SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460
Default Crawfish

I know it's a long shot but anybody know where to catch some crawfish. I live in thibodaux but not where I grew up so I don't know the "spots".

belle river, Pierre Part isn't to far to go but I have no idea where to even start.

Any ideas roadways or areas please let me know.

I'd like to bring the girls with some set nets once it gets warm again.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I went around LaTour in the cane fields and caught a half sack a couple times. There really is no bang up place for a weekend warrior around here. Every couple of years they seem to tear them a new hole in Bayou Laourche. If all that fails....... 13s a Dozen or Canal Seafood.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Can't even catch crawfish in "crawfish ponds" right now, good luck. Blame it on Ol' Man Winter.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Crawfish are non-existent right now, due to weather. Prices, if you can find them, are gonna be high. As cold as it has been, it'll likely be sometime around May before the weekend guy will really be able to go catch something worth going for.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:37 PM
Swordfish

To hot
To cold
To wet
To dry
Winters to long
Winters to short
Waters to high
Waters to low
To cloudy
To sunny

We will always have an excuse why there are no crawfish.

ETA; my best friend fishes a few days a week in one of the Dufrene Ponds on HWY 90 between LA1 And Spahrs. The most he caught so far this year is 9 pounds running 40 traps.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
To hot
To cold
To wet
To dry
Winters to long
Winters to short
Waters to high
Waters to low
To cloudy
To sunny

Yeah, there's always a reason but, this year has been pretty harsh. After Easter though, they'll start dropping and, people will be able to buy em without having to take out a second mortgage. I know the year I spent chasing them was dang tough until April. By the end of that month, we were catching 28-30 sacks a day.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
To hot
To cold
To wet
To dry
Winters to long
Winters to short
Waters to high
Waters to low
To cloudy
To sunny

Trust me, crawfish have been plentiful over the years, even early in the season, till now. The prices were high in previous years till maybe Jan. or Feb. This year it will be a while before crawfish are plentiful or prices go down.

Reference, Southern's post.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Swordfish

Have you ever heard a news report where they interviewed a fisherman and they said....... The conditions are perfect this year, we should have a bumper crop!

I never have even when have mild winters, this winter haz been harsh however.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Had the same conversation with a friend a few weeks ago. I don't think we will evere see 10 dollar sacks again.

But to what I was asking before about where to go.
I don't mean right now or even in the next week. I'm really trying to find an area once it warms up. Growing up around Laplace we used to go to the spillway in norco.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:32 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
Had the same conversation with a friend a few weeks ago. I don't think we will evere see 10 dollar sacks again.

But to what I was asking before about where to go.
I don't mean right now or even in the next week. I'm really trying to find an area once it warms up. Growing up around Laplace we used to go to the spillway in norco.

Last year at the end of the season there was 15-20 dollar sacks to be had. I know a guy that lost an 18 wheeler full of crawfish cause there were so many he couldn't sell em.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:51 PM
Trophy Trout

after lent they go down dramaticly. I'm not worried about buying them. I'm wanting to get some ideas of where I can do some "side da road" crawfishing with the kids.

Not looking for gps coordinates just some ideas roadways or spillway areas on this side the river (I grew up around garyville,reserve Laplace area) and live in thibodaux now so I don't know where to go. Other than randomly try ditches on the side the road until I get lucky.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,771

Crawfish very scarace 25 test traps= 6 crawfish not good fellas
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 899

12 test traps for us yielded 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket. Nice looking bugs too.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:03 AM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricecb View Post
after lent they go down dramaticly. I'm not worried about buying them. I'm wanting to get some ideas of where I can do some "side da road" crawfishing with the kids.

Not looking for gps coordinates just some ideas roadways or spillway areas on this side the river (I grew up around garyville,reserve Laplace area) and live in thibodaux now so I don't know where to go. Other than randomly try ditches on the side the road until I get lucky.

Most of the folks here are west side the state folks. I'm in Raceland so I'll try to help you with what I know. With the very few areas that I know. Every so often you can catch them straight out of Bayou Lafourche, one year it was in Matthews, one year it was between Thibodaux and Napolioville, one year it in St. Charles community. People go on Prospect Extention all the time although I very seldomly see people catching and I drive it every day. You can put some in the Ditches going into the Marsh on the Brule Road (between Thibodaux and Chacahoula. You can also try in the swamp off the Kramer road. Behind LaTour they have some back roads with ditches running through the cane fields, I wnet back there before and caught a few. If you have access to the 40 Arpent Canal you can catch them in there. Thats about all i know about.

If that doesn't work out LaPlace is only 45 minutes away.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Trophy Trout

Thanks swamp. I've seen it when they we're in the bayou a few times but that only happens every few years. A couple years ago GW were writing tickets left and right for over the limits. The bayou had most of the parish with set nets in it.

I appreciate the ideas. Once it gets warm I will start to go looking around. If I find them I sure will let you know.

I remember as a little boy my dad bringing us to belle river and we crawfished on the side of the road somewhere. It was cypress swamp but easy access. We only made the ride two maybe three times that I can remember.

Looking back he may have just wanted to take the ride more than the crawfish. With 4 sons we always had some kind of game or wild caught food depending on the season.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Last year at the end of the season there was 15-20 dollar sacks to be had. I know a guy that lost an 18 wheeler full of crawfish cause there were so many he couldn't sell em.
Let us know if you hear of this again....I am sure a few people here on SC would take a few sacks off his hands.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
Let us know if you hear of this again....I am sure a few people here on SC would take a few sacks off his hands.

I didn't know till after it happened. I was like why didn't you call me? I like crawfish...
Old 02-27-2014, 01:13 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

If you want to bring your girls my dad does crawfish tours. He can take yall on the boat, bait, and run traps. We have everything you need here at the lodge to cook em that night.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Blue Marlin

Price, The Bonnett Carre still produces some in the spring time. It's pretty cool, really. There has been only once for me but, we caught crawfish up by the river and, crab on the other side of Airline!
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshRat89 View Post
If you want to bring your girls my dad does crawfish tours. He can take yall on the boat, bait, and run traps. We have everything you need here at the lodge to cook em that night.
I got a few in laws with ponds but you know how that is. Which I understand because its not just xtra money. I just looking for some side road action.