Very successful entrapaneur in northeast Louisiana and friend of my uncle brings his business back home for the economic benefit of his home parish. He borrows to build a million $ manufacturing plant that is state of the art so he can continue to supply his fortune 500 clients.

Fast forward 5 years, on Monday while coming into town I noticed the large forsale signs infront of the building. I asked my aunt about the signs and was told he couldn't find anyone who wanted to work and was moving back to Mississippi where he could find reliable labor. In a town with unemployment over the national average he can't find people who will actually WORK! The kicker in this whole saga is the entrapenuer is a black guy who made good!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

I see the same crap in my line of work... They all complain about Hispanics taking all the work but the thing is they won't get off their arse to do the job...
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Same in the offshore construction business. 75% Filipino labor.
Drive from Broussard to Morgan City. You will see 50 billboards with service companies looking for workers. Good paying jobs.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

These days, in this country, it pays too good to do nothing. Just as bad is that many of those who say they want to work have no skill level!
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I am building a house right now and so far all my labor has been from south of the border but has also had legal papers. I had people give me a hard time about using these guys but they are bidding nearly half the cost to do work and have done better work then many locals do and after receiving bids from locals I have found that the same guys bidding me nearly $10sqft to frame are using the same guys I am hiring to do the work..... either people are getting way to greedy to work or way to lazy
Old 11-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Blue Marlin

I have Americans come sometimes looking for work but they only wanna work 6 hrs a day, get paid 30/hr and can't even read a tape measure, and the stay on the cell phone all day like its their god given right ! On the other hand the Hispanics I have you have to beg them to take a break n drink a bottle of water so they don't fall out. They want to work from 6:30 am- 8pm if u let em
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Blue Marlin

Yeah all my guys have papers . They work long hours , I pay them well , they save $ by living 8 guys to a house , they don't drive 60k$ trucks ....
Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
Yeah all my guys have papers . They work long hours , I pay them well , they save $ by living 8 guys to a house , they don't drive 60k$ trucks ....
And at 45 years old or younger they will retire back to mexico as rich folks
Old 11-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
Most of my guys say they will never go back, they have kids in school here ect
Old 11-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
My framer is 33yrs old and told me he plans to retire in a couple yrs and go back to Hondoras... he and his crew were very clear about how they disliked Obama and his handling of border jumpers, said it makes them look bad and harder to find work and Obama is giving jumpers a free pass and health care
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Flounder

Cash: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeater View Post
I am building a house right now and so far all my labor has been from south of the border but has also had legal papers. I had people give me a hard time about using these guys but they are bidding nearly half the cost to do work and have done better work then many locals do and after receiving bids from locals I have found that the same guys bidding me nearly $10sqft to frame are using the same guys I am hiring to do the work..... either people are getting way to greedy to work or way to lazy
Give it 5 years and you'll see why local labor is more expensive. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Sailfish

I have inspected and had a friend the use to build houses (he did everything from start to finish) inspect it and so far everything is spot on, squared up and anything I asked them to change they changed...... I ain't afraid of their work at all and plan to use same crews in the future, just because someone is local and white don't mean they do it right.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I had 2 Hispanics I worked with, brothers, one was a painted and one was a pipe fitter. They saved up living together in a 1 bedroom apartment, worked every minute they could and saved every penny they could. They recently moved back to Honduras to live on the 400 acre ranch they bought. Right before they left the purchased a 3 year old Case tractor and had it shipped to home. They going to have to work when they get back home but everything is paid for and they have a couple hundred head of cattle with a meat market on the ranch. One is 34 the other is 29..... I'd say they did it right.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1230 View Post
Give it 5 years and you'll see why local labor is more expensive. All I can say is you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're right u do get what u pay for, I don't see the point in paying a hungover American 10/ sqft to frame a house that has the " I can't see it from my house" attitude!
I own 2 construction companies , 1 of which I have all legal Hispanics and I charge more for our services that 99% of other crews..... Because we take our time , do it right the first time , and are reliable . When I first moved to Louisiana I could not believe the lack of skill and pride " local" crews had... I didn't have to wait 5 years I could see how bad they sucked right away.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Blue Marlin

Headknocker

Lack of skill and pride has caused me to fire several people already. It seems like an epidemic down here! Every one I have sent down the road wouldn't make a week's check where I started! Worst part is, the ones coming in demanding the most, were the ones worth the least! It has taken 3 years to finally get a team that I can count on and, they get paid very well. Christmas bonuses are gonna hurt this year! LOL! They've done good by me though.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:19 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
Lack of skill and pride has caused me to fire several people already. It seems like an epidemic down here! Every one I have sent down the road wouldn't make a week's check where I started! Worst part is, the ones coming in demanding the most, were the ones worth the least! It has taken 3 years to finally get a team that I can count on and, they get paid very well. Christmas bonuses are gonna hurt this year! LOL! They've done good by me though.
I can't agree more. I've never seen so many horrible carpenters, sloppy plumbers, crappy painters. It's taken me years to fine good guys I want on my team as well
Old 11-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Can yall clarify a little bit? It sounds like yall are saying the labor where you came from up north is way better than all the Louisiana workers you have hired. In fact it sounds like yall rather hire mexicans for half the price you would have to pay a native of Louisiana. I just want to make sure I understand your opinion of the people of Louisiana.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I no pay taxes seniôr. Gringo hire me I send money to Los cabos
Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 PM
Blue Marlin

Bmac, don't get em in a wad. Fact is, all my workers in my shop are American. I went through a great deal of native la folks to get the ones I wanted though. Brought one from Oklahoma to make it happen. As far as "the peolple of Louisiana," drop the pride deal. I live here too. Unlike you, I came here and opted to stay so, no, I'm not talking la down. Fact is though, a great deal of workers don't care about what they produce here and, that's something I haven't experienced elsewhere. Bare in mind, I've traveled to multiple countries and the majority of the United States. Make of it what you will.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Can yall clarify a little bit? It sounds like yall are saying the labor where you came from up north is way better than all the Louisiana workers you have hired. In fact it sounds like yall rather hire mexicans for half the price you would have to pay a native of Louisiana. I just want to make sure I understand your opinion of the people of Louisiana.
They all make the same in my craft but yes the Mexicans come to work to work! They never complain, they are willing to work until the job is done, and they do quality work. Now the ones that DR Horton hires for cheap labor to build these crappy houses like I live in do some shady work.