SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-25-2015, 03:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Anybody that shoots coots is alright in my book
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.2 KB, 239 views)
Old 06-25-2015, 03:59 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
It's the difference between reading the menu left to right (looking at the entrees first) and reading the menu right to left (looking at the prices first).

I encourage my wife to read the menu left to right (without regard for cost) when I take her to dinner, because we don't get to go out much, we earn a good living, and the money we're spending is our own.

But in government, every tax dollar that gets spent gets taken from a hard working citizen under threat of imprisonment. This FACT necessitates that those governing should read the menu right to left.

Elected officials should first consider how much in tax dollars it is reasonable to take from their citizens at the barrel of a gun.

Then they should decide how to most reasonably spend those tax dollars to provide the best government to their citizens.

Reading the menu left to right is inherently different: First liberals decide how much government they need. Then they calculate how much to take from hard working citizens (at the barrel of a gun) to pay for it. This approach inevitably leads to bigger government and higher taxes.

Money gets taken from hard working citizens at the barrel of a gun to pay for every government program. Jindal recognizes this and worked hard to cut taxes knowing that limited cash would provide more leverage for the hard work of actually shrinking government (or at least growing it more slowly). Yes, there was pain and disagreement. But without this approach, we'd have a much bigger, more expensive, and more intrusive LA state government than we have now.
You can understand my confusion in your first post, though, correct? This is much clearer than what you originally said. I mean, the fact of the matter is, no liberal will ever utter "reduce" and "government" in the same sentence, unless its "the government reduced my welfare benefits".

That's not to say all liberals are on welfare, but you get my point.

I understand that Jindal had to reduce the government by means of reducing taxes, but why do you keep ignoring my other comments about Jindal being a "Yes Man" and bowing to public opinion at every chance he gets? Hell, even Obama doesn't do that; I can at least respect him for that, if nothing else.

You've made it a point to state all the things you think Jindal has done well, but have failed to address anything that I've stated against him. How anyone can believe that his actions as of late are in anyone's interest but his own is beyond me. Look no further than his moves to veto the vote on his security spending and the cost of living raise for Louisiana government retirees. I think its bull that our state is footing the bill for his security detail when he is not even doing work for the state, and as far as I'm concerned, most trips out of the state by the Governor are not state-related, and should not be paid for by the state. I understand that the State Police is tasked with protecting the Governor, but if it isn't for State business, it should not come out of the State Police's budget.

So how is that "reducing the size of the government" when you're spending more of the state's money on your own damn travel?
Old 06-25-2015, 04:03 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
You've made it a point to state all the things you think Jindal has done well, but have failed to address anything that I've stated against him. How anyone can believe that his actions as of late are in anyone's interest but his own is beyond me.
He's a politician, like any other.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:22 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
He's a politician, like any other.
Correct. I'm just shining a light on something that has not been pointed out. His actions as of late, which so many outside of Louisiana point to as reasons to support him are just actions to get people to support him. It appears to be working for him, so hey, good for him. But man, he ain't foolin me. He's just riding the hot topics right now.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:48 PM
Flounder

Cash: 671

I would not mind Louisiana having a presidential library. It wouldn't hurt as much as obama.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:20 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

I thought my views were most aligned with Rand Paul, but after taking an extensive look into all of the candidates, sans Trump, my views were 89% aligned with Ted Cruz and only 87% with Rand Paul...I am a former republican, but current Libertarian.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:34 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
I understand that Jindal had to reduce the government by means of reducing taxes, but why do you keep ignoring my other comments about Jindal being a "Yes Man" and bowing to public opinion at every chance he gets?
It is much easier to judge whether a politician's actions agree with my conservative principles than to judge a politician's motives. Man looks at the outward appearance, only God can see the heart. Did he change his view on Common Core because he had an honest change of heart, or because he saw a political opportunity? I won't pretend to know, but I think the result was better policy, and I like that result.

I try to consistently judge actions rather than motives.

Quote:
You've made it a point to state all the things you think Jindal has done well, but have failed to address anything that I've stated against him. How anyone can believe that his actions as of late are in anyone's interest but his own is beyond me.
First, I agreed with you that robbing the trust funds was a bad move.

Second, I've explained why I prefer not to speculate regarding motives.

Third, I think the executive order regarding religious freedom is in the interests of people of faith throughout Louisiana, especially people of faith who have an objection of conscience regarding participation in homosexual weddings. It hasn't gotten much press, but since the Constitutional amendment in 2012, Jindal has taken a number of additional steps to protect RKBA, including a new law in 2015 to make it much harder for local governments to leverage zoning restrictions to limit hunting and shooting on private property.

Quote:
Look no further than his moves to veto the vote on his security spending and the cost of living raise for Louisiana government retirees. I think its bull that our state is footing the bill for his security detail when he is not even doing work for the state, and as far as I'm concerned, most trips out of the state by the Governor are not state-related, and should not be paid for by the state. I understand that the State Police is tasked with protecting the Governor, but if it isn't for State business, it should not come out of the State Police's budget.

So how is that "reducing the size of the government" when you're spending more of the state's money on your own damn travel?
This seems to me a lot like the Republican criticism of all of Obama's travel and security expenses, which I disagree with. Right or wrong, Obama has many more pressing decisions and important policy issues to face than his personal travel expenses. So does Jindal. I don't think Jindal has struck a good balance between his presidential aspirations and his service to Louisiana as governor, but to me this is a minor issue.

I'm more eager to hear the candidates ideas on federal policy than I am to debate the details of their security expenses.

Ultimately, I believe that a true conservative president will benefit Louisiana and our citizens in much greater proportion than the negatives that have been mentioned in Jindal's years as governor. Jindal's efforts to that end may be better spent than closer focus on Louisiana's present issues. This is the nature of a federal government bloated and out of control. The jobs of governor and president are not 40 hr a week type of deals. I am sure both Jindal and Obama have spent much more than that giving attention to governing. I won't begrudge either their travel. One need not take a vow of poverty to serve as governor or president.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:54 PM
King Mackeral

See, this is where we disagree again. He is CURRENTLY the Governor of Louisiana. The balance being off is not a minor issue. He has not been doing his duty to Louisiana. Wasn't there a report earlier this year that showed he traveled nearly half the year in 2014? What for? No way it was all for state business.

If I go off on a "business trip", but all I do is sell myself to try and benefit me, am I doing the job I was hired to do by my current employer?

I'm not saying he shouldn't campaign at all, but he's been in campaign mode for nearly 2 years now. That's a disservice to Louisiana.

To think that Jindal is going to turn around and be a good, conservative President when he's been mailing it in Louisiana seems to be shortsighted and misinformed. Do your job at home first, and let that speak for itself.

He will get ripped apart in any debate he participates in. Too many problems here for him to have a shot.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:18 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

The last legislative session , Jindal made the opening address then he showed up on the last day to try to get the votes he wanted. only 2 times he was on the floor.
Seems to me with our budget shortfall he should have been there leading the way
Old 06-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Ole Jeb
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/20...iQM/story.html
Old 06-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Flounder

Cash: 703

I would vote for any of the republican nominees before a dem but Perry would be way down on the list
Old 11-18-2015, 08:18 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

He gone

What is Jindal's next career move?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,577

#Darn
Old 11-18-2015, 10:07 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
He gone

What is Jindal's next career move?
Traveling motivational speaker.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 663

Heard wants something in the cabinet of the next president dealing with insurance ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk